Anyone use PG or other Car amps for home stereo?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
AaronK

Anyone use PG or other Car amps for home stereo?

Post by AaronK »

Was thinking about getting a massive DC clean power supply and using my preouts from my signal processor to PG amps to run my home speakers. I think the sound quality of these amps would be nice. Any thought?>
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i tried once, but i need a WAY better power supply

nico on the other hand:

http://phoenixphorum.com/ms1000-display-vt4984.html
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I almost want to make my M25/M50 setup run my home stereo... but the PSU is the issue.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
AaronK

Post by AaronK »

Bfowler wrote:i tried once, but i need a WAY better power supply

nico on the other hand:

http://phoenixphorum.com/ms1000-display-vt4984.html

Yeah I imagine the power supply would be massive.

nico's looks great! I looked through it and don't see exactly what he used to power it up?
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

He's got 13 Biggest Loser cast offs running on a tread mill out back........ :shock:

Very nice. I daily scourie EBay, CL and other sites for a cuppla big ol' Hewlett-Packard 80A DC bench power supplies. We used to have one on every bench in the shop in the early 80's. Rarely used. They have to be somewhere. Friggin' brutes.....

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
phoenixcat

Post by phoenixcat »

i use my zpa @ home with a 115ah battery and a 25A power supply and works great! but the zpa wants more power for high volume listening. . .
mazda mx-5
hertz space 1 + re 8" , zpa 0.5 and alpine dva-9861
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

At the one shop I worked at had 2 150 amp psu that weren't that big the problem is they cost like $1400 each.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Check german Ebay for a switched power supply; 100 amps costs about $600. [and they don't weigh a ton either].
Add a one farad cap, and you're set for a reasonable volume...unless you're planning to brake down your house...
I ran my system on a KEPCO 40 amp power supply [very underrated IMO], with two 1 Farad caps.
One half of the amp powering the sub as described, the other the towers; voltage drops occurred from 14.4 to 13.5 volts when real heavy bass hits.
When you look for a powersupply, look for one with REMOTE-SENSING.
This way you can place it some distance from your listening place so you will not hear the cooling fans all power supplies need. :wink:
Attachments
kepco rear.jpg
kepco rear.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
DSC01509.JPG
DSC01509.JPG (198.33 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

...And just bought a 120 AMP power supply to upgrade the system.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... IF:DE:1123
$ 478 on German Ebay; BNIB.
Weighs 11Kg [switched one], to which I'll add the two 1 FARAD caps for any noise left; that will power my install even better at high volumes.
I'm even going to add my basscube again on the [sub] bridged half of the MS1000.
[THAT draws some current.. :lol: ]
KHPower
Location: In the Phoenix Phorum's boiler room , east of the janitors closet

Post by KHPower »

I run tons of amps on my bench and for long periods of time and have never had a problem. Sometimes I use caps sometimes not. I use the cheapest power supply made a 50 amp Pyeimid and it pushes some juice just fine to most amps , but there are devices you can use to run 1 or more of these power supplies together to achieve the amps required for your particular amplifier

Anywho I can run a ZX500 all day pouding 2 12's.

Holla
[color=#8040BF]Kenwood 993
Team Sundown:4500D
(2) Digital Designs 9500's
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Team Kinetik: HC3800 ,(2),1200s (2) 600's
Factory Authorized Kinetik ,Sundown,MB Quart Dealer[/color]
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

You don't run this ms1000, [ex-Eric's] that already consumes 8 amps just for idling.....
It drained my powersupply completely within seconds, causing it to shut down when watching "jurassic park" at "lets say nice volumes".
[And I like a bit juice left under all circumstances..].
Thanks for the input. :wink:
gratest1

140 amp supply

Post by gratest1 »

We used to use a 140 amp power supply to run a demo home set up. The system was done by Bob H while at BBG. It consisted of 4 ZPA 0.5s powering zpm 130 an tweet in front stereo and rear fill and mono to a centre channel 1 zpm 130 mid and 2 tweets and mono to cyclone. It was something else and it ran well at good volumes...
gratest1

140 amp supply

Post by gratest1 »

We used to use a 140 amp power supply to run a demo home set up. The system was done by Bob H while at BBG. It consisted of 4 ZPA 0.5s powering zpm 130 an tweet in front stereo and rear fill and mono to a centre channel 1 zpm 130 mid and 2 tweets and mono to cyclone. It was something else and it ran well at good volumes...
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

You can buy 2 audio authority 2/77's and a couple of batteries...a charger and you are looking at some serious power for not that much $$$ :wink:
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:I almost want to make my M25/M50 setup run my home stereo... but the PSU is the issue.
1 Audio Authority 2/77 is more than capable of running those 2 amps, especailly if used in hybrid mode with a car battery. You could actually run far more. There are quite a few on the bay right now, I will have another 1 tomorrow :wink:

The 2/77 is actually a better PS than the 100 amp model they make....as the 100 amp model will not run in hybrid mode. It also lacks the connecting posts that allow you to use any gauge wire.

I will have pics of my home stereo posted as soon as it is complete....I hate having to wait for the next set of pics :lol:
I post all mine at once in 1 thread....I have a amplifier restoration thread coming soon for a ZX450v.2 and a ZX250v.2.....if I quit buying amps :lol: