Wireless router questions.........

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Wireless router questions.........

Post by Rold Gold »

So I was playing Quantum of Solace lastnight at my buddy's house and he says "We can play online just like Call of Duty.". Got me thinking about getting a wireless router and I have no idea where to start.

What I want to do-
1- I'm gonna put a slave computer behind my TV so I can surf on a 65" monitor and also do Netflix movies.
2- Play Wii online
3- Keep my regular computer

Questions-
1- Which router am I looking for?
2- What all am I going to need?

**Keep in mind that I'll probly not need the highest-end router on the market. :wink: And technical terms make my brain hurt.... :lol:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Shoot...heck dood, your house is not huge right?

If you are going for a wireless router, get a router like wireless G router of some sort. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link are all the common ones. And should work fine. If you need a bit more range, go Wireless N...

G should do it for you tho, unless your gear is just sooo far away from the router etc.
IE: wii, and slave comp....or regular comp...
I am assuming you will hook the wireless router close to the cable modem (you have comcast for high speed internet right? not that it matters...)
Anyway I am assuming you currently have the modem connected to the Computer using an ethernet (lan) cable. Just use the cable that goes to the computer and hook it into the router, and then from the router to the one computer there. Then get a wireless G or N Card depending on the router you buy. Of course make sure it is the same brand (would be best....it doesn't have to be....but will most likely give you the BEST support/range etc). Just set up the security so your neighbors don't steal your bandwith...and you should be good to go.
Anyway let me know...I'll be around...and if you need help...or something...we'll get it worked out.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

You have PM Steve-
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

pm returned
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Hardwire that ish mang. You have a crawl space right?
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Bought a d-link and it works just fine.

Thanks guys........

Eerin- I plan to run a cat5 this summer when I re-do the man-room so I can run a slave and use my 65" for the monitor. :wink:
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Nice...glad you got it set up Harold! :)
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Me too......

Now I'm addicted........