Computer monitor problems

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Computer monitor problems

Post by dedlyjedly »

My dell lcd monitor seems to be taking a dump on me. About a week ago it began to occassionally cut out on me. It would just flash on and off. I would push and hold the power button to shut it off and then it would come back on just fine. The problem has gotten progressively worse and now I have to not only turn it off, but also unplug the power cord at the monitor for 5-10 minutes to get it to work again. But even then, I'm only getting 5 minute bursts of it actually working before I have to go thru all that over again. Unfortnately it's not like the days of CRT where a swift blow to the side of it would straighten things out! :evil:

Any ideas? Other than "don't get a dell, dude!" of course!
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Laptop or desktop?

My desktop LCD does this every now and again, it's not a dell but an older samsung, it doesn't do it as often as it did now that I updated the video card. The monitor may be going into a power save loop with low signal......
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

desktop...your description sounds like it could be right. what would you recommend i do to prevent it from going into power save mode? update the video card?
soth

Post by soth »

Update the video card drivers for whatever video card you have to start. How old is the LCD? Do you have the refresh rate set properly? As for Dell, they are ok I guess, but I'd rather build my own for personal use.

settings/display/screen saver/power(set settings there)/hibernate tab(disable hibernate).

Other than video driver issues if the monitor is old it could be on it's last legs.

Kevin
Head Unit: Eclipse CD5000
Amp1: Ti 500.4
Amp2: MPS2500
Crossover: Audiocontrol 6xs
High/Mids: ID CD1-E v1 Horns
Midbass: IDQ 6.5 v2
Subs: IDQ 12 v1
EQ: PG EQ215-X
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

CALL DELL and ask for warranty support to see if its cover for free. They usually have 3 to 5 year warranties C :wink: :)
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Most Manufacturers of LCD's support a 3 year warranty. I believe dell branded or Computer manufacturer branded ones IE: HP, DELL, GATEWAY, Emachines etc only support 1 year. I could be wrong. Check soon. Could be a back light failing.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

1moreamp wrote:CALL DELL and ask for warranty support to see if its cover for free. They usually have 3 to 5 year warranties C :wink: :)
Good call Cecil. It had a 4 year warranty and Dell sent a new one out for me today! :D I just assumed it had a 1 or 2 year warranty max.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

dedlyjedly wrote:
1moreamp wrote:CALL DELL and ask for warranty support to see if its cover for free. They usually have 3 to 5 year warranties C :wink: :)
Good call Cecil. It had a 4 year warranty and Dell sent a new one out for me today! :D I just assumed it had a 1 or 2 year warranty max.

COOL ! glad to have been helpful Dell can be Ok sometimes, they make enough money to actually be nice most of the time....C