osx is driving me nuts

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
wash with gasoline

osx is driving me nuts

Post by wash with gasoline »

im writing this in vista because booted up in osx the air port wont hold a signal to my netgear router. i have to manualy reset it every minute or so and it has a realy slow speed ...like 30 kb a sec :evil: this only happens when there are pc's running in the house, begining to think im going to have to buy a mac airport base just to make it work rite :roll: anyone using a mix of pc's an macs on the same wireless router with any luck?
dry with match
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

So you have a Mac where the airport works fine if you boot Vista but doesn't work well if you've booted into OS X? Is this an actual Mac or a Hackintosh?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What type of Mac is it, and which wireless spec is it? Is it new 802.11 N, or previous 802.11 G or B? What about your PCs? What about your router?

Are you using WEP, WPA or WPA2 to secure the network?

I have never had difficulties running any Macs on any wireless network, regardless of the brand of router or what other machines are running on it.
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

its a real mac, but i have been curious about the hackintosh builds. its a newer macbook pro, has the wireless n airport. the router is a newer netgear dsl modem wireless n router in one, i tryed using the router in wireless n when i first set it up but i think i had problems makeing the secure network work so i have it set up in wep acting like wireless g. whenever a pc turns on i A, get a message saying my ip adress has changed and i have to manually reset my airport. sometimes its happy, sometimes not. or B, no message it just starts looseing signal. if i reset the modem with all the computers on 2 macs a pc with vista and a pc with xp it sems to work fin until some one shuts off there mac, the ones that stay on ore fine. but the ones that were turned off or went into hibernation dont want to hook back up. seems like a problem with my router, but im clueless how to fix it
dry with match
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I would recommend you try WPA instead of WEP... I've had wayyyyy better results using it in Windows, especially on mixed networks.

Also you might want to configure the base station to run in G or B (whatever the oldest machine on your network is). When you run it in compatibility mode, it runs in N, until a G or B device connects, and then scales the whole network back to G or B speeds. Sometimes toggling this on the fly can create problems, so if you set it to the lowest common denominator, it should work a bit smoother.

Unless you have some old computers on your network, most of your devices are probably wireless-G. B < G < N.

In regards to the IP changing, that definitely sounds like a router problem to me. It might be assigning an IP address specifically to another computer on your network, right after it assigns it to your mac with DHCP.

You might want to try assiging it a static IP address... go to the networking control panel, set up airport, and switch from DHCP to manual. If your router is *.*.*.1 (e.g. 10.0.1.1), you would use something like 10.0.1.100.
cyberpunky

Post by cyberpunky »

its definately a router/IP issue. As above, you need to set static IP addresses for all devices on your network, and will need to do that through your browser and logging into router. Id get netgear support to guide you through it over the phone, unless you got a networking IT buddy. An airport extreme would be easier to get running in shared network(mac/PC) but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get netgear router doing job.
peace
Cyberpunky
"Stop thinking and end your problems" Lao Tze
MEASQ co-founder
2007 Pro-Street National SQ Champion
2007 Pro-Street Victorian SQ Champion