It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Noise Coming Through Speakers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 am 

Sup guys, trying my hand at home audio a little. I am not a big home audio guy and I know the components aren't very good, but the problem may not just be a quality of components issue so please hear me out.

I have a Logitech z-5500 surround setup...yes it was previously used for a computer and is not optimized to run a home system necesarilly, but money is tight and I can't pick up a new receiver right now between new apartment bills and wedding planning.

The receiver I am using only has an optical input, digital coax input, and direct 3.5mm input. The sub actually connects through a serial cable and the speakers are powered by the sub. It is a powered sub and the speaker outputs come right off the sub.

When I am using the digital coax for my dvd player or a 3.5mm input for my ipod, I hear a lot of sporadic bassy interference. It will be random subwoofer bass just spilling out over whatever is actually playing most of the time. It comes and goes. I have tried new cables but it has not helped and I don't have this problem with the optical input or if I do it is hardly noticeable.

Does it sound like I am describing a bad ground inside the receiver or could the main cable to the sub just be picking something up along the way? I have moved the coax and 3.5 mm wires around while I was getting the noise at times but it does not change or go away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and don't forget, I know how crappy the equipment is for home use, but it's all I can do for now or I'll be divorced before I get married : ).

I will look around on this forum later for anyone selling a decent receiver that is more affordable, I have always had great luck with everyone on the car audio forums.

Thanks.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12

Post subject: Re: Noise Coming Through Speakers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 am 

I almost wonder if the powered sub is putting out noise because so many other things are hooked up on 2 power strips through 2 shared outlets.

Would it be worth it to run an extension cord to a different outlet and just plug the sub in to see if I still get any interference?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]