It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 13 of 13 [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: momstang rebuild begins.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm 

On a side note, I have had no luck with HIDs, they dont light, the ballasts are garbage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 pm 
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

I am ready to start taking it on the road at least for short drives to start to shake out the rest of the gremlins but its going straight to the alignment shop first. Once I can get it on the road and a little reliable I can't wait to dive back into the stereo. I have all the gear except the sub. All my previous installs have had nothing bigger then a 10", with the 9's in the doors I am looking forward to at least a 12" in the trunk. Going for more of a SQ build this time so looking at the morel titanium 12".

Did you get the cheapest you could find or something a little better?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:34 am 

I actually bought the "high end" units, sold at a bmw parts retailer. For whatever thats worth...i put caps inline as recommended. 55w ac units. I still have startup issues with them. Having to turn the lights on and off unitl both sides fire but once they are on i can see for days.

Since my car has they are single bulb housings I really only have low beam, ive tried every combination of dual and bixenon with no reliable high beam to speak of.

I put cob leds in the truck, and they work great. Im sure they will eventually fail but so far so good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 pm 

How goes it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:49 pm 

I am amazed that its friday and I am no further then I was last week. Got caught up trying to figure out why the new window regulators were not going up all the way before the warranty period was up with them and wasted a few days with them going back/forth with LMR. Then I had an old friend in town that I hung out with, spent another afternoon in the ER with dad and chest pains(but he is better now). I can't say I didn't get anything done as I am almost finished with the HID conversion I am doing to the headlights and the lack of lights really is the last legality keeping it off the road.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

ttocs wrote:
I am amazed that its friday and I am no further then I was last week. Got caught up trying to figure out why the new window regulators were not going up all the way before the warranty period was up with them and wasted a few days with them going back/forth with LMR. Then I had an old friend in town that I hung out with, spent another afternoon in the ER with dad and chest pains(but he is better now). I can't say I didn't get anything done as I am almost finished with the HID conversion I am doing to the headlights and the lack of lights really is the last legality keeping it off the road.
Lol. Life gets in the way sometimes. Cool hid setup.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:39 pm 

Any progress ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 am 

not really as usual one simple thing turned into a much bigger project and then there was 3 weeks were I was too sick and a week where my brother was in town. I go the lights mounted and had to run some extra wiring for the demon eyes and I decided to do some other wiring at the same time I have been planning on doing. The extra wiring turned into more then I thought as I needed to move some things around to add some fuses. So I have done some work on it in the last month but not as much as I had hoped. I finally started feeling better this week but it took me a few days to get back on my feet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

This week, lighting... I ran the additional wires for the demon eyes, the turn signals and then realized this is the time to run the wires I am going to use to light up the fender badges. While planning that I also had some interior lighting I have added that needed to be connected/powered and just figured I would do it all since the relays driving the interior and exterior lighting were behind my drivers seat air ride mess I just cleaned up. I thought after arranging things last time that I had plenty of space for a couple small fuse boxes and relays to take care of all of this but after my first look I realized I was going to have to move some things around. I had to move the valve block up a few inches and swap the intake for it to the other side. After that I just needed to be able to have room for the wiring and still be able to get to the fuse boxes. This would be difficult/messy because almost all the wiring comes in from the right side so to make room I raised the fuse boxes up 3/8" so I could run the wires under them. All this took so darn long because of the time to arrange everything so it would work and then just because of the wiring. It became a multistep process as I made each cable/wire by first airline wrapping 2 wires together, then cutting them to length, then I would cover them in techflex, cover each end with a few wraps of electrical tape, then cover them with heat shrink and then finally I could label them(1 label per wire) and then finally crimp the end on them. After all that I was ready to connect the two ends on one side, I still have to run/terminate them on the other side. Oh in addition to all that I have been making hand written schematics of it all to show what I hooked up where to make it easier to diagnose problems later.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm 

ttocs wrote:
This week, lighting... I ran the additional wires for the demon eyes, the turn signals and then realized this is the time to run the wires I am going to use to light up the fender badges. While planning that I also had some interior lighting I have added that needed to be connected/powered and just figured I would do it all since the relays driving the interior and exterior lighting were behind my drivers seat air ride mess I just cleaned up. I thought after arranging things last time that I had plenty of space for a couple small fuse boxes and relays to take care of all of this but after my first look I realized I was going to have to move some things around. I had to move the valve block up a few inches and swap the intake for it to the other side. After that I just needed to be able to have room for the wiring and still be able to get to the fuse boxes. This would be difficult/messy because almost all the wiring comes in from the right side so to make room I raised the fuse boxes up 3/8" so I could run the wires under them. All this took so darn long because of the time to arrange everything so it would work and then just because of the wiring. It became a multistep process as I made each cable/wire by first airline wrapping 2 wires together, then cutting them to length, then I would cover them in techflex, cover each end with a few wraps of electrical tape, then cover them with heat shrink and then finally I could label them(1 label per wire) and then finally crimp the end on them. After all that I was ready to connect the two ends on one side, I still have to run/terminate them on the other side. Oh in addition to all that I have been making hand written schematics of it all to show what I hooked up where to make it easier to diagnose problems later.
Lol.. looks good buddy, been there with custom wiring and no schmatics. What a nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 pm 

been there with my custom wiring. I can remember at the time thinking "its simple and I will not forget this". Now its two years later and I can't get the WTF look off my face while I think that.

Page 13 of 13 [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13