Receiver Options

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Receiver Options

Post by stipud »

I'm finally making the BIG MOVE from 2.1 to 5.1!!! :lol:

This means I will need to replace my Audiosource Amp Seven T/Tuner Two combo with a new receiver. I don't know much about receivers, but I am sure I want some sort of MultEQ, 3+ HDMI inputs, and a good discrete amp section. My budget is around $500 or less... I appreciate value! ;). HDMI 1.4 is a nice to have for "future-proofing", but I am not a huge 3D fan anyways, so I would easily skip it for a better amp (as long as it decodes everything else just fine). I really wish they offered a simple HDMI decoder with no built in amplification, since I have plenty of Audiosource amps sitting here anyways!

Here are some local options, my favourites marked with a *. Anyone more experienced -- are there any good deals here? Or do you have any better alternatives? Seems like the good Denon and Onkyo units don't depreciate much!

*2008 Denon AVR 789 $220
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/e ... 68984.html

2009 Denon AVR 890 $425 NIB
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/e ... 25887.html

*2010 Denon AVR 891 $525
+HDMI 1.4
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/e ... 22797.html

2008 Onkyo TX-SR706 $350
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/e ... 94338.html

2009 Onkyo TX-SR607 $320
-2EQ < MultEQ
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/e ... 29146.html

*2011 Onkyo TX-NR609 $300
+HDMI 1.4
-2EQ < MultEQ
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/e ... 60592.html

*2011 Marantz NR-1402 Slimline $290
+HDMI 1.4
=5.1 class D
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/e ... 62935.html

2011 Yamaha RX-V671 $480
+HDMI 1.4
-YPAO < MultEQ
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/e ... 81243.html

The Denon/Onkyo seem like the best amplifiers overall. The Marantz is a pretty neat concept too... I am not averse to class D as long as it is done right (loving my current class T amp anyways). The Yamaha I am mostly unfamiliar with, but it seems like a so-so choice.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Receiver Options

Post by stipud »

23 views, no suggestions? Come on guys, spend my money! Or do I have to start banning people at random until you help me out??? ;)
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

I've always liked the Onkyo stuff as well as the Pioneer Elite stuff ... you can't go wrong either way and I personally have an Elite receiver and was money well spent. :mrgreen:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Myself owns a Yamaha RX-V740RDS and i´m more than happy with it.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have mixed emotions about onkyo. I sold them for years at a store and loved them and eventually got one myself. Spent the extra cash to get the integra line which was their flagship at the time and the dvd player only lasted for about 3 yrs, never was all that impressed with it. The reciever has held up nicely, still using it till I make that jump to the new 5.1 technology...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

I love my denon 2308ci , but it doesn't have line outs for each channel. It does however upscale darn near freaking everything to 1080p, then kick it out the hdmi output. Makes switching sources much easier, just set the tv to hdmi input from the denon, switch source on the denon. Wii, ps2, blue ray, cable box.... Only issue with that is it doesn't upscale 720p from cable box up(hdmi) so when you get 720p commercials, tv goes black for a second or two, then comes back... I'd look closer at the denons and see what has the features you want. May also check out your local shops. Many do close outs on floor models shortly after the new ones come out in aprilish, some start offering deals a few months ahead of time... If you get lucky, you can score a floor model with new warrantee for about half to third of retail.
joyride

Post by joyride »

I ended up getting an Marantz 8002 a few months ago, and am very happy with it. It does run hot, and can be a challenge to navigate but it sounds great and has everything that I need. Plus it didnt break the bank.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I have used Onkyo receivers for 5+ years and LOVE them compared to others I've seen. I have an Onkyo, I gave by brother my old Onkyo, I got my dad an Onkyo when building his system.

I've only dealt with Onkyo and Yamaha receivers, but I can tell you from my experience I like how I can micro-manage every little detail on my receiver. I can set the turn on volume, max volume, crossover freq's for every speaker independently for each source, ect.

