Ubuntu users

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Ubuntu users

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

I installed Ubuntu on the laptop last night, gonna give it a trial run to see if I like it. At first I was like WTF?! Starting to get used to it now. Its kinda cool how the send you a list of applications as "packages" from the community. If you guys have any info to help me out to getter up and runnin smoothly, please chime in. :D
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

just run updates / upgrades occasionally. The forum I administer runs on Debian - it's pretty cool.

You might also want to try Xubuntu, Kubuntu or Edubuntu - all variants, Xubuntu is good for old machines, Kubuntu uses a different front end. Lots to play with ;)

Bret
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

That's a version of Linux, right?
Boomshackalacka
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Yep
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

a small glitch, my son and i where looking through the screen savers and went to preview one and it froze, rebooted a couple of times to change it and it freezes. So i let it go to sreen saver by itself and sure enough same thing, it freezes and i have to reboot. Its not that big of a deal but its kind of annoying, any ideas?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

When it "freezes" can you still switch to the text console by using "control-alt-F1" (or F2, F3, F4, etc.) ?

If it freezes, can you use "Control-Alt-Backspace" to kill the X server?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Mmmm... ACPI issues. Welcome to the world of Linux hurt. My work PC running CentOS (another Linux distro) will not resume from standby either, and I sure don't want to fix it.

Hell, even Windows can't do it right. Took me a few hours to get my new PC capable of going to sleep even. Though in it's credit, at least not going to sleep seems to be better than never waking up and requiring a force restart like in Linux.

Sorry dunno what to recommend.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Turning off ACPI (if that is the issue) is easy enough.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

i think that ACPI will be a FLA for the OP.

OP: maybe play with the power options. What laptop is it? did you try Googling already?

Bret
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:Turning off ACPI (if that is the issue) is easy enough.

found a loophole... if I logoff and leave it on the user name page it "sleeps" and then starts right back up as soon as I "trigger" it. The laptop is a Gateway. It actually belongs to my wifes friend. She was running Vista and it kept crashing, she was told it was her HD and has had it replaced twice :shock: and still no luck. I tried to get the Vista up and running to no avail :roll: So I decided to give Ubuntu a try and it it worked.
Its a Pentium dual core,should I try the others that were mentioned?
Im also having troubles getting the media players to work. It wont play DVD's, it plays aboot 10sec worth and then quits and says it cant read the file.
Any more ideas?
Eventually I want to run my desktop with it, once I work out all the bugs.
Last edited by oldskoolmseriesfan on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:Turning off ACPI (if that is the issue) is easy enough.
ACPI stands for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_C ... _Interface

I'd link you to the Ubuntu forums where they discuss the easy procedure for disabling it (you have to edit your grub.conf file and reboot) but their forums are down right now.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

ACPI. Whoa I dont want to mess with that, it made my head hurt :(

If I feel ballsy enough to try it where would I find it?
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

I, in some aspects hate this fn Ubuntu shit. Why cant I post jpeg files, please help. I didnt know that Linux was this complex, ( well to complex for me I guess :oops: ) Feel free to chime in.
Thanks guys.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

What do you mean by "can't post JPEGs"? You can't attach images to phorum posts?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Click Post reply

Scroll down to "Add an Attachment"

Click browse

Find file

Click "Add Attachment"

Pat yourself on the back
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

How hard is it to re-install WXP over Ubuntu, Im finding it to complex to install anything on Linux. I still have a copy of XP from GX3. I should have left well enough alone :oops: Please forgive my noobness. Any and all help is very appreciated.
Thanx,Dean.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

getting xp drivers for a newer laptop mite be a problem, check out there website an see if they have them, if you dont have another computer online download them an burn them on a cd before you start. if you want to do a dual boot with windows an linux i dont know how, if you mean repartition and get rid of linux altogether then start up the machine an go to the bios menu. go to the boot order an select your cd rom to boot first. put in your windows cd restart the machine. when it comes up and says push any key to boot from cd ...push any button. it will come up with options, select instal a fresh copy (or something similar, been awhile) when it asks what partition to instal it on, select the erase partition option. then make a partition in the empty space. then select instal windows on that partition. let the machine do its thing, when it restarts it will give you the option to press any button to boot from cd. DONT, let it start up itself. put in your name password an time zone stuff when it asks. when its done and starts up in windows the video will probly be crappy resolution, put in the drivers and it will look fine. do all the service packs an million updates an antivirus. usually takes a few hours to do it all, make sure you have good ventalation for your laptop or it will be cooking by the time your done ...any qnestions and il try an help
dry with match
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

