Home Media player

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
VW337
Meatgician

Home Media player

Post by VW337 »

So a little over a year ago I bought a PC-P3LWG/DVD made by Buffalo, essentially a DVD player with a media link built in. Well I never used the media function much as it was slow and a little awkward to navigate. A few weeks ago I downgraded to Vista x64 and low and behold the manufacturer did not make nor do they plan to make a server side software that is compatible with Vista.......now a useless device.

I did some digging and found reference to an open source server that in all appearance has far better capability. I installed it and it doesn't work on Vista x64....back to the drawing board.

I found the root server portion of wizdxp (server app) is an ongoing project and the server app itself does not get updated as regularly as the core files (cygwin) so I downloaded the core files and stripped the primary driver (cygwin1.dll) out of the installer and moved it to the install files of wizdxp........

Now my media unit is faster than before and as an added bonus I can play .iso files without converting them to a recognized video format.

If you have a computer and $99 (or less) this is a pretty decent media playback device as long as you don't use the manufacturer supplied server software.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Sounds pretty cool...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I just snagged one up off the bay for $50.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Wait, what?

Why wouldn't you just use Windows?
Boomshackalacka
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

It appears that this would be another server-side software alternative. They have Windows binaries available (among others).
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Francious70 wrote:Wait, what?

huh?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Windows for what are you kidding? Media Center is only compatible with MCE devices, UPnP services on windows does not play back files that windows can not handle natively, nor does it provide book marking of where you last stopped on any media. An open source media server app allows more capability, and oddly enough a DVD played directly on the unit comes across as 480p while a ripped DVD streamed to the unit plays at 1080i.....

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:It appears that this would be another server-side software alternative. They have Windows binaries available (among others).
Wizdxp plays ISO files, which means a full rip of a DVD no stripping files out or converting it to a compatible type. Full menu's and audio still intact if I ever choose to burn to disk.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I've been wanting a new DVD player, but access to files on my pc with Vista x64 on it is icing on the cake.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Yaay...just got it today, in excellent condition.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

my god, how the hell do you setup wireless on this thing....
everytime I try to enter my WPA key it doesn't work or it says it's too long...wish there was a way to hook up a keyboard or upload the key via USB Flash...

:x
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I've been playing around with it quite a bit....it's pretty cool.
I tried TVersity out on it as well, either it just doesn't have much content...or I haven't figured it out yet.
WizdXP works great though, I like how you can have secret folders... 8)

I ended up setting up a separate access point just for the LinkTheater (had one laying around). Gave it a 20 char WPA key instead of 63 (much easier to type in), and put the MAC address on the allow list.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I hate entering the WPA key to. I just hard wired mine. Noticeably quicker to navigate folders.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Yea, kind of giving up on this thing...the interface just isn't that great...and I'd like to be able to watch Hulu videos etc on the tv, which I haven't been able to figure out a way to do it on this thing.

So I'm gonna build an HTPC.... :lol:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

New media server app found will be trying soon, it should support HULU youtube netflix etc.....Not certain if the device actually supports the service.

PlayOn Media Server

another server app that I found is Siamese, it works and seemed pretty cool but it was more intense as an application on my PC as it ran a SQL database on the back end. Additionally it allows for a media app plugin that functions similar to the pandora music webservice, but uses your local media. I ripped it out because the navigation menus were not really friendly.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Already tried that....

http://www.themediamall.com/node/391

Mine is just sitting on a shelf.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

oh...i just read the new posts...maybe it will work...
dcavaudio

Post by dcavaudio »

VW337 wrote:

Windows for what are you kidding? Media Center is only compatible with MCE devices, UPnP services on windows does not play back files that windows can not handle natively, nor does it provide book marking of where you last stopped on any media. An open source media server app allows more capability, and oddly enough a DVD played directly on the unit comes across as 480p while a ripped DVD streamed to the unit plays at 1080i.....

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:It appears that this would be another server-side software alternative. They have Windows binaries available (among others).
Wizdxp plays ISO files, which means a full rip of a DVD no stripping files out or converting it to a compatible type. Full menu's and audio still intact if I ever choose to burn to disk.

Just a quick note-Native commercial dvd movies are 480i. The video processor in your dvd player allows the progressive format.
Enjoying great sight and sound does not have to consume your life savings!

www.dc-connections.com