The one thing that makes me mad about Onkyo tho is that they used to have "Learning" remotes, where you could program all your other remotes into one, but they ditched them in favor of "Universal".

A friend of mine and my mom both have Yamaha's and lemme tell ya, they suck.

**EDIT** Also, I've been noticing that less and less receivers have line level outs for dedicated amps, unless you want to spend $2500+. That sucks.
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I have a lead on an Onkyo TX SR 876 for $500 clams. Might go check it out tomorrow... seems pretty sweet. I doubt if the boxing day deals (Canadian black friday) will be any better. Maybe worth waiting to see the flyers...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Ah crud, it sold last night. Nothing else seemed half as good for the money :(

Boxing day flyers are looking pretty shitty right now too!
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Tom home audio is almost the same problem i have with car audio i always change to get bigger and better
I have used in the last 5 years:

yamaha, denon, hk and onyko, I also had a Marantz 7000 seires (hated it) and took it back that week.it had issuse maybe just that unit

The yamaha sounds great but there is alot of option you will never use also if there set up is still in m/s i hate that i would prefer in feet, the denon is great but most of there remotes suck
I like the 2 hk's i had but they get way to hot for my tastes. now i was on the fence with onkyo but i tried one its a 717thx it was about $800
I have 7.2 set now in my theater room and don't use multi room. i have to say so far (have had it almost a year) im very happy with it
lots of power doesn't get hot,easy set up and the remote is great. it has 2 hdmi 1.4 outs and like 8 inputs,works very well with my oppo103 dvd and my new epson 8700ub thx projector. I would say it one of the best till you spend about 12-1500 plus

the hk i had was there second from the top a 745 i think but it only had 2-3 in and one out. it looked great but i really didn't think it had the raw power my speaker needed.

Denon or onyko would be my pick and i would wait for a boxing day sale as there are some nice unit under your $500 range you will be happy with
i had the base model hk 145 it cost only 250 @ vision on there sale it was a good little reciever but it also loves to get hot and didn't have the output i liked.

this looks like a good deal also vision will price match boxing day at least that what the guy said
http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Categor ... ku=TXNR515
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Thx for the tips Mike, I was hoping you would post. Yeah, HK is not my thing now that they are cheapo Chinese designed marketing company. The Pioneer receivers are class D too, which would be cool if they were smaller, but less nice in a full size AVR. I def like Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo/Marantz the most overall.

As for boxing day... choices, choices... The $350ish range seems to be the most competitive and the best fit for my system. Trickle down of features means I can buy less receiver and still get away with it. Benefit is a warranty and a lot of the HDMI bugs of the used 4 year old high end units will be worked out.

I'm going to stick with one of these three options:

Denon AVR-1713
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 00091.aspx
+ MultEQ XT - by FAAAAAAAAAAAR the best EQ, you normally have to get a $1300 receiver for this!
+ AirPlay support
- 5.1 (no biamping)
- No upscaling

Onkyo TX-NR515
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69300 ... omoid=1033
- 2EQ has much lower resolution than MultEQ XT, and doesn't EQ the sub
- No AirPlay
+ 7.1 biamp support
+ Triple darlington

Yamaha RX-V573
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... e941b5en02
- YPAO parametric EQing is not as good as Audyssey 2EQ/MultEQ
+ AirPlay support
+ 7.1 biamp support

Right now I am leaning to the Denon. Even though it's "less amp", it fits my setup perfectly. MultEQ XT is probably more valuable than the sound improvement I might eke out of biamping. The only feature it lacks is upscaling, which is not a big deal for me as I do not have any analog sources. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

Also, does anyone know a good source for FEMALE banana plug ends? I am going to run this stuff under my rug, but I already have some cut lengths of Karma cable from a previous biamping setup that I would like to use for the last half of the run along the back wall. The Kompressed stuff doesn't fit in my speaker stands anyways.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

In that price range, I would look at the Marantz NR1403 and NR1603. 5.1 vs/ 7.1 being the main difference. The 1603 also has all the network features which the 1403 does not.

