Ubuntu users

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Well, no go :scratch: I set it up so my cd rom boots first, but it does not give me the option to boot from cd? My ubuntu home page keeps booting and I cant get the xp cd to boot. What is the Grub screen? It says the grub is booting from the hard drive. Im a little bit stumped with this, any ideas?
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

grub is the linux stuff booting up, when the xp cd gives you the option to boot from cd it just pops up text based after the computer runs it self check of the ram and stuff. it only stays on the screen for a second or 2 then will move on to the next boot device. i dont know what kind of winxp cd you have, im assuming its a bootable copy. maybe try disabling the hard drive in the boot menu options until you have it formatted? ...you are saving your changes in the bios before you log out of it? do you have more than one cd drive, if so try the other one. you need to have the windows cd in the drive when you start it up.
dry with match
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

wash with gasoline wrote:grub is the linux stuff booting up, when the xp cd gives you the option to boot from cd it just pops up text based after the computer runs it self check of the ram and stuff. it only stays on the screen for a second or 2 then will move on to the next boot device. i dont know what kind of winxp cd you have, im assuming its a bootable copy. maybe try disabling the hard drive in the boot menu options until you have it formatted? ...you are saving your changes in the bios before you log out of it? do you have more than one cd drive, if so try the other one. you need to have the windows cd in the drive when you start it up.
Yes I saved my changes in the bios before logging out. Ive only got one cd drive. I will try to disable the hard drive in the boot menu options until its formatted. Ill try to work on it in the morn when I have more time and no kids 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you wash with gasoline, I have had no luck with trying to disable the harddrive. I think I am just going to get a new Hard drive due to the problems and actual age of the one I have.
Thanks alot for your help with this,
Dean
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

no problem, seems weird that it wont boot off the cd. if you are going to get a new hd id see if your motherboard has sata connections on it. sata hd are about 1/3 faster then the ide drives, for the same price. pm sent
dry with match