Audi 200 20v...cooler than you think ;)

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
loxxrider

Audi 200 20v...cooler than you think ;)

Post by loxxrider »

Just thought I'd share my pride and joy. I love car audio, but I love modifying cars and fabricating stuff even more.

Just a little back story:

Used to have a MKIV VW jetta 1.8t with a 50 trim turbo. It made about 400bhp, but would just spin the tires all day. I had lots of fun with it, but I get bored when I complete a project, and I decided that if I wanted more power a better drivetrain was in line.

Enter the Audi inline 5 and quattro. These engines have been pushed to more than 1300bhp, and someone is gunning to put 1700 hp down to all 4 wheels this year. They are famous for their use in the Audi S1, and basically the only way to get one in the states is in this car (only 1991) or in the Audi S4's and S6's. There are supposedly fewer than 800 or so 200 20v's left here, and I found myself a minty one to modify.

I'll just briefly outline what I've done to the car so far. Almost EVERYTHING has to be custom made for it. Nothing just bolts on. If you guys are interested in the details, I'd love to elaborate.

This is all in preparation for monster amounts of power. The power goal is between 6 and 800awhp.

-VEMS standalone engine management system on LS2 individual coilpacks...completely custom wired and tuned however I choose

-Porsche Carerra brakes, Audi S8 rotors, Porterfield racing pads

-Porsche 18x8.5 and 18x10" wheels and 255 sticky tires in the back

-completely custom coilover suspension setup just completed this past weekend.

From here on out, all of the mods are for power. I've already got a whole long block at home to play with. Turbo choices are garrett gt4088r, borg warner S372, or something in that range. Head will be solid lifter...built to rev to 9k+.

You guys might not think she's perty, but I love her. The point here is function over form...I've got heated seats front and rear, a car phone, leather, wood grain, and suede, bitches :mrgreen:

Here is a pic or two for ya

you can kinda see the brake setup here

and if you aren't familiar with these engines...

one of my favorite videos of all time

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...0.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZwAURY3uw
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Gotta love the Audi I5... the wail of it sounds like satans own chariot :drool: :drool:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

when you said 255 tires I was thinking that I have problems hooking up on my 315s I have on my mustang but you are not getting any wider on that thing huh? Looks like there may be some rubbing already? With out the wheels/tires that would be the ultimate sleeper...
phonixx
100th Member

Post by phonixx »

Really nice car, i like picture number 2 taken from behind, the car looks very angry with those big wheels just missing a sign on the back saying "bye bye sucker"or something like that :D

The sound of the Audi engines is just like Music. Keep us updated with your project.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I love the look of Audi's, but it seems that their service records are just too much. If I considered them a reliable car I would love to own one! :cry:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
loxxrider

Post by loxxrider »

ttocs wrote:when you said 255 tires I was thinking that I have problems hooking up on my 315s I have on my mustang but you are not getting any wider on that thing huh? Looks like there may be some rubbing already? With out the wheels/tires that would be the ultimate sleeper...
Yes well...I have all wheel drive ;)

so really its kinda like I have 255's plus 225's on each side which equals 480 :P

I have absolutely no problems hooking up. In fact, this is probably the best quattro they ever made. Its got a torsen center diff and a rear locker that can sent infinite bias to any given wheel at any time depending on the situation.

I think I might be able to fit 315's actually. What you don't see is that the wheels are spaced out an extra 1.25" because they are high offset from the Porsche that they came from and needed to be spaced out for my fitment taste. The stretch the 255's gives the 10" wheels in the back is really more of the euro style anyway.

phonixx wrote:Really nice car, i like picture number 2 taken from behind, the car looks very angry with those big wheels just missing a sign on the back saying "bye bye sucker"or something like that :D

The sound of the Audi engines is just like Music. Keep us updated with your project.
Thank you, thats one of my favorite pics of the car period. Its not quite ready for it yet, but when its finished I plan on having a tag reminiscent of lmbo eatr or something to that effect :D

The audi I-5 noise is indeed like music. Sound is almost always centered around my reasons for building a car.

mr tibbs wrote:I love the look of Audi's, but it seems that their service records are just too much. If I considered them a reliable car I would love to own one! :cry:
This does seem to be the general consensus about them. All I can say is that in my (so far) year and a half of ownership of this car, I have had to do absolutely nothing in terms of maintenance. It does have its problems, but its never ever left me stranded anywhere. I've put about 15k awesome miles on so far.

I suppose you just have to know how to work on them and enjoy doing it to successfully own an older one.

One thing is for sure, it is the biggest pain in the ass to work on. Every possible thing I fix or do to it ends up being 10x harder to do than on any other car I've worked on lol.

After all the dust settles though, I wouldn't change a thing. I love the car and everything about it.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Nice....
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
sands1

Post by sands1 »

Thats one wicked looking Audi! Hell'o'va nice ride Loxxrider :clap:

I suppose you just have to know how to work on them and enjoy doing it to successfully own an older one.

One thing is for sure, it is the biggest pain in the ass to work on. Every possible thing I fix or do to it ends up being 10x harder to do than on any other car I've worked on lol.
That's for sure.

First one I had was a 87 4000cs and it was super , but when I first saw the thread I thought of the nighmares I had with the brakes and tranny on my 89 200t, but it looks like you've taken care of all that and then some. Those brakes you have look and work a million times better than stock I bet.
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Very cool! I like the mild poke and stretch.

Sacralidge!!! No RSs!!! LOL I know RSs are too popular and played out.

Needs an air cleaner.

