So I fucked up my powered sub this weekend....

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Me-262

So I fucked up my powered sub this weekend....

Post by Me-262 »

Yesterday I thought I'd run a longer Digital audio cable from the HTR to the sub since the existing cable was just short enough to barely reach. After doing all the wiring I went to swap over the RCA cable, when I removed the old cable I heard somethign crack and now the input is loose, feels like its come right off the board. The sub no longer produces output so its screwed. I even tried running the cable into one of the L R inputs and all that produces is humming.

I attempted to remove the amp plate from the sub to have a look , I unscrewed all the outside area screws + the 4 larger screws around the outside and it doesn't losen up at all. Should I take off the 4 screws around the "harmon kardon label as well ? Any suggestions on how to get the plate off without doing any further damage ? Its a great sub and I'd hate to have to replace it.

MORON EDIT: Now I remember why I put the PG Right angle rca adapter on there. The input RCA was lose to begin with so the idea was to remove the cable from the adapter and leave the female RCA input alone so I woudn't break it like I just did. I should have put a sticky note back there, sigh.

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

On most plate amps like that, the RCA ends are just screwed on... so it should be easy to replace. You should only have to remove the screws around the edge.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Did you get the smaller screws above and below the vents?

Plus at the rate yer going at....doesn't hurt to unscrew those 4 if it STILL doesn't want to open.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

True, that heatsink may slide through the plate. I assume the whole fricken plate/amp would come out but perhaps you take off the plate , THEN the amp behind.

So while I am going to unplug this is there anythign in there that could zap me still and if so how would I discharge it (unplug over time ?) I'll hit this up tonight after work.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

turn it off whilst still feeding it tunes. Unplug it and turn back on again.

Leave for a while and then turn it back off before taking it apart.

Make sure you're wearing insulating footwear.

If the amp won't come off, maybe taking the driver out would allow better access?

Bret
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

try the line level to see if it the amp of just the rca
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Well it worked perfectly well right before so I know its not the amp (HTR what I'm talking about). Today I took it apart, or at least attempted to. Removed every screw that was there save for the ones that obviously hold the RCA/line level inputs onto the board. Look at the pics, its obvious HK made this as a "no repair" unit. Its f'ing sealed up even on the inside. I still could not seperate the plate from the box, banging on it from the inside didn't do jack either. At this point I'm at a loss, literally. I think its fucked fucked and fucked. It probably does work with the line level inputs but I'm not running another 60 feet of wire through the basement. Wife is pissed off enough where I pulled up the carpet to get the wire out from the basement.

I'll probably just put this up on Craigslist as some techie bastard will know how to fix it and get a great sub amp for cheap. I wish this happned during boxing day week when all the sales were going on.

Oh, and this is what an HK sub looks like from the backside

kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

shit sell you my energy 10" from last year??? adding my jl 15w0-8 in the room can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You can probably buy another plate amp to drop in its place.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=300-804
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=300-750

Or hell, just cut the damn plastic off.
joyride

Post by joyride »

Ive seen amps like athat before. I agree, cut it off. If not, I have a 500 watt plate amp sitting right next to me i can sell ya.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

This evening I took it downstairs and plugged it into the stereo in the gym. I have an older Yamaha stereo amp down there, I used the speaker wire inputs and well... ITS ALIVE ! So, I won't be giving this away on craigslist after all. Lots more base in the basement now.

This however brings up a new problem. My 6 1/2 bookshelf speakers are in front of me. When I use the treadmill / eliptical / bike and watch TV they're loud enough I have to crank up the stereo rather loud. I was planning on putting another set of speakers directly behind the treadmill.... so I wouldn't have to crank it up so loud. Now to use the sub I need to use the outputs of 2 channels and its a 4 channel amp. Any way to use all 4 channels for speakers + feed the line input signal from the amp to the sub ?

Now I have to pick out another powered sub for upstairs. I'm not in any rush since the floor standing speakers have good output, dual 8's in each one. Question is, what's a good powered sub these days that's less than $300 ??
OldSchoolFool

Post by OldSchoolFool »

AudioSource PSW112. Should be dirt cheap right about now.
Attachments
psw112_sm.jpg
psw112_sm.jpg (588.38 KiB) Viewed 6631 times