Computer problem

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
BigDaddy

Computer problem

Post by BigDaddy »

Hey guys. I have a problem with my computer that is driving me insane. Whenever I click on a link from google I get redirected or it jumps to a different website. I figure it has to be a virus but can't get rid of it. I've tried avg, spybot, prevx1. I tried yahoo but it does it there too. Everything else works fine. Does anyone have any ideas on what will get rid of this?

Thanks,
Jason
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Browser hijack is what it sounds like. update search and destroy and run it again to see if it goes away. also try Ad-aware SE. :)
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

And hopefully you are NOT using IE. Use Firefox. I'm not the only one who swears by it. :)
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

I'm using Firefox right now for all my serious browsing, only my mail system relies on IE and outlook based crap.

Just download Mozilla Firefox and start enjoying the good life :)

Oh don't import your bookmarks and home page from you polluted IE browser or you will have the same bug again
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

I just finished updating and running ad aware and spybot and it's still the same. I am using IE. I don't know much about computers. So what do I do to run Firefox? Just download and run? Are there any other changes to be made? Do I still have to have IE? I'm going to download it now and try it out.

Thanks
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Download it, and run it. :) It will prompt you when you need to add plugins for Flash, ActiveX, etc....and you just click and let it do its thing. It also has an option to open pages in IE (I think you need an "extension"), within the Firefox window. Sometimes you will come across a site that just wont work 100% with Firefox....not often....and IE will open it.

Thats it. You can uninstall IE if you want, but I keep it around for those few times I need it. Once you use Firefox, and all the available extensions and features, you will never use IE again. Its awesome!
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Have you recently upgraded to IE 7 or whatever it is currently?

If so download Ccleaner from filehippo or Download.com

Start the program and go to the tools Icon and use the uninstall feature, unistall IE and then use the scan feature and fix all entries. Then go to M$'s site and DL the IE7 also I highly suggest installing and using Firefox, Opera, Safari, anything to get away from IE.

Uninstall Spybot while you are at it and get a fresh DL from the web, during the new installation, make certain you check the box enabling "teatimer" which will alert you to any IE browser and registry changes that happen in the background allowing you to accept or deny.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

on another note I quit using ad aware, all it does is find cookies, plus the bastards have sold out.............spybot FTW.

my favorite utilities are
Ccleaner
Spybot
Registry Mechanic
AVG free
and I think I'll be replacing AVG with Avast soon..............

and if you want to pay for anti-virus do yourself a favor and uninstall Norton and McAffe, get NOD32 instead.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

You know I have never ever used a permanent Anti Virus program on any of my PCs? (I do scans now and then). I have never had a virus either. I use a router as a hard firewall as well as a soft firewall (recently made a switch from ZoneAlarm Pro to Comodo....excellent change for the better!!). I have even quit regularly scanning for spyware, etc.....nothing ever comes up. I credit this mostly to the firewall(s) and Firefox. :)

I laugh when I use other peoples computers and they have like a billion processes open, 30 icons in the system tray, and you open IE and 200,000 popups appear.....and ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, AIM, MySpace IM, etc.....all open at once...with bots spamming you every 30 seconds.....it takes a half hour once its booted to get everything opened.....wow.....I mean wow....I dont know how people can live like this. :)
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

I typically use a program called "Hijack This" whenever I have a situation like that.. its a bit different than most anti-malware programs, and usually it actually works.
I'm afraid of widths.
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

Thanks guys for all the info. I'll have to check into those other programs. It seems that one program can't get rid of all problems. Seems they always miss something and you need another program to finish it off. I am using Firefox right now and everything is back to normal. It seems a little faster than IE but I'm not sure. I really need a faster internet connection and more ram though. I hate waiting for things to load. I guess my computer is getting out dated.

Jason