Building a new sub, and need some help

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
joyride

Building a new sub, and need some help

Post by joyride »

Now that I am moving into my own home, I am planning my basement setup. I have the front/center/rear speakers, but I need a new sub to replace my cheap one. My concern is that I have a very large rectangle room to fill (15x35x8 ceiling). Currently I have a xenon and xmax (both 12's) with a bash 500 watt amp and a smaller 200 watt plate. Ideally I would plan to run stereo subs, but I dont have the money for another amp and matching sub. this will be mainly an HT sub, as I usually just run the mains for music.

My initial thoughts are to use the xenon due to its ability to play low. Im just not sure it will be enough for such a large room. I was thinking of maybe going with some radiators (like a smaller scale Submersive), but I dont know much about how to calculate the measurements/requirements of using PR. I would like to go sealed, btu I think port (another box type? BP? TL?) would be better to fill the large volume. What are you guys thinking? Any information/web pages on info for radiators?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Building a new sub, and need some help

Post by stipud »

Xenon ported or TL should be your best bet for sure, with the way those things drop low notes. PR's are great when you buy them in a matching set like my Peerless XLS setup, but it's hard to tune them to an unknown speaker. As long as your port is big enough, there will be no chuffing and it should be slightly more efficient overall than a PR setup anyways.