Ford finally has a strong n/a v6 for the mustang

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Ford finally has a strong n/a v6 for the mustang

Post by Mackenzie »

link

http://www.drivingsports.com/site/2009/ ... s-angeles/

The new engine is expected to have a redline of 7,000 RPM, and to deliver 305 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. Transmission options include a new six-speed automatic transmission and a six-speed manual transmission.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

its nice to see ford putting some power in the lower models nows. Expect to see that 400hp mustang gt very soon aswell. Should compete nicely with the 370z, and ect.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

nice......................... 8)
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

30 less HP and 10 more lb/ft than the base VQ37... but probably a hell of a lot cheaper. Seems like it would be a good starter motor.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

From an outsider point of view, Ford seems to be doing more things right than the other American auto makers.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

I can't wait. I basically have been paying off my mazda 3 (my college car to get me from point A to B) so that I can save up and put it down for a new car that I will love.

I have gotten into mods performance wise with my uncles mustang aka 500hp (400ish to the wheels) and I love the sound of a v8. The one thing that they have been talking about is reproducing the 5.0 motor for the v8s and it would be cool to see them with 500hp stock. That would be killer.

However, by then I should have a good job and would rather be rollin in the new lexus is-f and just buy a used one. Not only is it luxory, but it is fast as hell too.

I guess I am in a competition with my brother who has an infinity g35 coupe and he said "the day you have a better car then me is the day I die" so I deff want to beat him. So I want to be very good with my money and find a nice car with a low rate and something I can mod and keep for a long time. Not only is the lexus is-f sporty but I can keep it when I have kids as well. Sedan :)

But yea its hard cuz I would want the new mustang cuz I love the way they sound. But I dunno.... my gf is getting a lexus ls460. haha
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

stipud wrote:30 less HP and 10 more lb/ft than the base VQ37... but probably a hell of a lot cheaper. Seems like it would be a good starter motor.
Yes its not as powerful as the zs, and the g37s motor, but its far cheaper. Remember this is base model, there will be a 5.0 liter v8 that will be in the 400hp territory.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:From an outsider point of view, Ford seems to be doing more things right than the other American auto makers.
Indeed.. If you take a look at fit to finish, and interior quality, ford definately stepped up in the stang, and other cars.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

man fuck the V-6 I am waiting for the cobra jet or boss..

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/04/vide ... tches-air/

thats the shit I am talking about. You wanna beat yer bro?
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

Wow that sounds so nasty FR500CJ wow....

I would love that.
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

um, i know i always start fights with this...but....bmw was beating those numbers in 2001, with a 3.2 6 cylinder.

why is ford proud of this. they are incorporating variable valve timing, AND direct injection. those numbers should be higher IMO
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

uh, and how much did they cost for all this back then :roll:

How about what ferrari and the italian makers were doing at that time?

Somebodys always got a bigger dick, it just the douches that like to wip them out and wave them around...

Mustangs have always been a great entry level muscle car that left alot of room for the owner to add to and increase performance. With so many produced the parts are easy to find, and they have always been easy to work on and great DIY project cars. Bimmers would not fit into this catagory so it is apples/oranges in my book. If you want to pick a domestic manf to compair to it would make more sence........

How come bimmer just found the turbo?
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i was using bmw just becsue thats the cars i know. what i was getting at is that given the technologies ford is using:

-twin variable valve timing
-duel cams
-aluminum block and head
-direct injection

that A: that isnt really that cheap of a motor, and B they should have higher numbers given the technologies they are using. imo

YES it was much more expensive for bmw to incorporate those in 2001 when they were more cutting edge, but ford is STILL putting less power out with a .5 liter more displacement now that those technologies are more common

plus, direct injection motors aren't exactly DIY friendly. fuel pressure in them is right around 2200psi

as far as bimmers in turbos...they were playing with turbos in1919 when they were building airplane motors. they also were building 1200hp 1.5l turbo motors in1974 for their f2 race cars.

they went back to turbo's now because its easier to compete in the hp wars with other German car makers. now they just have to reflash an ecu everytime audi claims they made a beter motor
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

crap...didnt really mean to take this that far, sorry for the thread derail
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Sure ford can make a stronger v6, but why do you need to when there will be a 400hp v8 as an option aswell? Remember that 300hp is all entry level power. Looking at all the strong n/a v6s out, the ford 3.7 is not far off power wise to anything else, and the stang certainly costs substantially less than anything else more powerful (z, g37, ect)
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Whats going to be the argument if the 400hp gt verson beats the 370 z at the track? The excuse will be ford needs a 5.0 v8 to beat it. :roll: :lol: there is always going to be a negative aspect coming from an import driver. no offense just stating the obvious. :lol:
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Also remember there will be an eco boost turbo v6 (365hp) option to go along with the v8. Same motor used in the taurus sho, and the mks ecoboost.

Oh btw, doesnt bmw have a 300 hp turbo v6 in the 335? 8)
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

it is 300hp twin turbo inline 6. What is crazy is that it is only 300 hp. But I am guessing that they rated it very conservatively?
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

well actually it looks really good when at 1400rpms u get 300ft lb. That is almost as good as having a twin screws supercharger. That low of rpms putting out that much torque is great. No turbo lag. At all.
Kenwood Excelon x592
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ford and the mustang has always been about value, not flash. They have always been out to make a reliable car that could compete with what was out there, not necesarily beat it. The mustang has been slower then the camaro for years with the exception of the terminator, but that didn't mean that with simple exhaust/intake and retune that you couldn't gain 15% in hp(my 94 did). Mustangs are not about keeping them stock and with some easy tweeking you can get them to compete with the bimmers power, with alot of work you can tell them to shut the fuck up.. Don't forget the shelby can get up to 500 hp with a warrenty, 750 with out so it is not like they can't do it or do not do it.....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

and you didn't piss me off, hope the douche remark didn't piss you off. I was not saying yer that guy and after reading it hope it didn't come across like that. We are both making valid points and open to constructive critisism I think.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

its prett safe to say the camaros are no longer faster. The shelby beats the camaro ss, and the mustang gt probably will aswell. But yes I see what you are saying.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

Mackenzie wrote:Also remember there will be an eco boost turbo v6 (365hp) option to go along with the v8. Same motor used in the taurus sho, and the mks ecoboost.

Oh btw, doesnt bmw have a 300 hp turbo v6 in the 335? 8)
actually...i am really impressed with the SHO
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

BMW DOES have a twin turbo inline 3l 6.

and yes it only has 300hp :)

the turbos are running VERY small amounts of boost. the don't have a reason to raise this number yet since it already RAPES that 3liter audi a4. when audi or MB raises their HP, they can just reflash the ecu and make more power
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

ttocs wrote:and you didn't piss me off, hope the douche remark didn't piss you off. I was not saying yer that guy and after reading it hope it didn't come across like that. We are both making valid points and open to constructive critisism I think.
we are! thats why i love the PG forum. we can debate a point and not get into name calling and get butt hurt.