headphones NEEDED

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

headphones NEEDED

Post by bdubs767 »

I need new headphones NOW. I can't take these POS any more.

I dont feel like researching for hrs like I do with car audio so can you guys just post what you guys use or something you know is a great sounding unit.

I have a M-audip pre amp so Im asuming it has some but of amplification in it for the headphones but not sure.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I take it they are for stationary listening? Or do you want something for exercising? What are your headphone uses?

I use Beyerdynamic DT-770's. You've read the review. Since I've purchased them, I haven't been able to wear any other headphones. These things are just WAY too comfortable, and sound WAY too good. I wear these things at least 8 hours a day at work, with glasses on, and have never found them annoying. The sound quality is about the best I have heard to date. Contrary to the reviews which call them very bassy, I find my set (the new models) to play extremely evenly, especially after breaking them in.

You would look dorky wearing these out of the house/office though, because they are pretty big. In that case, I normally use my Etymotic ER-6i's, which are very good, but can chafe inside your ears if you use them too much, though I haven't tried to see if the foam pads are less annoying. The big upside and downside to these headphones is how much they isolate outside noise. If you're on the bus, they are awesome, but don't wear them somewhere you need to hear what's going on around you.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I have the PX100 from Sennheiser but I seriously doubt they would fall into your definition of high quality considering your vehicle installation(s).

I really like them and for $50 they are freakin' hard to beat but there's certainly a lot of room for improvement over these if you're willing to pay for it.

The Grado SR-60s are also supposed to be one of the best headphones for the price and they aren't "expensive".
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Both of the above are awesome as hell, but the open ear design makes your headphones just as loud to everyone else as they are to you. It's basically like an infinite baffle setup placed over your ears. Don't wear them to church :lol:
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=7506

someone on diyma recommend these saying you'll find them in most studio worldwide....I dont have a clue tho
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I haven't liked any Sony's that i've tried.

In that price range I would recommend these:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headp ... 80-pro.php

Or for a midpoint between there and the DT770's:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headp ... 250-80.php

If you just want to read reviews and see for yourself, I trust these guys:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Im willing to pay more the price isnt my problem lol. I just wan to buy one thing once...well knowing me something for at least 6 months lol.

Maybe the DT880s with an amp hmm

What do yours remind you of Tom? Like a "morel" sound or more a a natural sound like the like of Seas? Why didnt you like the Sony, to bland?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Im thinking this

http://www.headphone.com/products/packa ... -dt880.php

OR

The sonys and w/ an amp

For some reason if most studios are using those sony headphones has to be a reason to it.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I picked up a pair of senheiser noise isolating plugs, not certain of the model but MSRP in the range of $80-90

I love them, they actually have a very powerful low end response and with a ~20db cut putting them in your ear you don't need a ton of volume to get by. They are very musical and I don't get tired of them in my ear.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I've personally seen the Beyerdynamic DT-250's in a few studios and other professional places. The movie "Blades of Glory" is the last time I saw them.. the announcers are wearing them. VERY popular monitor headphone. The Sony's are pretty cheap for a "studio monitor", so that may explain their popularity. I haven't heard them, so I can't comment, but typically Sony's have been the EPITOME of uncomfortable, with insanely bloaty sound.

That DT-880 and amp package seems like a pretty smoking deal! I would personally prefer the DT-770's due to the sealed design (no outside noise), but if you are listening in privacy then the 880's will be fine. They are semi-sealed, so better than the 990's. I can still get the 770's pretty loud outside though...

It's hard to describe how these headphones sound... because they sound like headphones. The characteristics aren't quite as obvious as they are in car audio. You don't feel the music the same way. These headphones just sound... perfect? There's no obvious bloating anywhere... it's not like a car where you have the subs, mids and tweets, and they all have different characteristics... you just have two point-sources.

Personally I like to bump the bass by about 3dB on the 770's, just because I'm used to car audio pummeling my face. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything about them!
Last edited by stipud on Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... PIC&ih=020

lol maybe I can be a tube amp freak lol. Would be kind of fun.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Done deal...

Ordered the beyerdynamic DT 880

Going with the Dared mp5 tube amper

And going to make a one of those cmoy amps for on the go...

Now I just need to break down and finally get a damn IPOD :evil:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That tube amp looks like a speaker amp, not a headphone amp.

I wonder if it drives the headphone output off of the tubes as well...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Talked to a guy that owns one tonight. He said the tubes do drive it.

As for it being an amp too, I may have to use this to run my Scan Speak 6600 tweets active instead of the audiosource amp two :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Damn man, I am listening to my headphones right now...

You will not be disappointed.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

I cant wait... :D

thanks for the help
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

looking ant the tube thingy...

It appears to use USB as a DAC from a compy, plus RCA input, and provides 13W stereo out for speakers or will run Headphones............

All around audio snob solution...........yeah, now if I could muster up the need for one bad enough to pay that kind of money....
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Agreed, I am very interested in it as well. That would do a hell of a job of running a computer setup. I wonder if their DAC has MacOS X drivers.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:Agreed, I am very interested in it as well. That would do a hell of a job of running a computer setup. I wonder if their DAC has MacOS X drivers.
I was wondering the same thing will this think run off my Mac??
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

I am actually getting this unit from a guy on DIYMA...he said he can get them from this guy for $290 so if anyone else is interested LMK.

I was thinking that too tom...could run either my tweets or a computer monitor system off of it. Use one of Zaph's simple designs.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Let me know how it works on your headphones. If it works well, and does indeed use the tubes to amplify the headphone output, I'll very likely pick one up.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

The Dared has peaked my interest as well. That setup with the DT880's will surely be amazing. I just can't imagine a practical use for open headphones like that. I know that's what it takes to get the best sounding headphones, but at that point I'd likely prefer a stereo speaker set if everyone else has to hear it anyways. Am I missing something here?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

The headphone was drive by another drive, not directly from power output to speaker.
Sincerely, Kevin

Not sure WTF that means...but thats his reponse when i asked him if the tube drives the headphones
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:The headphone was drive by another drive, not directly from power output to speaker.
Sincerely, Kevin

Not sure WTF that means...but thats his reponse when i asked him if the tube drives the headphones
It could just be a typical headphone opamp then...
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

stipud wrote:I haven't liked any Sony's that i've tried.

In that price range I would recommend these:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headp ... 80-pro.php

Or for a midpoint between there and the DT770's:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headp ... 250-80.php

If you just want to read reviews and see for yourself, I trust these guys:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/
I jsut purchased the sony mdrv600s from work today, and i must say they are easily the best headphones ive owned to date, and I have owned many sets.. You will not be dissapointed with this set. They sound amazing..