Headphone Amplifier

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

that was a big trigger Whew ! pricey.. hope you happy though, we can build you something later on if you like C
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yep, I figure I will eventually need a better amp. It's cheap enough that I can afford to swap it out later. This little one will be great for now, and it will always be useful as a headphone amp/DAC for other headphones.

When you are out of the busy season (e.g. winter), we can come up with a more robust amp design for the high impedance headphones (250 ohm). :wink:

For now I am totally excited. Unfortunately I opted for the standard two week USPS shipping in order to save myself from another $50 of brokerage fees. Gah.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Tom so hwo did you liek those headphones...I am in desperate need of some high end ones.

You know yours are bad when your Car sounds better lol.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

that shows how busy Ive been...I missed a thread :shock: :shock: :shock:
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
AaronK

Post by AaronK »

stipud wrote:I ordered the BitHead amp with a set of Grado SR60's from Headroom an hour ago. I am not sure they will ship the Grados to Canada, so if they call me to say no, i'll have them cancel the order. Then I can check out that forum you posted.

I noticed a lot of those DIY Cmoy amplifiers on eBay. Much cheaper indeed, but i'm concerned about the workmanship.
I have a Cmoy tin amp I got off ebay with sennheiser hd600s and the amp is incredible. Make every pair of headphones I have sound like they are really expensive.
joyride

Post by joyride »

wow...this one is back from the dead.

Although, was it Cade that was using a modified PLD1 as an amp? I remember someone saying that it worked extremely well for fairly low cost.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

joyride wrote:Although, was it Cade that was using a modified PLD1 as an amp? I remember someone saying that it worked extremely well for fairly low cost.
^ wut...tell me more
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
joyride

Post by joyride »

I think it was back on the original soundoff (black and purple one). I think someone (I swear it was Cade Austin) modified (maybe the power supply?) the internals and was just using it as a headphone amp. Then again, maybe he just used an external psu and swapped the out RCA terminals to accept a headphone jack. I wish I would have gotten more info on it when the topic came up.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That is definitely possible. All it would take is a small 12v PSU and an RCA->mini cable. I would consider upgrading the opamp as well, since Larry Frederick mentioned they tested and found an audible improvement using better DACs in the PLD.