MY Mac

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

MY Mac

Post by bdubs767 »

I know there plenty of Computer gurus around so I have a problem w/ my Mac. Ive had it for about 3 or so years now and it's starting to slow down here and there so I figured that I might as well clean some of the old files out . Before I got around to doing this I got a waring that the start up disk was full, I figured thats because of lack of space on the Hard Drive??? I checked the hard drive and it said it only had 2.52 GB left which isn't a lot since it's a 60GB HD. So I just cleared out mass amounts of old paper work, photos, movies, and music but it still says I only have 2.52 GB of space available on the hard disk. WTF? Shouldn't the space available increase?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

What OS are you using Brand? Tiger?

IIRC Tiger is kinda like XP and takes a image of itself for backup purposes. I use Tiger myself on my radiomactive and panther on the old g4 in the bedroom but I have never had that problem.

TBH 2.57gb is more than enough space for the OS to not whine to you, I mean I have had less than 200MB on my drive before lol..

I dont want to sound like Im sayin youre dumb here, but you did empty the trash after deleting it all right? because it stays in the drive until you do..

Other than that dude it's pretty hard to help without seeing the computer.. What spec mac is it? G4? G5? imac?
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

There are two issues here:

1. The computer is slow
2. The hard disk is getting full

1. Identify the running processes with Activity Monitor. A lot of stuff will be unintelligible for the normal user. That's fine. Sort the list by CPU usage and note anything using any substantial amount of CPU. Write those app names down. Now sort by real memory and identify heavy processes. Many will be normal in their high usage. You can do the same for virtual memory if you like, depending on usage. Some apps will again by heavy users of virtual memory.

Now, just use common sense and a search engine to find out if you have useless shit running. If you do, check your startup applications and remove any. Hell, check that anyways and see if you really need all them. (System Settings->Accounts->Select Your Account->Login Items Tab)

2. As pandy said, remember to empty the trash after deleting items for the size to report a difference. Also, sometimes you need to close the property box for a little while and open it again to have the usage report refreshed.

That's the best I can do for now to help.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

I have the start up disk thing under control now....but the hard drive still istn showing any more space even though I secure emptied the trash and then restarted the computer. WTF?

its a G4 MAc, 1.07 GHz proc, 512 MB DDR memory, MAC OS 10.3.9
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

See if Ccleaner makes a version which works on Mac OS....
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Just buy a larger drive and do a drive copy using any real software that does a drive copy correctly and complete for MAC's.
I only use PC's so I a dry well on Mac complaints, but the heart of your issue seems to be a full hard drive, and they are so cheap nowadays, I exchange mine yearly and donate my old one to kids computers just so i get the reliability issue out of the way. C :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Give Cocktail a try. It can clear your cache, repair permissions, etc. It can fix a lot of weird issues like that...

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.php
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Tom thanks that did it. up to 29.8 GB of storage space and comp is running like brand new.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

stipud wrote:Give Cocktail a try. It can clear your cache, repair permissions, etc. It can fix a lot of weird issues like that...

Got something like that for a PC with XP?? I have a PC I'm about throw out the damn window. :evil:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

mr tibbs wrote:
stipud wrote:Give Cocktail a try. It can clear your cache, repair permissions, etc. It can fix a lot of weird issues like that...

Got something like that for a PC with XP?? I have a PC I'm about throw out the damn window. :evil:
I refer you to your previous post. ;)

Seriously, I just don't do PCs anymore...

Best suggestion I can give you is heavy anti-spyware/virus detox. Go through add/remove programs control panel and delete EVERYTHING you don't need.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

stipud wrote:
mr tibbs wrote:

I refer you to your previous post. ;)

Seriously, I just don't do PCs anymore...

Best suggestion I can give you is heavy anti-spyware/virus detox. Go through add/remove programs control panel and delete EVERYTHING you don't need.
Check, check, and check. :cry: It's something in IE, every time I open that up here come the pop-ups. :evil:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Well there's your problem. NEVER use Internet Explorer. Ever. That's like leaving your front door open with a big glowing sign that says "come fuck me in the arse" blinking on your roof.

http://www.getfirefox.com/
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Try turning off messenger if you not using MSN messenger It will be under services.

Go to your control panel then into administrative tools and then open services and scroll down that list till you get to Messenger, click on it and make sure its disabled and shutdown and in manual or off < no automatic>

Had the same bug up mine ass many years ago, turn that off and VIOLA no more pop-ups IE is pinging the network when you start IE and this pulls pop ups by the dozens in right from the get go.

Other than that you might still have spy bots and kids programs bugging your service.

hope this helps C :)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I already have firefox on the compy and also have got rid of the messenger. We only occasionally use the comp to do little things. Sometimes she uses it for school work, and I usually use it to burn a cd or two. She can't use firefox for her schooling because for some damn reason her shit won't open in firefox. Don't ask me, I don't get it. I use firefox for everything, I understand it's much safer. The only time it gets me is when I click on a link and for some damn reason it opens up IE and out come the popups.

O'well, I'll find something to fix this. Either that or just chuck the damn thing and use the laptops! :wink:

Thanks for the help guys!! :clap: And sorry for the hijack bdubs. :oops:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.