AMD phenom vs Intel Quad Core

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
eyesofra

AMD phenom vs Intel Quad Core

Post by eyesofra »

being the underdog lover , i hoped they would whack Intel with their new phenom true-quad core proc..... but, again the whacking was the other way aroud .... :evil:

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=570
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That 80% difference on Photoshop was amazing!

Pity, I loved my Athlon 64...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I just like to see competition because it fosters innovation.

I was rooting for AMD for a long time around the 64 era but then I was invited to an Intel Non-disclosure meeting sometime before the Core series were released and I was really impressed with Intel that time around, I came out of the meeting thinking "Intel finally GETS IT!".

Previous to that meeting I saw Intel's method of competition simply as ramping up clock speeds but after the meeting I knew they had long ago realized that wouldn't keep working and had product lines coming out that would put that realization into real, kick ass multi-core products.

I was also against Apple going Intel at first (I wished they chose AMD or even didn't go x86) but I also later realized that Intel was the best route for Apple to have the success they wanted and needed.

Either way, gooooooooooooo competition!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:I just like to see competition because it fosters innovation.

I was rooting for AMD for a long time around the 64 era but then I was invited to an Intel Non-disclosure meeting sometime before the Core series were released and I was really impressed with Intel that time around, I came out of the meeting thinking "Intel finally GETS IT!".

Previous to that meeting I saw Intel's method of competition simply as ramping up clock speeds but after the meeting I knew they had long ago realized that wouldn't keep working and had product lines coming out that would put that realization into real, kick ass multi-core products.

I was also against Apple going Intel at first (I wished they chose AMD or even didn't go x86) but I also later realized that Intel was the best route for Apple to have the success they wanted and needed.

Either way, gooooooooooooo competition!
Ya me too on the AMD, Intel thing. I went to an intel training meeting and agree they had it right finally.

And same as Stipud, I liked the AMD 64 bit processors at first. Especially before the core 2 duo cpu's. And so far AMD has not really been able to get back in the nitch. But time will only tell when they get back into things and such. May be a few years. Seems like the cpu's flip flop back and forth like that.
joyride

Post by joyride »

good lord, i cant believe the difference in photioshop. i have been looking at the 6600 for a while now, and this just sealed the deal. Seeing as how photoshop is the most used program on my computer, it will apprently work out nicely. You guys know if XP will support quad core?
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

XP Home will support only one processor but the processor can have multiple cores....

XP Pro will handle two processors with multiple cores....

So yes xp will support a quad core cuz it is one cpu.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

um AMD fanboy here, was I the only one who noticed a lack of info in that read?

Such as:

Drive types
Mobo
Fixed memory size and clock speeds

The test is kinda like saying chevron gas is better than texaco gas, and not saying that one station filled a pinto and the other a moped, but damn that gas performs so well in that vehicle.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

yeah they should have stated those things too, but i just assumed they're using the same memory size/speed and drive type.
lets wait fer more reviews form tomshardware or anandtech, the guys there are more elaborate on their writeup.

check out the tech comparison guys.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Pro ... 46,00.html

AMD looks really good there , on paper.
Intel haven't stepped into native and and on-die yet, its going to be really interesting when they do that, and they're already reigning without those stuffs in...
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
joyride

Post by joyride »

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 939,00.asp

They try to compare them using similar setups...and AMD is the loser again (although it didnt seem as bad)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

joyride wrote:http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 939,00.asp

They try to compare them using similar setups...and AMD is the loser again (although it didnt seem as bad)
System specs are at least given in this review and well matched with the exception of the DDR2 on the AMD and clocked down DDR3 on the Intel.....
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

VW337 wrote:System specs are at least given in this review and well matched with the exception of the DDR2 on the AMD and clocked down DDR3 on the Intel.....
Or that the AMD processor is a clocked down engineering sample, which may have other optimizations that the consumer chip doesn't have.
Fatii

Post by Fatii »

C2D ftw*!!!!! amd sux ;)... have u checkt the temp on a amd phenom?
and u can´t clock a amd... ! a c2d u can clock aleast the double with air cooling!

*for the win!