Car opinions...

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
jbob0124

Car opinions...

Post by jbob0124 »

I've got a 02 Dodge Dakota (ext cab) which is paid off. I've gotten to the point where I want to finally put my gear to use and get it out of the garage. Dropping time and money into it the back seat doesn't sound like fun. I think I'd rather stick with a "stealth" install into a trunk, which sound much more exciting.

Here's my question, would you just stick with the paid off vehicle which you feel mediocre about the installing side, or get a car which you would much rather install your gear into and take on a new payment?

Im torn, and looking for other's opinions thanks.
BigBrent

My 2 cents.

Post by BigBrent »

Call me a conspiraracy theorist... but these days I think you need to stick with what is paid for. I don't think you want to be dependent on any bank.

Brent
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

I know what you mean. Its nice not having the payment. If I was to get a new car, it would be no means be new. It would definitely be a used car.
BigBrent

Dakota owners unite!

Post by BigBrent »

I have a 2000 Dakota Standard cab and I am planning a small install. I have found too that you don't realize how much you like your plain everyday ride, until you don't have it.
The plan is... 1 M50 (in the process of recapping), Qforms kick panels, a PG R6 component set, PG R5.25 coaxials, a 3 inch center channel, and a XVR12 passive crossover.

Right now, I have half the stuff... car audio on a budget, and my time.. could be a year before I have it done... hahaha

Brent
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

I have a rough idea of what I want to install. I've got 2 original series Xmax 12's, 2 ZPA0.3's, 1 tantrum 1200.1, 1 set of 6.5 Ti Elites, an eq232 and a pld66.

I would like to add a powercore and possibly a ZPA0.5 to take the place of the tantrum, and possible add 2 Xmax 8's or the Ti Elite 9's
Last edited by jbob0124 on Sat May 01, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigBrent

lots of stuff

Post by BigBrent »

Wow, lots of equipment... be sure to post the finished product... I know I will, just don't know how long it will be until I get mine done.

Brent
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Yeah its going to be a while here too...I will definitely take some pics to show when it comes time. Just trying to figure out the vehicle situation. I would love to put it all in a GTO, but those are too pricy. Might settle for a Grand Prix or even possibly a Mustang.

I keep telling myself to keep the truck, but like I said before, it just doesn't sound like any fun in the truck.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Unless you can get a good price on it, I wouldn't bother changing cars just for ease of stereo installation. If you can get around the install issues for less money than the cost of a new car, then you are better off in my opinion.... unless of course the new car fixes other problems for you as well, besides just the stereo.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

having just ordered a car, I am probably a bad person to give advice, but unless there is a compelling reason to get a new one, I would stick with the existing one. The dread of a car payment has been washing over me for the last week or so... not something I am looking forward to. If my tacoma didnt have 255,000 miles on it I wouldnt have even considered it.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Well the biggest thing about getting a different car for me is that it gives me the trunk to install into and a usable back seat. It would definitely be a cheaper and older vehicle, nothing newer, maybe around 2000-04. I've got most of the equipment I need to install and I think I have enough saved up for anything else I may need. I guess I just need to see what's out there and see what kind of prices they are.
reallyxxxxxxloud

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

NewOldStock wrote:having just ordered a car, I am probably a bad person to give advice, but unless there is a compelling reason to get a new one, I would stick with the existing one. The dread of a car payment has been washing over me for the last week or so... not something I am looking forward to. If my tacoma didnt have 255,000 miles on it I wouldnt have even considered it.
Bloody hell that's some miles. You would be lucky to even find a Taxi with KMs here of equivalent...

I've bought my first new car Toyota Hilux about 1 year ago and can say quite happily I'll never do it again. I'll finance a secondhand new model next time.
PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1
ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4
AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
ECLPISE 10" X2 SW9102
PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES X2
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

reallyxxxxxxloud wrote:
NewOldStock wrote:having just ordered a car, I am probably a bad person to give advice, but unless there is a compelling reason to get a new one, I would stick with the existing one. The dread of a car payment has been washing over me for the last week or so... not something I am looking forward to. If my tacoma didnt have 255,000 miles on it I wouldnt have even considered it.
Bloody hell that's some miles. You would be lucky to even find a Taxi with KMs here of equivalent...

I've bought my first new car Toyota Hilux about 1 year ago and can say quite happily I'll never do it again. I'll finance a secondhand new model next time.

LoL tell me about it. it runs like a top but I know its only a matter of time. so, as it sits today I put about 5k miles a year on it and about 30k miles/yr on the wife's Subaru. need to balance that out some...
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold