HORNS!

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

HORNS!

Post by nico boom »

For all of you who like to play LOUD and REALISTIC.... [and who doesn't :wink: ].
Check out this site;
http://www.voltiaudio.com/
Since I enjoy playing music at home more than ever with my upgraded Klipsch La Scala's, I'd like to mention this site here.
I know there are a lot of members who own a decent home-install, simply because if you got a decent [PG] install in your car, you also want to listen to a great install at home!
Greg knows A LOT about horns, as you can tell by looking at his site and he's a great and helpfull guy to talk with.
Enjoy!
Nico
pic; who said that PG car-audio can not be used in home-hifi..? :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3062.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG (81.26 KiB) Viewed 20194 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: HORNS!

Post by stipud »

Man audiophile stuff is expensive! :lol:
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

....Than build your own Tom.
If you learn how to build horns the way you build your computer then I'll be your first customer!
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

HA HA!! i noticed in his forsale section he had a three way setup which looked like the horn for the mids had the older style twisted phoenix gold wire hooked up to it nice. :thumbs:
Attachments
ft12.jpg
ft12.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 20109 times
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Hehe... you've got a eye for details I must admit. :clap:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

i bet those speaker's would crank if they where under the influence of phoenix gold :mrgreen:
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

The Golden One wrote:i bet those speaker's would crank if they where under the influence of phoenix gold :mrgreen:
Is this sarcasm that I am missing or did you not look close enough at the pics?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

ttocs wrote:
The Golden One wrote:i bet those speaker's would crank if they where under the influence of phoenix gold :mrgreen:
look's can be deceiving of course im mainly referring to older phoenix amp's and those speaker's would be loud. just like my friend that has a studio said the older studio equipment sounds better than the new, that's interesting because the tracks he played on it sounded better than most anything ive heard recently. :)
Last edited by The Golden One on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The Golden One wrote:
ttocs wrote:
look's can be deceiving of course im mainly referring to older phoenix amp's and those speaker's would be loud. just like my friend that has a studio said the older studio equipment sounds better that the new, that's interesting because the tracks he played on it sounded better than most anything ive heard recently. :)

Ok, again am I missing your sarcasm or did you not see the MS line of amps that is powering the speakers, setting on the amp rack right next to the speakers?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Hahaha! I'm missing the point as well.
I had them powered by the MS2250 connected to a 14.4 V / 100A powersupply....those La Scala's having a efficiency of 104Db/1w/1mtr.... :shaking2:
The towers I previously used were powered by the "Fosgate MS1000" hanging on the wall. And yes; powering home-audio with PG car-amps is sounding GREAT, I encourage everyone to try it and listen.
Nico
Attachments
DSC01570.JPG
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

what type of equalization are you using?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I used to have the EQ215 ix for equalizing and separating the signal for the towers and the separated 15 inch sub.
Sounded powerfull and full of details, the volume of the sub was remote-controlled from my listening-chair. :lol:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

i was referring to the speakers in the link that is in the first post, that is where i got the pic of the speaker from, i guess if you where you read the entire post you would know! heres the link if you get confused http://www.voltiaudio.com/forsale.shtml
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Ahhh... I didn't know that Greg used one of my pictures on his website.
That explaines it.
Still; you've got a eye for detail! :clap:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

dang that's cool, in another section i noticed some jbl horns, an older audiophile i talked to said that a person had his ears actually bleed from some jbl horns. i just wonder if that is possible (not that i would want to try it to find out) but since this was an older gent telling me this it maybe true. :cheese:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

because if the sensativity the can make almost anyones ears bleed. Because of the difference in efficiency it is commong to run a 1/3 octage eq to tune them which is why I asked what he was using.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Horns are capable to generate extreme S.P.L levels with only a few Watts r.m.s , normal speakers can do so as well, but require a lot more power to reach the same level.
When I feed these horns 16 Watts rms they produce 117Db SPL , a normal system needs 512 Watts rms to do so.
In a average room only 1-3 Watts are more than enough to play at normal to high listening levels; the membranes of the horns will barely move. That's why a good designed horn will give you hair triggering dynamics and very low destortion at high SPL .
Drawback; you need LARGE HORNS to produce really low bass, like the Klipschorn. This triangular speakercabinet is placed in the corners of the room, using the walls as a extention for the horn-mouth.
For me; it's the best sounding system I ever had. [modyfied to the demands of these modern times].
I own these speakers for more than 22 years now, and that tells it all doesn't it.... :wink:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

i wonder just how many undistorted rms watts can a setup like those klipsch horns handle before you experience breakup, just curious to know. :doh:
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I never dared to try......and I never will, to preserve my ears. People ask me why I have such bulky speakers in my house, capable of producing absurd SPL levels.
I ask them why they drive a car with much more horsepower than they actually need....
You simply experience the effordless with which these speakers reproduce loud music, like when in the blink of an eye you overtake a slower driver in your sportscar.
Luckily playing loud music at home is safer then driving fast [as long as you keep the neighbours happy....].
This world is full of underbuild junk that just makes it to the warranty-expiring date; let's buy [overbuild] quality-stuff, buy PG audio stuff for example! :wink:
Nico
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

yea i mainly like the phoenix amps that can hurt my ear's before they distort, it's not that i listen to them at that level for long periods of time. its just that i like to listen to undistorted power, but yea i can see that those horn's could get insainly loud real fast. :)
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

The Golden One wrote:yea i mainly like the phoenix amps that can hurt my ear's before they distort, it's not that i listen to them at that level for long periods of time. its just that i like to listen to undistorted power, but yea i can see that those horn's could get insainly loud real fast. :)

phoenix gold amps can hurt your ear sure if you use the amp to hit your head. They make power its the speaker that make the noise that your ears hear? :naughty: :shaking2:
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Current amp..... Decware "Zen" . 2x 2 single-ended [triode] Watts. More than enough to play loud in the livingroom with these horns [104Db/1w/1mtr.], and so life-like it gives me goosebumps more than once.
Attachments
zen 003.JPG
zen 003.JPG (65.03 KiB) Viewed 19701 times
zen 002.JPG
zen 002.JPG (78.58 KiB) Viewed 19701 times
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Me want some of those speakers tooo! :drool: I always liked the easy and smooth look of those. 8)
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

My ex- father in law is selling his. He's asking 2500 euro for the set [8 months old, normal retail is 8000 euro].
Pickup only!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

It looks like your RCAs are worth more than my home amp...

...I need to upgrade :cry:
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...