Wierd sub cable problems

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
joyride

Wierd sub cable problems

Post by joyride »

For my home sub (x 12d2 with bash 500 amp) I had to ghetto rig a cable a long time ago. Someone fell into the cable and ripped the cable out of the RCA end. I soldered it all on again, but it wasnt the greatest job.

I went to plug in a good RCA, just replacing the the cables. I cannot get any good cable to work! Any reason why a POS cable that was basically spliced will run but not a PG reference?
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Maybe the spliced cable is not CLEAN....in a sense of....some the negative or positive is touching somewhere?

or when the guy fell onto the cable and ripped the RCA end off, it may have done damage to the jack itself?

TBO, your question is a little confusing...hehe...I am Guessing you are saying that you've tried new RCA cables (good ones) and it still doesnt work?
joyride

Post by joyride »

long story short...
shit cable that was spliced works fine, but good cable doesnt. I just cant conceive why a better, less restrictive connection does not work at all.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Does it just sound shitty, with lots of background noise, but you can still hear the music? If so there's a broken ground in the good cable somewhere. If you can't hear anything, it's the center RCA pole which is disconnected.

Try using a multimeter to read the resistance between ground-ground and pole-pole.
joyride

Post by joyride »

tried the multimeter first, everything turned out fine. I got a voltage on the shitty cable, switched cables on the receiver, then nothing out of the PG cable. I feel like something is going on strange with the amp, but I cant understand why that would happen.

I also tried another cable, to the same result. Guess I will unplug some other RCA's and try those too