HORNS!

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Re: HORNS!

Post by nico boom »

After this it's off to bed....but I'm still listening and can't get out of the sweet spot. :wink:
Attachments
diversen en classics klaar 081.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 081.JPG (63.3 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
diversen en classics klaar 042.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 042.JPG (89.14 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
diversen en classics klaar 032.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 032.JPG (65.98 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
diversen en classics klaar 027.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 027.JPG (70.34 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
diversen en classics klaar 028.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 028.JPG (67.14 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
diversen en classics klaar 005.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 005.JPG (106.97 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
diversen en classics klaar 039.JPG
diversen en classics klaar 039.JPG (148.44 KiB) Viewed 13002 times
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Just simply insane!!! 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by joerg on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

JOERG ! How's things in the house going?

Still a lot of work to do or are you already living there..?
[Haven't been around here much since I had a bit of work to do on some speakers :wink: ]
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Have not been around alot myself since i´m working on the house every spare minute i´ve got available.
This weekend we´re moving all the stuff we have from the small flat to the house and hopefully we will sleep there for the very first time sunday.

Once things sattled in a little i´ll unload all the Phoenix Gold gear i have thru the bay since i don´t have the time to get online during work anymore. I changed departments within the company working in the "research and development" department now.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Sounds good Joerg, hope you'll be able to spend your first night in the new house on Sunday.... 8)
It's a lot of work, but man what a nice house you have now!
Wil and I wish you all the best from over here. Share some pics when you have some time to breath again. :wink:
Nico
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

After listening for a few weeks I suddenly had the oppertunity to buy a set of ElectroVoice horns that would fit my massive 2-inch Beyma drivers. These monster-drivers are almost 8Kg each and house a titanium dome inside the massive magnet-structure.
I removed the flanges from the EV940 horns so they would match the size of the Cobreflex midhorn that originally is mounted inside the mouth.

So this combo ended up inside the mouth of the University's and we went two-way active. The two Decware mono tube-amps for the mids/highs and a Denon 100W stereo-amp for lows.
The difference is HUGE... never before we experienced the coherence of a two-way system with such power reserves.

So this is the situation now, and when you say "this is it !" and you never want to change anything...you will want to try out something else.
Crossed over at 600Hz this combo plays extremely loud and clean with frightening dynamics. :lol:

Next step; we're trying out 12V amps again.
Attachments
940's in classics 003.JPG
940's in classics 003.JPG (66.91 KiB) Viewed 12925 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

:D
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

nico have you seen any of the Pi speakers or know of them at all? Wayne seems to openly share all of his findings working with horn loaded drivers and speaker/crossover designs over the last few decades, pretty impressive what can be achieved with horn/waveguide stuff now. I remember when "horn" and "hifi" where NEVER supposed to be used in the same sentence lol. I think my next project will be based on a set of his plans.
http://www.pispeakers.com/Technologies.html

If anyone else is interested, the advantage over a normal 2 way/3 way/etc conventional cone speaker is both increased sensitivity (so less power to achieve same/more spl/dynamics) and also a much more predictable wave dispersion, so essentially instead of one "sweet spot" in a room being where the horizontal axis of both stereo channels meet, you are in that sweet spot almost anywhere on the horizontal axis as long as you're in front of both speakers. I'm anxious to hear this for myself, stupid winter needs to hurry up so I can start building shit again.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Thanks for sharing the info, I am currently looking at that site though I don't think my wife will approve another project for some time as half of the work on this last build has been done in the livingroom.... :wink:

When considering a new build I can recommend you to look at a big two-way system. Also just recently found out that apart from not needing the power, active filtering AND a decent power amp for the bass-section does actually make a big horn perform much better.

While listening to the Klipsch La Scala's first with a MS2125, later one Decware Zen [2Watts stereo] tube amp and later with two [6Watts mono] , I was very pleased with the sound and volume.
But after building the Classics and some experimenting I found out that a good 100W power amp really lets the basshorns slam in a even more convincing way.

