home theater suggestions

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
jcook

home theater suggestions

Post by jcook »

We have just sold are house and will be moving into are new one that will be finished sept.7 2550sf not the biggest but it has seperate living and family rooms, I had the family room walled off and double french doors installed, room is roughly 16x20, claiming it as my home theater room. My thoughts are at least a 50" plasma, leaning towards Samsung, they also have a 63", and a decent 5.1 or 7.1 channel system. Looking for any other ideas on size,make,model for tv and audio. I seem to be stuck on the Samsung, #of hdmi inputs and other features seem to fit my needs. also what is a good viewing distance?
Builder is giving us $5000 to use at rcwilleys,( not moving their houses because of market.) a good little promotion that i will use.
Alpine CDA 9853
PG TLD 66
Ti500.4
Ti800.1
RSD 250.2
2 Tantrum 12"
RSD 5
RSD 690
joyride

Post by joyride »

I dont know much about the TV, but I would suggest checking out Onix Rockets (http://www.av123.com) for speakers. The 760's can be purchased for 1500 a pair, but you can find the older 750 used for around $600. In fact, I just saw this post: Rosewood 750s Signatures - one has a nick at the top - $650 for the pair add $20 for risers

Best thing to do is go onto the forum (http://www.av123forum.com) they have and find someone in your area to demo them. I know that there is a listing of everyone that will demo them for you. I just cant find it right now.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I'll second the Onix speakers. They seem to be a reputiable smaller company.

As for tv's, go out to a big box store, and just watch them. Get the one that looks the best to you.
Boomshackalacka
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Samsung is good, compare it to a Hitachi for picture and features either are a great set. Mitsubishi is my first pick however but is more $$.

For a receiver I suggest Yamaha first $ for $ for performance, however if you want to spend more on features look into Denon or even the Kenwood-Sovereign line.

Speakers? are you going in wall, on wall, or free-standing? I have to put in a vote for the Audiosource/PG-IH line, great products at a great price.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

For recievers on the less expensive side check out Onkyo.
Boomshackalacka
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

receivers of my choice..... yamaha,denon
both these names produces champs all the time....
any hi-fi/HT award edition magazines will verify this.... :wink:
marantz and onkyo are quite good too.
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
jcook

Post by jcook »

Was leaning towards onkyo, will be going with free standing speakers, and adding a second powered sub. before making final decision I will look at Hitachi side by side with the Samsung
Alpine CDA 9853
PG TLD 66
Ti500.4
Ti800.1
RSD 250.2
2 Tantrum 12"
RSD 5
RSD 690
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Look at it like this, I got a used Onkyo reciever off eBay for around $150, 2 brand new Polk R50's for $200, and a brand new Sony 45" HDTV (CRT of course) for $1500.

If I wanted to add another $500 I could get matching surrounds and Center, probably a matching self powered sub too if I looked hard enough.

Just like car audio, it's all in where and how hard you look for good deals. brand name need not be to big a factor.
Boomshackalacka
thingy

Post by thingy »

don't know if it's on the us market, but systemaudio are great speakers that don't take up that much space (oh yeah - they're danish) :D