I want to see it at WinterJam in Daytona next week!!! :)
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
vwguy3

Post by vwguy3 »

phonixx wrote:Really nice car, i like picture number 2 taken from behind, the car looks very angry with those big wheels just missing a sign on the back saying "bye bye sucker"or something like that :D

I think the "bye bye sucker" sticker he has on there is enough! The "shocker" sticker to me says " Yes this old audi is kicking your ass!" I could see how a mkiv jetta would get boring, but I loved my 1.8T engines when I was driving one.

Thanks
Justind
loxxrider

Post by loxxrider »

Hey, haven't been here in a LONG time...but I've been getting the itch for new audio equipment since most of my old phoenix stuff is starting to burn out (I'll probably try and fix two of my amps) and my HX-D10 is kinda annoying considering it doesn't play CD's anymore. Anyway, I thought I'd update this thread while I'm in here.

First of all, thanks for all of the compliments :)

Biggest change is this:

I'll spare the small details unless anyone is really interested. Key points:

Holset H1C turbo
17.5 psi right now
HUGE intercooler setup for my future turbo needs
FIC 1100cc injectors (will hit 1500cc + at higher fuel pressures and they idle like stock!)

Its on my own tune right now. Fuel is pretty good, but I have a LOT of timing to put in the map. Should pick up 50hp at any given boost level once I do that. I need to get it on a dyno or get an EGT sensor before that though.

I feel like its slow because I've been in much, much faster cars, but I was keeping up with my buddy's gti that made 312whp last night. That car weighs 500 lbs less than mine...so I guess its not as slow as I thought.

Looking to make around 400awhp on stock bottom end. Then the plan is to start working on my other project (I'll get to that in a sec), and when that is running, I'll build the bottom end on this car, see how much I can make on this turbo, then go all out and see what I can do with a 67mm turbo or thereabouts :)

Here is a semi-recent pic with some different wheels. They are stripped down now for new paint. I also have some oldschool BBS's that I might throw on (thought you might like that pillow).

So thats the basic update if anyone was interested!

My other project is a 1991 Audi 90q. The kicker is that I have a nice new Audi V8 ready to go in it... MUAHAHAHAHA :D
marko

Post by marko »

loked awsome with the porche wheels on, not so keen on the green things!

what's with the amps "burning" up? if your using old pg then they will all need new psu caps or they will fail at some point..
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nice Holset :D. If my Saab was a manual, it would have one as well!

I think I preferred the stance with the Porsche wheels, though the green is catchy. Green Porsche wheels then? :lol:

Feel free to tell us more... lots of Audi fans here. Myself included.
marko

Post by marko »

also an audi fan, got a 2004 A4 avant quattro sport 2.5tdi, fast,economical and tons of room for ice and any other stuff i wanna haul around!
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
loxxrider

Post by loxxrider »

Yeah, the green was fun for a while. It was just for fun, but I ended up actually liking it. It was catching way too much attention though. They are stripped down now awaiting a new color choice. Haven't decided on it though.

There are a few reasons for getting rid of the Porsche wheels. For one, they were reps, and I don't like having fake wheels. For two, I think I got a good deal in the trade I made. I got the S4 wheels pictured above (perfect condition really) AND I got some 2-piece BBS's. The BBS's alone are worth double what I paid for the Porsche wheels. I did love the stance on them though. I'll get some spacers for the S4 wheels, but they are really my beaters. The BBS's are stance city. See here:

(I'd make them images, but this forum doesn't seem to like flickr image strings)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/l ... 1288455715

fitment on the 200

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2792/444 ... z.jpg?zz=1

Here is a before and after of polishing the lips

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/446 ... z.jpg?zz=1

they are flush as can be out back and in the front they poke a little. Some negative camber will take care of that.

oh, oh...and I forgot to mention that I'm having a custom intake manifold made up for the car. Its a seriously baller setup. Pretty much a money is no object build on it. It was going to have individual throttle bodies, but thats out of the question now because it wont fit.

Its got CNC cut runners and flanges, Velocity stacks machined into the plenum floor, utilizing a Lexuz 1UZ throttle body because its 3" inside, also all connections are using Hargett QDC connectors, and all vacuum connections are with push-to-connect fittings like on semi air brakes.

Thats pretty much it for now other than the fact that I have no idea how long my clutch is going to last. Its a trooper! Its the original clutch in the car (180k miles) and its holding some pretty good power now. No slipping as far as I can tell.

About the amps...yes they are old PG, well semi-old at least. Ti500.4 and a Ta500.2. The 500.2 got toasted, but that was my fault. I intend to fix it soon. (sub wires touched by accident lol) The 500.4 is a mystery. Its cutting in and out on the left front channel. If I crank up the volume on the head unit (dead head) it will come on and stay on just fine. If the volume is too low, it cuts in and out randomly though. Maybe PSU caps? I dunno.
marko

Post by marko »

doubt psu caps will cause a channel to come in and out, most likely a dry joint on that output channel. intermitant problems are the worst in the world to fix :evil:

those bbs alloys are just awsome, can't beat a nice split rim jobbie!
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

green :?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
loxxrider

Post by loxxrider »

The green is gone! lol It was just for fun really.

anyway, yeah I will open it up someday and take a look. I just don't have enough time right now. Maybe in the next few weeks though. I guess I've also decided that my HX-D10 can stay because there is no way I can afford something equivalent at the moment in terms of SQ. I just have to get over the fact that it won't play CD's when the car is turned on...period! Maybe the transport is the problem. Possibly vibration related...or maybe voltage related. Old electronics suck! They sound great when they work though :)