The Pioneer SC models (class D) are pretty hard to beat sound wise. I would not hesitate to try one out.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

The Onkyo is the exact one my dad has. Great receiver
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Indecision was driving me nuts so I pulled the trigger on that Denon. I want my week back! So much time fretting over every tiny option. Anyways if I don't like it, I can bring it back :)

Philiac, I love the slim Marantz, but they weren't on sale here, and I couldn't snag that used one on craigslist! Totally would have gone for it otherwise.

Ultimately I was scared off of Onkyo because of their recent HDMI reliability issues. I know my parents had to return their receiver once already.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

hope you enjoy it!!!!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

stipud wrote:Ultimately I was scared off of Onkyo because of their recent HDMI reliability issues. I know my parents had to return their receiver once already.
What kind of problems were they having? I want to be able to look out for it with my dad's receiver.
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Francious70 wrote:
stipud wrote:Ultimately I was scared off of Onkyo because of their recent HDMI reliability issues. I know my parents had to return their receiver once already.
What kind of problems were they having? I want to be able to look out for it with my dad's receiver.
The HDMI switching/upscaling chips end up with intermittent solder joints. I don't think its cold solder so much as being overly hot, similar to PS3/Xbox. Some people use a small universal 12v power supply on the switched power outlet and zap strap a couple computer fans above the HDMI card (top rear). By most cases it seems to happen at 2+ years, but some fail right off the bat too. It's too bad, because otherwise Onkyos have very solid build quality. New HDMI boards are $200ish.

I just got my Denon in yesterday. It's running my setup in 2.1 right now, since I still don't have the thin wire for the rears. Haven't had a chance to EQ it yet. Build quality is so-so... the rotary dial, while detented, feels "dry" and plasticky. Flat plastic fascia, no brushed metal. Very basic. Receiver is lighter than my Audiosource Amp Seven, surprisingly. Its power doesn't disappoint though... it undoubtedly makes 80 watts, and sounds very good at above half volume. Running full digital has been the biggest improvement so far. No more hiss from my laptop (running TOSLINK output direct to receiver).
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

stipud wrote:
Francious70 wrote:
Running full digital has been the biggest improvement so far. No more hiss from my laptop (running TOSLINK output direct to receiver).
Holy crap, have you been using your headphone out till now?
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Francious70 wrote:Holy crap, have you been using your headphone out till now?
Yessir. My laptop is the main device on the TV (bluetooth keyboard and trackpad). I had an RCA running from my TV to the preamp for the other HDMI stuff. Now everything is run to the Denon, fully digital, and only one HDMI output to the TV.

I just set up Audyssey yesterday, still running 2.1. Mounted the Audyssey mic to the tripod and moved it around 8 positions in the room. It plays quick sin sweeps out of each speaker, once per position. HOLY CRAP! Big difference! The breadth and clarity in the soundstage is improved dramatically, with very little alteration in sound levels. My stereo has never imaged this well!

The Dynamic Volume setting is good for TV... keeps commercials from blowing your ears out. Was helpful for watching Batman with the baby asleep, because we didn't have to turn it way up for all the whispery parts, and waaay down during the action sequences. Dynamic EQ is similarly neat... it adds a bit of oomph and clarity when you are listening at low volume, so it sounds more pleasing to the ear. Both of these settings should be turned off at a regular volume, especially on music, but they will be very handy otherwise.

The built in Airplay support is great. I had a very buggy second gen Apple Airport Express before, also run with a mic output. It would usually crash after 15 mins of playing music, so we almost never used it. The Denon has been much more stable. In fact you can do more than just Airplay, you can use any iPhone on your network to control the AVR as well!

So far I'm very happy with my purchase! It also means I get to move my AudioSource rack into my office :D