New 5.0 mustang gt 412 horsepower

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

New 5.0 mustang gt 412 horsepower

Post by Mackenzie »

Old news, but was recently revelied..

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/17/2011 ... r-5-0l-v8/

Quote:Thanks to a loose-lipped Facebookian that couldn't help sharing insider information and a quick follow-up post from Inside Line, we can now confirm the return of the iconic 5.0-liter Mustang GT for 2011. Even better news is the fact that the Mustang GT's new mill will crank out an impressive 412 horsepower.

By way of comparison, the 2010 Chevy Camaro SS has a 6.2-liter V8 with as much as 422 horses when mated to a six-speed manual and the 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 has a 6.1-liter Hemi that offers 425 ponies. And remember, both of those rivals are considerably heavier than the Mustang.

As much as we'd like to unload more goods on the 2011 Mustang, you'll just have to wait until Ford's good and ready. Or someone blows another embargo, whichever comes first.
Last edited by Mackenzie on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

More Info:

http://jalopnik.com/5429980/more-beans- ... 0+liter-v8

Quote:Other outlets have trashed the embargo further on the new 2011 Ford Mustang GT's 412 HP 5.0-liter V8, blabbing about head design, VVT, all-aluminum construction and other engine tech. Plus, oh yeah, torque numbers.

After the horsepower figures for the new five-oh were leaked last night via Facebook and Twitter, a mere two hours after the end of the preview event held in Dearborn, the guilty parties got slapped around and we figured things would go silent.

Nope, thanks to AutoQuasi-Weekly we can now tell you Ford's reborn 5.0 will in addition to 412 HP put down 390 lb-ft of torque. "But how?" you ask? It'll be an all-aluminum engine with iron cylinder liners, a factory counterweighted forged crankshaft, main bearings that are at least four bolts. A fresh head design includes very interesting vertical intake ports, with four valves per cylinder, and variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust. It also gets mated to both the 6R80 automatic transmission or the Getrag-built MT82, same as the V6 'Stang. There's plenty of other kickass stuff in this engine, but we can't talk about those things yet, because breaking embargoes is totally amateur-hour. Writing about the information after they've been broken? Well, that's totally fair game. We've got reputations to uphold after all.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Ford seems to be doing things right these days. Should compete against the 370 z nicely, and will probably be chaper..
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Thats a pretty sweet engine, but the Mustang's external appearance still does nothing for me...
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

stipud wrote:Thats a pretty sweet engine, but the Mustang's external appearance still does nothing for me...
Fair enough.. Doesnt look as good as the challenger, I can agree with that. Atleast the interior is nice. They should probably go with more of an agressive look like in the 04 cobra years.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

I've never been a Ford guy, but they do seem to have their stuff together. Instead of increasing displacement (and weight) they are getting more out of a smaller engine. Kudos to Ford.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the 2010 I like better then the 05 but I am still partial to the 94-95 gts for some reason :D

it will be interesting to have a stang that will be up with teh maro for a change, can't wait for the cobra!

is that the new boss 302?
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Dam I love the 70 Boss 302, and even lust after the 70 Boss 429. I really like the look of the new stangs, cause they remind me of my ol' 68. Though the new Challenger is sweet as well. I think Ford and Chevy just never added the kick ass paint schemes as well as Dodge did. The new Camaro does nothing for me. They look good in the mags, but once I saw them in person, I was not impressed.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

Sooooo, is this going to be a real 5.0 this time or for history's sake will it actually be a 4.948 again?

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Over 400 hp all aluminum with 4 valves per cylinder sounds great though.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

was the 5.0 ever a real 5.0? i think it was always the conversion of 302 cubic inches

gotta admit, ford is slowly impressing me. the new focus looks pretty mean too
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

as he said the actual displacement is 4.948 but that just wasn't as cool as

oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

gotta admit, ford is slowly impressing me. the new focus looks pretty mean too[/quote]

I couldn't agree more completely. Ford quality has come light years from what it was in the 80's. They are also coming out with some decent styling to go along with that quality! And no bankruptcy! Go Ford.

This is coming from a die hard Chevy fan.
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

I've always been a GM/Holden fan, however I will say that Ford interiors have always been better that the Holdens and the Mustangs have always appealed to me. The 80-90s Stangs weren't anything to brag about in cosmetics. But the new ones, tough! I actually like the look of this new Stang!
-1998 Mazda 929 HC Series 1-
[b]Alpine[/b]- CDA-7998R/CHA-S634/
PXA-H700/MRV-1507 x 3/MRV-F407 x 3
[b]Phoenix Gold[/b]- Xmax 12 x 2/ZPM160 x 4
ZPM100 x 2/ZPT25 x 2/Bass CUBE/DD5
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Now I just wish they would bring over some of their Australian cars. When GM brought over the GTO and G8, those were the only Pontiacs I would have ever considered buying! I wouldn't mind a 5.0 Ford Falcon or something to hoon about in :mrgreen:

The Taurus SHO is pretty close, but it's too complex. I LOVE RWD V8 SPORT SEDANS.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the gto was fast but had no charisma since it looked like a sleeker grand prix. it was too bad that they didn't do just a couple of things different on that car as it could have been a classic.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

ttocs wrote:the gto was fast but had no charisma since it looked like a sleeker grand prix. it was too bad that they didn't do just a couple of things different on that car as it could have been a classic.
Exactly. You could walk into a Pontiac dealer, get asked two questions to select the "model" you wanted.

What size? Small medium or large?

Economy or performance based?

Visually they were so homogeneous.
dsblk93gt

Post by dsblk93gt »

It sounds mean stock too. Looking forward to driving one! I have a '93 LX 5.0 and a 98 GT myself.