and little more help...

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

and little more help...

Post by bdubs767 »

Okay well now I just realized I need a master volume control of the system...

Heres the lay out now...
cd player
EQ and Xover
Amp
then to towers

Basically I need a dvd player or cd player with volume knob. I cant find one DVD with a master volume control, is there any out there?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Always turn the volume down at the source, or the pre-amp. Do you not have a receiver??
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:Always turn the volume down at the source, or the pre-amp. Do you not have a receiver??

no....

its basically car set-up if you think about it..

cd player (yet to decide on) to eq/xover then to the amp then the the passive then to speakers.

I just need a master volume at some point.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I would think the amp or the EQ would have a volume of some sort, no?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

mr tibbs wrote:I would think the amp or the EQ would have a volume of some sort, no?
nope :cry:
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Buy a pre-amp to stick before the power amp. Always a good investment for lowering the noise floor. And a volume knob.
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:Buy a pre-amp to stick before the power amp. Always a good investment for lowering the noise floor. And a volume knob.

WICKED GAY....another unexpected $100 :evil:

I think that marnatz dvd player had one 8) plus optical out :D may just work.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Umm... how about you DON'T buy a DVD player or CD player, buy a good pre-amp instead, thank me later. Trust me, it's what you want to do. Hell, you'll do it eventually even if I didn't tell you to, so just do it now. :twisted:
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:Umm... how about you DON'T buy a DVD player or CD player, buy a good pre-amp instead, thank me later. Trust me, it's what you want to do. Hell, you'll do it eventually even if I didn't tell you to, so just do it now. :twisted:

bastard :evil: well want to suggest one then for me... :D :D :D :D
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's true... I haven't needed a CD player in my stereo yet. Actually, I use the tuner to switch between AirTunes (wirelessly play music off of my laptop), or using my Playstation. Skip the fancy pants CD player for now... having a preamp makes you a lot more versatile.

I've got an audiocontrol preaamp/tuner two. Cheap and works fine.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

x3 on the receiver.

you can always hook up your PC/ipod to your receiver.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

how the hell does that go to my amp? Does it have aux out?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The preamp A linked form parts express would be just fine for what you need to do... since you have an external amp there is no need for a receiver. If you want a tuner, you can get the preamp two as well, which includes one. I got mine for about $100 on eBay a few years ago.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

god damn home audio :roll: :roll:

car audio is o so much easier

Is there anything like a preamp that will allow for a 5.1 w/ external amps? I remember BH talking about that....be nice to find on of those and slowly build up a nice optional 5.1 that I could turn off all the rear and center when listening to music.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Yea, they're called receivers. :lol:

But seriously, check this out

http://www.emotiva.com/preamps.html

And then he'll end up buying the matching amp

http://emotiva.com/amplifiers.html

Oh noes, I think I just might have started brandon down the wrong path. :lol:
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Where is the input on that thing?
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

If you want 5.1, get a normal receiver (Denon, etc). There will be some pre-outs you can use to connect to the amplifier to run your L/R speakers. The rest can be run off of the receiver. This way if you're listening to stereo media it is all amplified off of the nice amp, but you can still pull off decent sounding 5.1 without needing extra amps.

Other option is you add a pair of Audiosource AmpOnes to go with that AmpSeven. Use one for the rear, and the second for the center channels. Now the only trick is finding a preamp with a Dolby/DTS decoder and fiber inputs.

In all honesty though, a properly set up 2.1 system will not have you wanting 5.1 anymore. In 90% of cases, 5.1 is just a mask for terrible imaging, and just makes stuff sound worse in the end. Not to mention it is a bitch to run speaker wires everywhere.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Truth. I've got my 5.1 set up, but still listen in stereo most the time.
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:If you want 5.1, get a normal receiver (Denon, etc). There will be some pre-outs you can use to connect to the amplifier to run your L/R speakers. The rest can be run off of the receiver. This way if you're listening to stereo media it is all amplified off of the nice amp, but you can still pull off decent sounding 5.1 without needing extra amps.
Now thats what I want.... :D

THen from the preouts of the receiver go to my EQ and Xover then to the AMp Seven T

THen Ill make a decent rear and center with some dayton driver and vifta xt25 tweets :D :D
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

This is all it takes to get awesome sound. If I sit in front of the TV, the imaging is so good that a 5.1 system would flat out destroy the sound. It's unreal... the imaging "gets in your head", and sounds like a good pair of headphones. I suppose a 5.1 system would maybe help if you were sitting off center, but then you wouldn't be listening to the 5.1 as much as just being surrounded by sound.

I finally got my Behringer ECM8000 last week, and RTAed my system. With a bit of adjustment I got it playing flat to 40Hz, so I've even scrapped the subwoofer and I am happier than ever with the sound.

My favorite DVD for A/V tests is Fuzzy's Samurai Champloo (anime) box set. The audio is absolutely exceptionally recorded, and images extremely well. They have a Japanese 2.0 encoded soundtrack on every disc. Not to mention the show is completely vivid, artistic and entertaining as well, so it looks
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

nice flag!

did you ever watch that BT dvd i posted? try evaporating some green and watching that, the 5.1 is remarkable on that also
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:THen from the preouts of the receiver go to my EQ and Xover then to the AMp Seven T
The EQ should be run on the tape loop instead. They are designed to work this way, rather than being daisy chained like you are used to. A tape in a receiver is set up so that you have an input and an output. When you select your source, and then press tape monitor, the receiver puts the source output through the tape player, and then takes the "loop" tape out and plays that instead. This allows you to hear "what you are recording" on the tape player.

You can hook the EQ up through the same tape loop. This allows you to turn the EQ on and off by selecting tape monitor. If you want to hook up a tape player, there are inputs on the back of the EQ for it. Now when you do this, you will be EQing the whole system instead of just the amplified channels. You will have to decide if this is how you want it to be done or not... the other option is as you put it, just daisy chain the EQ and run those outputs to the amp the way you would in a car.