Viper Alarm Help

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Viper Alarm Help

Post by AVICJR »

Anyone here have Viper Alarm (850XV) knowledge or installation experience? I have the owner's manual but it has nothing on troubleshooting and there is no support whatsoever from the manufacturers.

I've had the alarm for about 5 years or so and from time to time I have trouble with the transmitter not working. I just changed the battery but I'm wondering if my transmitter is going bad. I also can't get the Valet switch to disarm the car.

It sucks being stuck outside in the cold because your stupid remote won't disarm the car.

THANKS in advance.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

The Valet switch is coded, check the manual.

Your remote may need to be replaced if you replaced the battery and it still doesn't work, try your spare remote. Go to a local shop see if they have a "Bitwriter" if so they should be able to test the alarm or reset the valet code if it has been coded and you don't know what it is.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I've misplaced my spare somewhere here in the house. Will best buy have a "Bitwriter"? Is it likely that the remote is going bad?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

does BB carry Viper? I would honestly suggest calling any shop local to you that has DEI product until you find one with a bitwriter. They are far and few between
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Thanks for the help! BB is the only dealer local to me w/o having to go into Houston, that's why I asked.

I found a dealer that will sell me a new remote and program it for $60. If he can program another remote does that mean he has the Bitwriter to test the "faulty" remote?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

the bitwriter tests the alarm itself.

If he can program another remote and all works normal the remote was the problem, however if the new remote won't program a bitwriter will be required in order to test your alarm.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

THANKS A MILLION!! Crosses fingers-- I hope it's just the remote.
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

Uhhh, how do you test an alarm with the Bitwriter?

I own one and have for a few years, and have never seen a "test" function in the BitWriter programming.

The Bitwriter is used to program the DEI Security and convienece systems, instead of counting siren chirps and using the valet switch.

As mentioned the valet switch is coded. Default code is "2", meaning you press and release the valet switch twice and then press and hold it a third time to disarm. Very few installers (that I know) change the disarm code from factory default, unless it is requested.

An old remote has a higher chance of being the problem. The antenna itself can also develope problems in older product as well, though that has been a rare occurance in my experiance.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

444 FED wrote:Uhhh, how do you test an alarm with the Bitwriter?
if the remote is not arming/disarming the alarm it is either the remote or the alarm, if the valet switch is not doing a thing, then plugging in a bitwriter and getting a repsonse tests that the alarm itself should be fucntioning. That is the root of the test as you point there is in fact no test routine per-say.
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

The way I read this thread is that the alarm is indeed functioning, just at times doesn't respond to the remote, and without further info, may not respond to the valet switch, though until it's verified I would say that he just hasn't put in the proper code for the valet/disarm.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Again thanks to both of you for your help!!

UPDATE: I bought a new remote and the installer couldn't get the valet in program mode so he asked me to come back on Monday to finish the job. I got home and read the manuals and set the remote myself. Turns out the the pad on the remote was wearing out and that's what caused the problems. I replaced the pad and now I have 2 functioning remotes again, and probably 3 when the other I misplaced pops up in a year or two.

Makes me think now that I could have saved about $30 and bought one on ebay to program myself.