GM just killed the pontiac............

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
freshkryp69

GM just killed the pontiac............

Post by freshkryp69 »

like the title says..it was the first thing I read when getting online this morning, whats brand is next???....I guess Chevrolet will be the last standing....Just aslong as I get to buy a new Camaro in about 2 or 3 yr's I guess Ill beable to deal with it....not!!!...it will probably feel like a lost brother,I remember what it felt like when they pulled the plug on Oldsmobile..in school I drove a Cutlass/g body that eventually ran 10.30's with a small block on cheap radials..it was dialed god I miss that car...and when that news made it out I felt like someone stole something from me? know what I mean? and I never planned on buying another Oldsmobile...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Meh... I dunno, Pontiac and Oldsmobile haven't made great cars in a long time. Neither has Saab for that matter... the 2009 9-5 is very much the same car as the 1999 I drive. GM just seems to have too many brands to keep up the R&D work on, and they were forced to focus on making Cadillac and Chevy better. So I think culling the herd a bit is probably a good thing... more R&D towards less brands should give us more good cars, instead of lazily rebranded cookie cutters.

It's too bad they couldn't cooperate more to stir the pot a bit. The Holden based Pontiac GTO seemed to do well, and the Opel based Saturns were a great step towards brand revival (though it was WAY too late). I would have loved to see Holdens sold here as Pontiacs, and Opels sold as Saturns. Anything is better than the cookie cutters they gave us.

It's pretty sad when the Saab derived direct injected ecotec gets put in a Chevy Cobalt, but not any Saabs. GM is just a big ol case of WTF these days.
joyride

Post by joyride »

Lets hope for some cheap G8's on the lot soon!

Im also saddened to see Pontiac go, but as Tom said, they were just too big. There is far too much engineering and design to have that many cars. Hopefully they will turn it around. The new stuff I am hearing about sounds very promising.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

stipud wrote:GM just seems to have too many brands to keep up the R&D work on, and they were forced to focus on making Cadillac and Chevy better. So I think culling the herd a bit is probably a good thing... more R&D towards less brands should give us more good cars, instead of lazily rebranded cookie cutters.
Same thing I was thinking. They need to SELL the Pontiac brad instead of just letting it die. I guarantee someone would snap it up for a few 10's of millions, just so they can make the GTO and Firebird again. And you KNOW they would sell the shit out of them. I mean c'mon, how many rednecks with mullets want them a "biiiiiiird"??
Boomshackalacka
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

I will not miss it. Like stipud mentioned, they havent made anything great in years from those brands.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Mackenzie wrote:I will not miss it. Like stipud mentioned, they havent made anything great in years from those brands.
SUNFIRE :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I my opinion they should also combine the chevrolet and GMC trucks into just 1 line instead of offering duplicates of the same trucks with different stylling. That would save them a ton of money in retooling costs. Years ago ford did that with mercury and now they boast the worlds #1 selling pickup truck. There is way more chevy/GMC trucks sold but because its 2 brands they are behind ford in sales. combine them and they will be #1
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

gridracer wrote:I my opinion they should also combine the chevrolet and GMC trucks into just 1 line instead of offering duplicates of the same trucks with different stylling. That would save them a ton of money in retooling costs. Years ago ford did that with mercury and now they boast the worlds #1 selling pickup truck. There is way more chevy/GMC trucks sold but because its 2 brands they are behind ford in sales. combine them and they will be #1
I would love to see that... trucks and commercial vehicles sold as GMC, cars and maybe SUVs sold as Chevrolet. It will never happen though. There are too many die-hard Chevy/GMC fans, despite that they are the same thing now.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

stipud wrote:
gridracer wrote:I my opinion they should also combine the chevrolet and GMC trucks into just 1 line instead of offering duplicates of the same trucks with different stylling. That would save them a ton of money in retooling costs. Years ago ford did that with mercury and now they boast the worlds #1 selling pickup truck. There is way more chevy/GMC trucks sold but because its 2 brands they are behind ford in sales. combine them and they will be #1
I would love to see that... trucks and commercial vehicles sold as GMC, cars and maybe SUVs sold as Chevrolet. It will never happen though. There are too many die-hard Chevy/GMC fans, despite that they are the same thing now.
-you all got that right :wink:
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I think it's been long overdue myself.............. Why continue to produce a line that doesn't sell.....? It only drives up the price on the cars that do to make up the difference........ Think of what a Impala SS(their most expensive full-size car at the time) cost BRAND NEW in 1964........ They sell for more now in shitty condition........ How many different cars did they make then.......... and how many now.......... The writing has been on the wall for years...........

I would have liked to see a re-birth of the ol GTO though....... With what the Challenger, Mustang and now Camero look like...... I'll bet it'd be damn sexy..........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!