Home receiver???

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
smgreen20

Home receiver???

Post by smgreen20 »

I'm toying w/the idea of getting a new home receiver. There's a lot of other things I want right now too, but not so much $$. You all know the feeling. So I'm going w/order of importance.

I'm looking for a receiver that is 5.1 and has at least 2 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out that has the option to pass audio through the HDMI out if I don't want to listen to the surround, just the TV. Do 110 x 5, at least 1 Optical in, be good quality, and now break the bank. $300-$450 range. I prefer Harmon Kardon, or something HH Gregg sells, I get good discounts there. Scratch that, awsome discounts.

I'll need to buy the speakers for the front (R,C,L) too. I'm going w/a DIY set up from partsexpress.com Looking at some Dayton's or more so now, the Morels. Build me own boxes and buy xover boards too.

Know of any receivers that would fit the bill?
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

If I were tight on money and needed a receiver that did all you ask and more and sounded good doing it, I would go with the Integra DTR-4.9. Denon 1709 would also be a good choice but is more limited when it comes to input assignments.

MOST will let you output audio to the TV, but it is a setting you will have to go in and manually change when you want surround sound or TV sound. Kind of a PITA....why would you NOT want anything in surround sound? Even the news is better in surround sound?
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Unless it's a race, movie, or certain TV shows, it's too much noise. Plus watching TV at night while the kids are sleeping.

Edit:I looked up the Integra and it fits the bill pretty well. Now to find one. And how much.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998