pre made, center, rear, and surronds

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

pre made, center, rear, and surronds

Post by bdubs767 »

Okay well now that the Denons on it's way....recommend me some pre made center, rears, and surrond speakers :twisted: .

For the fronts I'm having a MTM w/ Scans Speaker drivers designed.

I dont need them to be killer high quality as any listening to music will be done w/ The Fronts and sub only.

O yea the sub Ill be using in an Aura NS 15 w/ a 500 bash plate amp.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

You should build a center channel to match your front left and right speakers. This center speaker is going to reproduce the lion's share of the content on any digital surround formats your playing through the receiver so you don't want to skimp there. I know you have the mindset that you'll only be listening critically in stereo, but obviously you care enough about digital surround to implement a 7 channel system so you may as well do it right.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dedlyjedly wrote:You should build a center channel to match your front left and right speakers. This center speaker is going to reproduce the lion's share of the content on any digital surround formats your playing through the receiver so you don't want to skimp there. I know you have the mindset that you'll only be listening critically in stereo, but obviously you care enough about digital surround to implement a 7 channel system so you may as well do it right.
hmmm...

I guess I could man up and build an entire matching peerless Exclusive and HDS set up. The exclusive have nearly as good as performance and cost 1/4 of the scans.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

look into some KEF's
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

bdubs, who designed and made your xovers? That is the single most frightening thing to me about building my own HT speakers. :(
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Fronts need to be as close to identical as possible....and rears really should be a match too IMHO. So if you are building speakers, why stop at just 2? :)
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

mr tibbs wrote:bdubs, who designed and made your xovers? That is the single most frightening thing to me about building my own HT speakers. :(
madi does a shitty job using leap

meniscus does a great job using leap.

Ill be using meniscus...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Audiophiliac wrote:Fronts need to be as close to identical as possible....and rears really should be a match too IMHO. So if you are building speakers, why stop at just 2? :)
Because scan speak drivers cost a mega load lol.

I could sell my SS drivers and do all Peerless Exclusive though, which practically measure the same.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Okay I feel like being lazy, as Id rather spend my time doing other thigns then building speakers...Im just going to order fronts, centers, and rears from here, unless anyone the forum can give me the hook up :D
http://www.onecall.com/ProductSearch.as ... tPrice%7c1
looking to spend about $2000-$2500

What would you guys shoot for?
joyride

Post by joyride »

you should also check out Sulk sounds. They offer some really nice options. Some may be a little out of your price range, but they make a lot of models that would work for you. http://salksound.com

They are really good people, so you shold give them a call and see what they can do for you.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Audiophiliac wrote:Fronts need to be as close to identical as possible....
hmm

Do you think it would be okay doing MTM for the fronts but using 6.5" for the L/R and using 5.5" drivers for the centers?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Going with these....not to pricey and will be a fun build

Im going to go with these for my HT now already pre designed, just easy...
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=15323
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

errin have you actually heard these? I can actually get them for $430 ea...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Reviews of the KEFs seem to be a mixed bag:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/206kef/
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers ... 94crx.aspx

If you're looking in that price range, check out Paradigm speakers as well. The Monitor series fits in the exact same budget as those KEFs. You could get a really nice sounding surround setup for not too much money.

Monitor 9's Front L/R
Monitor Atom Rear L/R
CC-290 or CC-390 for center
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:Reviews of the KEFs seem to be a mixed bag:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/206kef/
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers ... 94crx.aspx

If you're looking in that price range, check out Paradigm speakers as well. The Monitor series fits in the exact same budget as those KEFs. You could get a really nice sounding surround setup for not too much money.

Monitor 9's Front L/R
Monitor Atom Rear L/R
CC-290 or CC-390 for center
Thanks tom, Ill take a look @ the monitors, I'd love to build those daytons but I dont think I'll have the freakign time...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Sounds like you're going down the exact path I did.

I am very happy with my end result... the Paradigm Monitors aren't the worlds best speakers, but they are damn good. For the amount of money I paid, I am extremely happy, and I know I could easily afford a surround system if that day ever comes. Bass performance from my little 5" drivers is average, but they blend very well with the Peerless subwoofer, and the imaging is astounding.

Audio is fun to fantasize about, but when it comes down to it you will end up chasing your dream forever, never being fully satisfied. If I had the necessary wood tools, I would definitely go the DIY route, but building an attractive cabinet is HARD WORK. I have had to choose feasibility over my dreams many times... even with my car... I started off with Elite 9-5-1's for the front, 6 for the rear, a 12D, 900.7 and 1200.1 in my Corolla. That later turned into 5-1, Xenon 12 and 900.7. Same thing for the Saab... you can go overboard, but your work will never be done.

Sometimes you just gotta know when to stop, so that you can spend some time sitting back and enjoying as well.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote: Sometimes you just gotta know when to stop, so that you can spend some time sitting back and enjoying as well.
aint that the truth...those daytons dont look hard to build though. On eof my neighbors owns a wood workign shop, so when i go back home Ill aks em how much itd cost to build em....might as well cant hurt. I also asked marv how much itd be...

well see Im looking to spend about $1500 total for fronts, center, and rears.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

bdubs767 wrote:
errin have you actually heard these? I can actually get them for $430 ea...
I have heard all of the drivers independently, but not certain about their XO network in this application.

I have to say I tend to dislike metal tweeters but the KEF's are more laid back than many silk tweeters I have heard.

In answer I have not heard these towers but the drivers that make it up are quit nice.