Why not to put off regular maintanance on a corrado

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
wash with gasoline

Why not to put off regular maintanance on a corrado

Post by wash with gasoline »

Been driving my car for years now with no problems besides the heater core, been putting off the simple stuff like timing belt, valve cover gaskets ect for awhile

...well i finally dug into it when my serp. belt idler pulley siezed, id been driving it for around a month with no first gear as well :lol:

This thing turned into a fing mountain :idiot: :idiot:

I started by digging into the timing belt, turned out that my intermediate oil pump drive shaft was toast, and my cam gear was bad as well
no idea what happened to the oil pump drive, looks like at some point before i owned it the gear came loose and started eating itself. Then they just tightened it back up instead of fixing it, it wobbled alot. Im just lucky it didnt eat the timing belt

I got lucky and found a 16v passat at the junkyard to rape, and got the parts i needed for that

Then when i was installing the new shaft i broke the oil feed line to the suppercharger :idiot:

When i pulled the charger to fix that i got to thinking i was way overdue for a rebuild on it to...

turned this

into this

plus the worst packaged rebuild kit iv ever seen

Then my displacer for the charger (made of magnesium) somehow fell and got dammaged, luckally i found another one local for $300 :idiot:
Now my charger is good again...

I have new waterpump and thermostat installed, new cam crank and intermediate shaft seals installed, new timing belt and tensioner installed, rebuilt ac lines installed, new front and rear motor mounts on

I have to install the new serp belt idler and tensioner pulley, the rebuilt charger,and put the whole the whole front end of the car back together

Then i get to start on the transmission, have a used one that needs new syncros for 2nd gear ...but at this point im out of money :roll:
dry with match
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

god don't you just love it when you get to that point when you stand back and think about how much you have taken off and accomplished, and then pray like hell it all goes back together?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Nice! Make it live!!! I have loved all my VWs. I hope I never have to go without one. Looking for a B5 Passat wagon or a Eurovan at the moment. Might stick with the MK3 GTI VR6 a bit longer though. :)

Those G60s can be made mean. Fun stuff there.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

Did you do the 16V conversion on the G60 yourself? I'm guessing you are running the standard pulley on the charger? That would make it about 210BHP wouldn't it?
When I rebuilt the G60 I had in my Mk1 I got the shaft redone at our plating shop to get rid of the grooves from the old oil seals.

I'm currently getting a 9A engine from a corrado ready to go into my Mk1 in place of my 1.8 16v.
dontlookatme

Post by dontlookatme »

ur driving this back to so cal?
3x ti600.2, 1x ti1000.2 (hidding in the closet),1x 6.5 ti elite comp (front), 1x 5.25 ti elite comp (back), 2x XO crossovers, 2x tantrumX dual 4 ohm, zero point full power+ ground wiring
6x pc-ccc zero point rca
storage for the rest of my stuff