wash with gasoline wrote:getting xp drivers for a newer laptop mite be a problem, check out there website an see if they have them, if you dont have another computer online download them an burn them on a cd before you start. if you want to do a dual boot with windows an linux i dont know how, if you mean repartition and get rid of linux altogether then start up the machine an go to the bios menu. go to the boot order an select your cd rom to boot first. put in your windows cd restart the machine. when it comes up and says push any key to boot from cd ...push any button. it will come up with options, select instal a fresh copy (or something similar, been awhile) when it asks what partition to instal it on, select the erase partition option. then make a partition in the empty space. then select instal windows on that partition. let the machine do its thing, when it restarts it will give you the option to press any button to boot from cd. DONT, let it start up itself. put in your name password an time zone stuff when it asks. when its done and starts up in windows the video will probly be crappy resolution, put in the drivers and it will look fine. do all the service packs an million updates an antivirus. usually takes a few hours to do it all, make sure you have good ventalation for your laptop or it will be cooking by the time your done ...any qnestions and il try an help
Will this work on my PC? the (ex) wife has the laptop and this q pertains to my PC, and yes I do want to get rid of linux all together.
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

same on a pc. not sure how fast your computer is. win xp likes at least a 1.2 ghz processor an 512ram to be useable in my opinion, it will run on less but its like pulling teeth. i tryed to play with linux a few years ago but after a few days of fighting with it i gave up. i put windows back on and did more research and found that my motherboard was on a short list of boards that would not work with out doing modifications to the kernel and some other stuff that was way over my head. im still curious but i dont have the space or time to mess with it now. seems to me the key is you need another computer to use online while you are getting it running
dry with match
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Just got in from watching the hockey game. Ill give her a shot, and let you know how it goes 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

see your posting again. did it go smoothly, or did i lead you astray?
dry with match
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Its been a crazy week around here, so I havent had the time needed, but I have gone to the bios menu and checked it out. Looks like it should work. Your tutorial seems to be on the money. I will give an update as soon as I have the time. Should be able to give er a shot in the next day or so.Thanx WWG 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

i was thinking about it and you might have a bunch of partitions on your hard drive with linux. if you do just erase all of them until you have one big unpartitioned space then make one big partition, or if you want to get fancy you can make 2 partitions. use the first one for the operating system and the second for storage, i would give the operating system around 30 gigs. when you do that it makes the computer a tiny bit quicker because it limits the op system to the beginning of the disk which is smaller in diamiter which makes seek times a hair quicker because the disk head does not have to travel as far to find what its looking for, its such a tiny increase you wont notice unless you are a ocd gammer. but having your storage on a diff partition means that if you are loading diff operating systems and experimenting alot you dont have to keep loading your pics and other stuff on every time you change it, and if you crash the system or get a virus its harder for it to corupt your stuff in the storage drive. and when you are done loading windows up go back into the bios menu and have the boot order have the partition with windows on it boot first. will save a few seconds everytime the computer starts up
dry with match
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

wash with gasoline wrote:i was thinking about it and you might have a bunch of partitions on your hard drive with linux. if you do just erase all of them until you have one big unpartitioned space then make one big partition, or if you want to get fancy you can make 2 partitions. use the first one for the operating system and the second for storage, i would give the operating system around 30 gigs. when you do that it makes the computer a tiny bit quicker because it limits the op system to the beginning of the disk which is smaller in diamiter which makes seek times a hair quicker because the disk head does not have to travel as far to find what its looking for, its such a tiny increase you wont notice unless you are a ocd gammer. but having your storage on a diff partition means that if you are loading diff operating systems and experimenting alot you dont have to keep loading your pics and other stuff on every time you change it, and if you crash the system or get a virus its harder for it to corupt your stuff in the storage drive. and when you are done loading windows up go back into the bios menu and have the boot order have the partition with windows on it boot first. will save a few seconds everytime the computer starts up
My evening is open tonight, the kids are going to theyre moms for the night, so I will have the evening open to give er a shot. Stay tuned for any q's I might have in a few hours :wink:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
wash with gasoline

il try, going to be helping my uncle tear out his drive way
dry with match