One example; my brother-in-law [who has a set of La Scala's at home and usually plays LOUD] stated that he felt "intimidated" by the classics and "really there" after a demo of Japanese drums from "Kodo" and "slagerij van Kampen" [our Dutch madmen on drums].
The realism with which these speakers can play such music-material has to be heard in person to believe.

Anyway; build yourself a pair of BIG horns and you'll experience first hand why I personally will always stick to horns. 8)
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

There's always something that can be tried out...
A couple of weeks ago I thought; what if I put one of my Bryston 4B amps on the low section of my speakers. :hmm:
Bryston 4B puts out 2x 250W rms at 8Ohms, the Denon only 100W. Just for fun I dragged the thing in the livingroom and hooked it up.
To end this story short; it stays there. You all know what a beefy amp does with a speaker in terms of control; never knew it would make any difference for my high efficiency system, using about one Watt to reach 104Db.

Now I only had to make room and a floor-standing shelf for the CD-player that sits above it ,since the 4B gets hot and would fry it.
Big drums now have much more attack and depth, and everything seems "quicker" than before.

So never be afraid of putting say a 100W amp on a 50 or even 25W speaker; it will only benefit from the control the bigger amp has over it.
Always FUN to fiddle around with some gear, accidently you might stumble upon a "good match"!
Attachments
4B 002.JPG
4B 002.JPG (66.61 KiB) Viewed 12747 times
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Haven't been around for some time, a lot of gear has been carried into the house since then [ see pics] and some has been taken out again as usual.
The rebuild University Classic's are at my brother-in-law's house now. He kept asking about them and I had two sets of cornerhorns stashed at my work at that time, so finally I had to make a dicission.

After a short visit of one of those set of Klipschorns [ which I desperately wanted to own some day but sounded not good enough in real life] ,now it's a set of [ Klipsch-like] cornerhorns with Altec 511B's and 806A alnico drivers that play the music over here.
Tom, Wendy and Nico ; you really should visit us in our new home one day!

In September, after the house make-over we'll finally be able to install everything permanently.
Then I'll use three MS275's for the setup with the minidsp 4x10. Test-run was very promissing....
Still enjoying those BIG horns and oldskool MS-amps. :wink:
Nico
Attachments
eckhorns en martijn 012.JPG
eckhorns en martijn 012.JPG (73.88 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
klipschorns op de zaak 036.JPG
klipschorns op de zaak 036.JPG (51.76 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
buffer, denon, phil. klasse A 027.JPG
grote baffles 001.JPG
grote baffles 001.JPG (56.09 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
KT88SE 022.JPG
KT88SE 022.JPG (90.9 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
monoblokken etc 004.JPG
monoblokken etc 004.JPG (91.25 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
oris setup 002.JPG
oris setup 002.JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

nico boom wrote:Haven't been around for some time, a lot of gear has been carried into the house since then [ see pics] and some has been taken out again as usual.
The rebuild University Classic's are at my brother-in-law's house now. He kept asking about them and I had two sets of cornerhorns stashed at my work at that time, so finally I had to make a dicission.

After a short visit of one of those set of Klipschorns [ which I desperately wanted to own some day but sounded not good enough in real life] ,now it's a set of [ Klipsch-like] cornerhorns with Altec 511B's and 806A alnico drivers that play the music over here.
Tom, Wendy and Nico ; you really should visit us in our new home one day!

In September, after the house make-over we'll finally be able to install everything permanently.
Then I'll use three MS275's for the setup with the minidsp 4x10. Test-run was very promissing....
Still enjoying those BIG horns and oldskool MS-amps. :wink:
Nico
DAY-UM!!!! The last car audio shop I worked at full time also had a home audio section with klipsch and definitive technology as their higher end speaker brands. I too have been wanting a nice klipsh horn since. Only been 17 yrs...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Holly horns batman!!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

If I had those I think the first pic would be of me sitting directly between them with the horns 3" from my ears just for fun. I certainly know better then to stick my ear that far from horns but those things are just so massive. Not sure I have seen bigger in home audio I would love to hear it all
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.