Home thearter system

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Home thearter system

Post by bdubs767 »

Any opinions on this set up for $900?

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT- ... ystems&p=i
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I haven't hear this exact system, but based on the equipment you've been using recently in your car, NO HTIB (home-theater-in-a-box) that I'm aware of is going to meet your requrements for quality equipment.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dedlyjedly wrote:I haven't hear this exact system, but based on the equipment you've been using recently in your car, NO HTIB (home-theater-in-a-box) that I'm aware of is going to meet your requrements for quality equipment.
lol what i figured
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

If someone asked me what the cheapest HT I would set them up with was, it would something like this:

Denon AVR1507 $329
Denon DVD1730 $169
Paradigm Titan $219/pr. x 3 pairs $657
Martin Logan Dynamo $599 (subwoofer)

Total MSRP: $1754, throw some package discounts in and some wires and cables and speaker stands/brackets, and you would walk out the door for under $2k.

Anything less than that isnt really worth buying IMHO. Better off saving some more, or buying it piece at a time. Good luck!
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Audiophiliac wrote:If someone asked me what the cheapest HT I would set them up with was, it would something like this:

Denon AVR1507 $329
Denon DVD1730 $169
Paradigm Titan $219/pr. x 3 pairs $657
Martin Logan Dynamo $599 (subwoofer)

Total MSRP: $1754, throw some package discounts in and some wires and cables and speaker stands/brackets, and you would walk out the door for under $2k.

Anything less than that isnt really worth buying IMHO. Better off saving some more, or buying it piece at a time. Good luck!

hmm well I have $500 for a receiver and about $250 for a DVD player anything you'd recommend. The sub woofer is taken care of and I'll build the speakers w/ dayton and peerless drivers at this point as nothing will be able to equal the quality in near that price range.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

what are you planning for a sub? what happened to the Cyclone?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dedlyjedly wrote:what are you planning for a sub? what happened to the Cyclone?
had to sell it :cry: needed money for xmas, tickets, standrized tests, and my car blowing up. Went to good hands tho PG collecter, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Im just basing the $500 and $250 off of what I was planign to spend on amps for towers. I figure since I dont listen to music all that much at home and watch a lot more tv I woudl be far better off w/ 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

I still have the bash 500 watt amp and x12d2.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

The 1930CI is a FABULOUS entry level player! I love the thing. And it looks great through its HDMI output if you can use it.

Also, the 2307CI is an awesome piece as well.

Good choices!

I miss my old Denon gear. I had an AVR-3802 and DVD-2200.....both very sweet. But I sold them to upgrade, and ended up with a VW instead. :) I am waiting to buy a house to build a nice theater room.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Audiophiliac wrote:The 1930CI is a FABULOUS entry level player! I love the thing. And it looks great through its HDMI output if you can use it.

Also, the 2307CI is an awesome piece as well.

Good choices!

I miss my old Denon gear. I had an AVR-3802 and DVD-2200.....both very sweet. But I sold them to upgrade, and ended up with a VW instead. :) I am waiting to buy a house to build a nice theater room.
the 2307ci has that 5.1 plus two independent channels mode...is the 2 channel independent a discrete channel bascially can I use my strictly midbass drivers this way?
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

No you cant. The 2 "independent" channels are assignable to either surround back channels or zone 2 channels. All the receivers above the 1507 have this feature.

Your 5.1 channels are Front left, Center, Front right, Surround left, and Surround right. The additional Rear center (or surround back) channels (you can use 1 or 2 speakers) make up the 6.1 setup.

The amp channels are strictly for those assignments. Meaning you cant apply the front channels to tweeters, the rears to midbass and rear centers to surround channel speakers.

All of your front speakers are to be driven by the front channels of the receiver. How you wire them is up to you so long as you keep a reasonable impedance load to the amp...likely 6-8 ohms.

If you move up to a 4306 or higher, (I think), you can assign those 6th and 7th channels to bi-amp the fronts, or as rear centers or as zone 2 speakers....so with that situation, you could power your midbass drivers with those channels, but you would need a passive lowpass filter......

Best bet if you are building your own speakers, is to build a custom passive crossover. Then you just have one set of wires to the amp for each speaker (not driver).
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Onkyo makes some pretty descent stuff. Definitely go to your local BB's and Circuit City's and whatnot. listen listen listen.
Boomshackalacka