We got a new ride

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

We got a new ride

Post by Jacampb2 »

Well, my wife and I went shopping for a new vehicle earlier in the week. We have two kids and a great dane, and my pick up or her Jetta was just not big enough for the whole family. If we went anywhere with all of us, we had to take both vehicles. Anyhow, my wife picked up a pretty much full time child care job for weekdays, and that was that, we needed something bigger.

We shopped around all day, and ended up picking up a 2005 Yukon Denali. About 80K miles on it, in very good shape. Pretty much loaded to the nuts, heated seats, factory entertainment, in dash factory nav/touch screen. It drives very nice, and has nearly the same DT as my pickup, so it should handle pulling my trailer and buggy on vacations with no trouble.

I am probably not going to be doing any audio install in it-- there is just no extra room with the 3rd row of seats in it. I am looking for any info available on hacking the factory NAV system though. Evidently it can play DVD's on the front screen, as well as other video sources, but GMC locked it out. There is not a lot of info out there on how to unlock. If you know, fill me in!

The biggest downfall is that I have to get rid of my P/u. I just finished the dual stroker box for it and haven't even got it installed because my back is jacked up... I am driving the 1.8l turbo jetta now though, so I will start planning an install for that.

Later,
Jason
Attachments
Denali.jpg
Denali.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

I dont know if he's still around here, but jbondox did alot of hacking to the escalade stock navi around that same year, and I wouldnt be surprised if he knows that denali as well.
I'm afraid of widths.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Sorry to hear about the truck! That box is just superb, too.

Oh well, I guess. Things happens, stuff changes.

Good luck with the hacking, I don't personally have anything relevant to say about it that a simple google search can't reveal.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
drivingdadevil

Post by drivingdadevil »

This is what your looking for.
http://www.lextasy.com/nav_converter_1160_prd1.htm

Kinda pricey. But im shure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.
reallyxxxxxxloud

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

If it uses a GM lan to control everything here in Australia we have a module that will tell it to open up allowing not only the screen but also reverse camera and a ext video source.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Yeah, I have found the lockpick boxes-- that is not exactly what I am looking for. The nav unit is a double din touch screen with a DL DVD drive in it. It is locked so that it will only read the DVD nav discs, not DVD audio or DVD video. It will read CD audio though... Supposedly there are accessible menus for those in the know that allow you to unlock some of the locked out features, like the ability to use the already connected video sources and DVD up front. Ideally I am hoping that it might be capable of playing MP3 from CD or DVD, but there is no way of knowing with it locked out. It does use the CAN-BusII or whatever GM calls it these days. All the factory audio system is evidently on the in vehicle network. The nav system also supposedly has bluetooth audio protocols and hands free, but it is locked to work only with the onstar crap. I found a company selling a "lockpick" to unlock all these functions for about $350-- not to bad of a price considering what an aftermarket nav/touchscreen would cost and would not be integrated as well. I just don't want to drop that kind of coin if the firmware can be hacked to do a lot of what I want...

I know some people that work for Delphi, and am going to see if I can get any inside info on the box. I will update if I find out more.

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600