Ultra-mobile pc...experience anyone?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Ultra-mobile pc...experience anyone?

Post by Ahsmo »

This is what I am looking at:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/type ... ramobilepc

Does anyone have any experience with these devices?

For those who are not familiar: Ultra mobile PCs are small hand held fully functional computers unlike PDAs which run on an inferior operating system. Ultra mobile pc runs on the full version.

What I would use it for: Basically, I would create a fiberglass holder for my car so this thing could control everything. I would not have to worry about format (mp3, ogg, acc, flac, etc). I could also possibly have a an external sound card which could control more and sound better than most decks. I would also have navigation.....the advantages of having a fully functional computer in my car are pretty self evident.

Especially important to me is the ability to display relevant information related to my Forced Injection setup: air to fuel ratio(wideband), knock, and whatever else I feel like.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Why not just a standard carpc setup then? The ultra mobile would be a huge bump in price with a decrease in performance.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

stipud wrote:Why not just a standard carpc setup then? The ultra mobile would be a huge bump in price with a decrease in performance.
I've built my share of computers but after having a laptop where everything was designed to work together, life is good.

I can also pick this up and go. Its use would not be limited to just my car.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I agree with Tom. Go for a mini-ITX system for cheap and then spend good money on the display and sound hardware. Integration also then has the possibility of being better because it's not a single device you have to drop in somewhere. You could place the system somewhere nice and protected and then just put the display in the best possible location.

Edit: Ah, I see it's not for integration, just in car use. I suppose my points are invalid then.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I would scratch the mini ITX option and go for the VIA nano ITX, it is far smaller and is free of moving parts by design, add to that a solid state drive and a Liliput monitor.....

If you want an all in one I would suggest a OQO as they have been making that little bastard for several years now and have it down to a science. Plus the option of a real docking station allows for setup at home or office.

http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

VW337 wrote:I would scratch the mini ITX option and go for the VIA nano ITX, it is far smaller and is free of moving parts by design, add to that a solid state drive and a Liliput monitor.....

If you want an all in one I would suggest a OQO as they have been making that little bastard for several years now and have it down to a science. Plus the option of a real docking station allows for setup at home or office.

http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html
There are a ton of fanless mini-ITX systems out there but if size is the issue, nano-ITX all the way.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

I went to Fry's this weekend and played around with one of the Samsung ultra mobile things. It was sorta slow but not terrible. I think the idea is wonderful and the technology is coming along for a PC to be that small and fast(fast enough for those of us who count speed on how fast windows boots up and winamp loads)

I can build a system for hardly anything these days. The big problem is the size and power supplies but mp3 car has some nice solutions.

I know I have toyed with the car PC idea in the past and never gone anywhere with it, but the ultra mobile pc peaked my interest again because I could take the computer out the car for trips and things which I happen to go on pretty often. (6+ months at sea) The install of a PC in my Z would be easy but damn it I am tired of ripping the interior appart. I am ready to just be happy with what I have. I am right now but the itch to upgrade never goes away.

The 350 is starting to show its age and I think it may become a track car very soon.

So the car pc will probably go in my next car which will be a BMW 135i, a Pontiac G8, or whatever looks good in a year or 2.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

How about a Tablet PC, I think that may be a good idea for what you're needing.
Boomshackalacka