Help me pick out a new(er) Home Theatre Receiver

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Me-262

Help me pick out a new(er) Home Theatre Receiver

Post by Me-262 »

This is what I have now: Yamaha HTR-5760 http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/prod ... ID=5000400

and I'm more than happy with it. The sound is great and there's plenty of power. However, its lacking one feature: No HDMI input/outputs. This wasn't an issue before but I'm looking at buying some more gear and I want to take advantage of the simplicity of wiring a single HDMI cable for audio & video instead of Component + digital audio cables.

The rest of my HT system: 5.1 Klipsch setup, DVD player, soon to be media player all of which is dislplayed on a Panasonic 5075 50 inch plasma 720p/1080i. Both the DVD and media player would be hooked up using HDMI cables.

I'd like to replace it with either another Yamaha or just for kicks, a Denon. I've seen this one on Ebay, DENON AVR-987 for $573 or best offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-AVR-987-2807- ... dZViewItem

or a Yamaha Htr-6160 for an even cheaper $322

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Receiver-Htr ... dZViewItem

I know some of you work at audioshops. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just something solid to replace what I have that will be equally good for a reasonble price (less spent is always better mind you 8) ) Now I don't know a ton about HT, are there features I should be looking for ? Is the Denon reallly "Better" than the Yamy to the tune of $200. Any other models you'd suggest for me ?
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I have always liked the Denon receivers. But recently, I am becoming more and more fond of the Integra line. (Onkyo's brand geared toward custom insallation)

But the newest xx09 series Denons are top notch. At least look at the Integra though. You wont find them on ebay or online unless they are used though. At least you shouldnt. ;)
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

This is the newer version of mine:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/prod ... ID=5000300

I haven't seen a better receiver than what Yamaha can offer for the money.

At this point I wouldn't use anything else.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Now isn't the XX09 just the fancier looking version with the same internals as the other Denon's , much like Yamaha does ? With Integra models do you like ?

Yammy's have served me well over the years. Solid performance for a decent price.
dcavaudio

Post by dcavaudio »

Onkyo owns and builds Integra.

Onkyo is your streamed line product for the consumers. Integra is built with the customer installer in mind. Hand picked components. Friendly operation.

What to look for these days?! This is general coming from an installer.

-You must consider what type and power your speakers can handle.
-HDMI upconvert from all other connections. 1.3a,b certified
-Video processing. Current on Onkyo and Integra Farouja DCDI video scaling. One of the best in the industry.
-Audyssey Technologies for room acoustic correction. This function has come a long way. It is actually descent. I still do it manually.
-THX is not always necessary. If installed set-up correctly-it will sound very nice.
-2nd. Powered Zone-this will allow audio distribution without affecting the main zone. 3rd. is available as well.

Ultimately, you cannot choose your electronics without considering the other components. Many people pick, choose and have great products, but seems to always miss something....

Good Luck!
Enjoying great sight and sound does not have to consume your life savings!

www.dc-connections.com
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

I have used HK,Denon and yamaha
all the higher end items
I must say the denon 5800 was the best than the yamaha
I own the hk right now its nice but it get hot and seems like it doesn't have the power of the other 2
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Well lets start with what I have. I use my system primarily to watch movies which is where Klipsch speakers tend to shine. If anything I don't need more power, my current Yamaha has plenty of oomph. So now what do you recommend to match ?

TV: Panasonic TH-50PX75U 720p/1080i

DVD: Oppo DV 980-H
HDMI v1.2a output, 1080p output

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player
1080p capable output over HDMI

Audio:

Floorstanding: Klipsch SF-3
Dual 8's with horn

Surround Speakers: Klipsch SS-3
6.5 with dual horns

Center Channel: Klipsch SC-1
Dual 5.25's with horn

Subwoofer: Harmon Kardon
10 inch , self powered (plenty of watts)
dcavaudio

Post by dcavaudio »

Me-262 wrote:Well lets start with what I have. I use my system primarily to watch movies which is where Klipsch speakers tend to shine. If anything I don't need more power, my current Yamaha has plenty of oomph. So now what do you recommend to match ?

TV: Panasonic TH-50PX75U 720p/1080i

DVD: Oppo DV 980-H
HDMI v1.2a output, 1080p output

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player
1080p capable output over HDMI

Audio:

Floorstanding: Klipsch SF-3
Dual 8's with horn

Surround Speakers: Klipsch SS-3
6.5 with dual horns

Center Channel: Klipsch SC-1
Dual 5.25's with horn

Subwoofer: Harmon Kardon
10 inch , self powered (plenty of watts)
The hook-up for this set-up is best with component video (RGB). This will allow you to use the Yamaha rec. at it's best capabilities as a A/V switching/control. The DVD player needs to be set to SD(480i). Play some movies and see if the progressive mode may look better....? Let the TV do the video processing. The tv needs to be tweaked as well.

WD media player-Component video or HDMI connection. I would go with component in this set-up. If and when to streamline the HDMI connection is when you update the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606 and above) and tv(1080p native res)

Before I get intooooo deeep. How old is the Yamaha? It may best to run all video to tv and audio through Yamaha. Speakers are fine. Is there any bass management set-up on the Yamaha? Please use 16guage speaker wire, no smaller. For the sub settings, this will depend on the Yamaha (bass management/settings) In any case, process the signal once-either at Yamaha or internal sub x-over.

Let me know if you any further concerns.
Enjoying great sight and sound does not have to consume your life savings!

www.dc-connections.com
kg1961
Got wood?

amp

Post by kg1961 »

just picked up a HK avr146 for the front room great little unit and it was on sale for 286 cnd at visions
very happy with my 2 hk's
miss my Yamaha and denon
maybe My wife will not bitch and I can buy the new denon
avr4308 or avr5308
I have to see how big my year end bonus is lol im sure with this year im not getting the 5308
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport