tvs

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

tvs

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

okay
i have still not decided on what tv i want ot get

i understand teh pros and cons of each version im looking at

crt still best picture all around just not big enough in screen size

plasma or lcd is what im looking at. iim not looking at rear projection
or dlp but if you have any info that would help bring it on.

i guess i wanna know what is the best brand for picture quality
problem here is we only have a sears that sells tvs and wallmart
neither one have all there tvs set up right so its really hard to tell
picture quality from one to another, but the samsung and sony have my eye,

i want the 1080p and the hdmi inputs, dont need a whole lot of frills
but picture is the most important,
any info would be good.
thanks
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

For plasma, I prefer Runco or Pioneer Elite....but they are spendy. On the lower end of things, LG, Samsung, Sony.....all have nice sets. You can calibrate most of them to give you a fabulous picture. I know that LG includes all the necessary controls to make ISF calibration easy. Not sure about others. Sony has some nice new ones out, but we dont sell them so I dont have first hand experience with them.

Plasma will give you a better overall image especially on fast motion video...and better black levels. LCD has more light output so if you have a room with lots of ambient light or watch in the daytime a lot, LCD might be better for you. but once you get over 37", LCD starts to go up in price quite a bit.

Good luck! FWIW, I just picked up a 38" widescreen Loewe CRT (see installs thread "My Room"). :) Its lovely!! Too bad they arent sold in the US anymore.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I've heard Westinghouse is putting out some great screens for a low price.
Boomshackalacka
dcavaudio

Post by dcavaudio »

Becareful on the Westinghouse. During black Friday 2006 the model they were showing under 1K did not have an HD tuner. Still a great price tho! Most people have cable, dish anyways.
dcavaudio

Re: tvs

Post by dcavaudio »

"i guess i wanna know what is the best brand for picture quality
problem here is we only have a sears that sells tvs and wallmart
neither one have all there tvs set up right so its really hard to tell
picture quality from one to another, but the samsung and sony have my eye."

Whatever brand you choose it will only perform its best when professionally calibrated by an ISF terchnician. To locate please visit www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm or 561.997.9073 Cost will range $275-$600 depending on your location and terms/conditions with the tech.

You can always purchase a tune-up DVD from Sound and Vison as for a do it yourself first level calibration. This works well for some people that are not too picky. This may suffice for you....? Let me know if you need some guidence with this Tune-up disc.

take care.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

The best deals right now are on DLP Projection screens. Some retailers now refer to these as micro screens.

The picture quality is excellent (some even get close to plasma/LCD numbers) and now you can get 60" for under $2K. Plasma and LCD are the future, so DLP technology is dissappearing. Many stores have these on the shelves in the back and will generally unload for wholesale or less, but you'll have to be quick. Samsung or LG are my personal vendors of choice for this technology.

The monitor is only there for HD (1080i) video. Signal switching, both video and audio, is accomplished through other devices. HDMI port is a must to keep you relatively current for a few years.

Just an option of course. Like all techonogies, a 60" LCD or a 100" plasma will be a fraction of their current prices in 18-36 months. Projectors are nice, but discourage casual viewing and $400-700 for a bulb.......

HoseHead
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Samsung, LG.

Sony? Image
They don't offer anything for the jump in price beside the name.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.