Airduster.... ;) *Is this doable!*

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
phoenix_rising

Airduster.... ;) *Is this doable!*

Post by phoenix_rising »

Hi guys, now this a little bit off topic in some respects but kinda still keeps with the theme...

Just picked up a Mini Air-Compressor built for spray painting and was wondering whether it was possible to use one of the airduster attachments to blast my computers and electrical equipment to clean them or whether i'd need to do anything like add a moisture trap or some sort of filter before the air-duster.... Can anyone shed any light? Possibly anyone that does any sort of air spraying or painting? ... Cheers.

Post by stipud »

You need to watch out for static charge and moisture. Some vacuums can blow air, but they usually statically charge the air quite a bit, and could zap your ICs. Also, canned air also uses a propellant that can also spray out onto your circuit boards. You also gotta be sure that it doesn't blow too hard either, otherwise that could cause some damage.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Cheers for the reply Stipud,

So is there anything i can do to prevent the static and the moisture? When you mention "Vacuums" are you referring to household hoover\vacuum cleaners which have the suck\blow function? Do you think there are any attachments i can use to minimize the moisture or the static? Is the static that you talk about transmitted in the compressed air transmitted to the metal air duster attachment? Any info would really help. Cheers.

Heres a link to the unit im planning on using if it helps..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=004

Oh, and planning on sticking one of these on it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-BLOWER-GUN-AI ... dZViewItem

thinks its doable?
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I have been using my air compressor to blow dust out of my computers for the last 10 years. Just don't get to close with the airgun and hold it in one spot for the moisture to build up and keep the pressure fairly low.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Cheers gridracer!

What do you mean exactly by hold it in one spot? Do you think its suitable to give me amps a blast on the boards? Would it be worth using a moisture trap?
KHPower
Location: In the Phoenix Phorum's boiler room , east of the janitors closet

Post by KHPower »

It would be wise to get a moisture trap at your local hardware store. I have also blew out my electronics for years. Just be smart about it and keep a little distance away from your amps board
[color=#8040BF]Kenwood 993
Team Sundown:4500D
(2) Digital Designs 9500's
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Team Kinetik: HC3800 ,(2),1200s (2) 600's
Factory Authorized Kinetik ,Sundown,MB Quart Dealer[/color]