Want to get HD OTA channels through sat dish or antenna

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
capitolj80

Want to get HD OTA channels through sat dish or antenna

Post by capitolj80 »

I wanna take my hdtv over to my dads house on sunday and watch the football games with him. I know that both FOX and CBS will broadcast the games in HD. What I dont know for sure is the best way to get the HD signal to my TV since he only has the basic dish network satellite dish and receiver. Does the satellite picks up OTA channels? IF the satellite picks up FOX an CBS broadcasting in HD (probably a sub channel), and I connected straight from the satellite to the TV (with integrated HD tuner), would the tv receive and display HD? Or is this satellite not going to receive or reproduce these channels? Also, I thought of just using an HDTV antenna. I picked up the radio shack 15-2186. My dad lives in a rural area about 65 miles southwest of chicago (Mazon,IL). I dont know if this (or any) digital antenna can get these channels from out there, especially when the sun goes down. Do I have a chance of making this happen guys??
what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
BillM

Re: Want to get HD OTA channels through sat dish or antenna

Post by BillM »

Does he pay for his local channels for the Local News etc? If he does he may just be missing the HD channel because it does not come on without an HDTV. Use the guide on his Box to look for them.

If he does pay for locals just go plug your TV into his box you will get the HD feed. Even the cheapest DISH package comes with some Free HD channels. Your TV will just be able to display the HD signal. You will control your TV with the Dish remote.
capitolj80

Re: Want to get HD OTA channels through sat dish or antenna

Post by capitolj80 »

ill ask him about that, thanks :)
what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?