Blu-ray Rules!

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Blu-ray Rules!

Post by Eric D »

I finally broke down and bought a TV (I have been without one for over a year now). While I was at it, I picked up a Blu-ray player.

For any of you thinking about, I would highly suggest you go for it. The improvement from DVD to Blu-ray is better than the improvement from VHS to DVD several years ago. And in my case, my TV is only 720p, so I should gain even more when I finish my 1080p projector setup in the future.

Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I can't wait till I can actually afford a PS3 so I can watch movies in High Def other than from Comcast.
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

sexy....
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
joyride

Post by joyride »

Now if only Charter (equivelent to comcast) didnt present HD with all those scan lines. Eric, Im gonna have to come check out that stuff sometime (and get some good EQ advice!). I am still really skeptical about the video quality gained when going to BR. I would really like to test BR vs HD, but I dont have the capabilities obviously.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Thats a cute setup you have there. :P

Kidding aside, BluRay and HDDVD are amazing...depending on the transfer of course. But yes....once you go HD with TV, movies, music, anything.....you wont go back. I can hardly watch standard def. TV anymore....its horrible....luckily video processing can still make standard 480 DVD look stunning....good video processing that is.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

480p still looks good, but I don’t see it ever looking THAT good, compared to HD of any sort, no matter what the processing is.

There simply is not enough data with 480p to get the picture quality. “Upscaling” is more snake oil than anything else.

Its only saving grace is the smoothing of the picture, such that the TV does not have to draw every other line or something to that affect. For all I know, if upscaling just drew each line twice, it could accomplish the same thing.