My girl!

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Grim0013

My girl!

Post by Grim0013 »

Ever since I was in high school ('89-'93) I wanted to some day own a 1987 Buick Grand National. The combination of power, speed, class and just plain intimidation was mesmerizing. It took 15 years, but a few years back I finally got one. Of course, she needed a bit of work.... At first, it was just the ignition, then the wastegate, then the rear main seal, then the transmission..... You know the deal. Now, finally, she is nice and healthy and ready for me to get to work on the interior. Which means lots of PG goodies!

As far as the motor goes, she dyno'd 497 HP and 506 ft/lbs at the rear wheels, running about 25 psi of boost, on 93 octane pump gas. Not much left stock under the hood. :)
  • Custom Turbotweak chip
    Alkycontrol progressive methanol injection
    4" cold air intake
    3.5" LS1 MAF sensor
    3.5" mandrel bent intake plumbing
    PTS 63 P-trim turbo
    Stock location intercooler
    3" IC plumbing
    70mm throttle body and plenum
    Champion flow-matched Intake
    Champion ported heads
    RJC Racing Powerplate (evens out airflow between cylinders better)
    75 lb/hr (about 800cc) flow-matched injectors
    Walboro 340 fuel pump w/ "hotwire" kit
    Champion flow-matched intake
    Champion ported heads, milled .020
    "mild" cam
    Ross forged pistons
    Custom 3" downpipe
    External wastegate
    ATR 3" dual exhaust
    Full-length subframe connectors
    "built" 200-4R 4-speed auto
    Art Carr 3600 RPM stall converter
    Factory A/C (Still blows cold as hell)
    Sometimes sets off car alarms and doesn't even have a system in yet. :)
This year, she's getting the PG treatment, then maybe this winter I'll finally have the time to rebuild the suspension and maybe do a brake upgrade. These things can handle surprisingly well with an upgraded suspension. Right now, she holds to flat road like crazy, but the bushings are shot, so dips and bumps can cause a loss of contact, which is, ummm, bad.

Octane Limited Edition (maybe for sale soon)
MS2125TA MS2250TA (Thanks Wakeup)
MS2125 x 2 (white, need caps)
MS275 (Burr Browns and fresh caps - Thanks, Matt)
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

Oh HELL yeah!

Buick Grand National... SWEEET!
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

........................ :drool:
I've always wanted an 87' Monte Carlo SS with the euro front. There is a white one for sale in my neighborhood but I don't have the $5K he wants... Brand new 350 dyno'd at 375hp / 300tq and rebuilt trans...
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

shit son...that is ridiculous. not a lot of 74 or newer american cars i would ever consider owning....that it totally one of them. N I C E ride

every got it on the track? thats got to be at least low 11's
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I was never all that big on the style of those. It doens't look bad but it just looks like a black car that I would expect my grandfather to drive.

But now 500 hp outta a 6er I can respect............

Whatcha plannin for the system, plenty of room just too bad the 4x6 speakers in the dash are so shallow that you can't put much up there. Kick panels?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Sweet ride right there! 8)
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
joyride

Post by joyride »

Looks pretty clean. I really shouldnt like the Grand National, but for some reason I am always enamored by them. I dont know what it is about them. There is just something that says 'bad ass' every time I see one.
Grim0013

Post by Grim0013 »

The style definitely isn't for everyone, but it is definitely for me. Subtle in some ways, over the top in others...a bit of a contradiction, kinda like me I guess. :)

ttocs wrote:Whatcha plannin for the system, plenty of room just too bad the 4x6 speakers in the dash are so shallow that you can't put much up there. Kick panels?
I'm putting Image Dynamics horns under the dash, one or two Image Dynamics 6.5's in each door, and a pair of Acoustic Elegance 15's, infinite baffle in the trunk. For amps, I'm going all MS, baby. A 275 w/ Burr Browns I got from Matt, a 2125TA and a never installed 2250TA that Wakeup helped me get off the wall at some dealer out his way. And I'm topping it all off with a JBL MS-8 for processing. Everything except the MS-8 has just been sitting for over a year now, sadly. Need to get to work on her soon. I keep saying that...fucking ADD, heh.
Octane Limited Edition (maybe for sale soon)
MS2125TA MS2250TA (Thanks Wakeup)
MS2125 x 2 (white, need caps)
MS275 (Burr Browns and fresh caps - Thanks, Matt)
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

horns huh? Don't forget a REALLY big eq then....

the id 6's are pretty big too, gonna need a shoe horn to fit them in the door. Should be fun system
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.