OTEC time

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

OTEC time

Post by ydnap »

This is going to be a long post with lots of pics..

It's about time you guys and gals met my crew, OTEC (Over the edge customs)

A very sound bunch of guys with some really nice cars, also for the first time I will present pics of TomOTEC's new install (which is frankly astoundingly pretty).

So I got over to what I call Disneyland' around 3:15. Tom wasnt done work yet but being the top dude he is he cut early and I had to move the cars in. I call the place Disneyland because it has every air tool, countless lines, a paint booth and the best pressure washer ever. Also masking tape, blowers, fans.. It is heaven for working on cars.

Anyways thismorning I went out and took off all of the stickers left on the car. They wont be going back, and I can finally reveal why they were there (I had forgotten lmao)

Here is where the stickers began. I forgot my cousin drove into a skate rail gauging the skirt.

So it was time to wash the car to begin work. The washer even has degreasing soap lol.

After this Tom asked me to bring his car in so he could wash it, so I did. And finally got some pics of the install he and I have been working on.

The dash and paint was done by us and the guys at OTEC (inc the screen fibreglass) and the rear install was done at a local place.

Check out his auto shifter, an ebrake thing. Im doing this soon, expect a how to :)

And this is my paint booth I have had free roam in. Note the ceiling extractors and lots of lighting. It also has full drainage.

OK screw this, let's get down to business OTEC style.

Hood off.

Mark it and line it.]

Stop for a scooby snack.

More

And let Tom do the cutting :) lmao

Hmm, that dremel will take all day, time for something with a bit more oomph.

Mmm, holes

In they go.

Hmm, something missing here surely???

Time for full prep.

Zach sanding the hood. Note how happy my guys are to be working on someone elses car lmao.

Painted and drying (all touch ups and blow ins.

And then it was time to wash other cars whilst the fans were drying the paint..

500WHP scooby wagon.

Radek's Eclipse.

And Zachs welded shut and repaired hole.

Coming next week.... OTEC paints a Tiburon Holographic then gets horribly drunk until the next day.. In stereo where available.
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Moved to "post your ride".

I think this right here (and here) is the best your car has looked. Blacked out headlights and tails on a clean white car. Very nice.

The vents are a little outlandish, but that's the point, right? They would definitely look better painted to match the car though. I assume you will be flushing them into the hood with bondo?
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

stipud wrote:Moved to "post your ride".

I think this right here (and here) is the best your car has looked. Blacked out headlights and tails on a clean white car. Very nice.

The vents are a little outlandish, but that's the point, right? They would definitely look better painted to match the car though. I assume you will be flushing them into the hood with bondo?
Thanks Stip.. Ill keep this thread going until it's done.. Didnt wanna add that many pictures into the last one :)

As for the vents. Yes they are outlandish. They do really stand out at the moment because the whole car is flattened and they are cleared. As for bondoing around the edges well they dont do that on the real thing. That's exactly how theyre mounted. Infact the edges are about 1mm and slanted so they look pretty damn flush as they are :)

That and I cant handle another drop of bondo lol.. I think when the car is painted and shiny and all the black accent parts are on itll look alot better, those vents are a part of my front end design with the mesh, blacked fogs and plate frame.

I have noticed them working already tho, last night I could see tiny heatwaves coming out of them so thats got to be a good thing hehe..

Also with the black rims theyll blend in alot more, I mean right now theyre pretty much the only fitted black piece.. Theres still some to do, I put self tappers through them to hold them in for now and then next week Ill epoxy them down once the paint is done and bondo the pinholes in them :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I would personally paint the vents holographic along with the car. While I agree that they would match the rest of the black stuff, I still think they would look a little out of place not being painted to match the body, rather than trim/accessories. Instead of making it look like a part you added on later, you should make it look like they were there to begin with. That is how really good tuning is done IMO... when you make it look like part of a whole.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

New toy :)

Feels like Im playing Daytona USA

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I finally got a picture of that 03 Tiburon that I painted. Thought you might like to see...

It's kind of dirty.

ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I love all Tiburons but none more than the RD1.. They were also the most expensive of the Tibs so far, RD2 being seriously cut down to reduce the cost..

Id like one of each tbh lol

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Prelim paint pics..

Still a ways to go. I had a bad run in the passenger door that wouldnt come off without taking off flake and paint. It's smooth now, VERY easy to fix just gotta put a small bit of white primer down to cover the grey then blow the door in with flake and clear.

I dont even have to mask the car, just shut a trashbag either end of the door and tape one over the window (ill supply the bags this time hehe).

So I got up earlier to get onto removing that run, sun was in and it pretty much looked like a shiny white car..

So i set about fixing the run.

And then out of nowhere, sun came ! but the camera doesnt do this justice. It pops *so hard* that its almost magical, I really cant put into words how fucking amazing it looks when youre there with it in the sunshine. Breathtaking.

(had bird shit on the roof so water there cos I washed it off)

Back bumper closeup

*Note, cross posted over 3 forums

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

I dub Thee GLITTER MAN !

not bad for a brit :lol:
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I shall wear my boobtube and dance to night fever :D

After spending yesterday resting (man I dont have the energy I used to lol) I decided to put in the vents late last night (right before a thunderstorm).

Decided on pop rivets, these will be easy to skim over with bondo :)

So that went well, unlike the taking of the pic.. There are aload of geese around atm, and these 2 were doing their best impression of a hissing cobra :haha:

Here's what theyre protecting.. awwwwww :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

It's not too late... you can still paint them white!!

You know, like the Cossie?
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I've heard that the pop rivets will show throw the body filler after a while, since they rust. No personal experience because I've never done it, but just a forewarning.

I would have used some 3M 8115, perfect for this type of application, very strong stuff.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

those geese are Canadian. slaughter them

damn nafta....
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Thumper88 wrote:I've heard that the pop rivets will show throw the body filler after a while, since they rust. No personal experience because I've never done it, but just a forewarning.

I would have used some 3M 8115, perfect for this type of application, very strong stuff.
Theyre aluminum :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

stipud wrote:It's not too late... you can still paint them white!!

You know, like the Cossie?
mmm.. cossie.. However this aint a cossie. Its a Tiburon lol..

I'm getting there mang, give it time when I have all the black accent parts on :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I went to fit the Tenzos the other day (saturday) and realised I had a big problem.. Because these came from a RD2 Tiburon and mine is an RD1 we noticed that there are bolts on my hubs for the shitty captive rotors.. How they stayed on that day is a miracle, Im lucky to be alive lol..

So I have ordered some 5/16 spacers to lift the rims over the bolts for the rotors, theyll also give them a wider stance :)

So here they are, cleaned polished and tire shined. Theyre immaculate tbh, and for $400 for all 4 with good/great tires I couldnt have wished for more. Even a set of cheapy 17x7's would have done me $650-$700 and these Tenzos are well over a grand with tires.. Not only that but soon you'll see why so many choose these for the rd1 and rd2 tiburons :)

And the repaired one, again how he got this sorted is nothing short of miraculous :)

2 nights ago I took a friend of mine out for a long drive.. did some crazy corners in the rain lol.. The car is filthy but I finally got to putting the plate back on the front with that caddy deville plate frame.. Car has been nicknamed the gladiator by the crew because it looks like it's now wering full battle armor lol.. Only the strobe fogs to go now on the front :)

Also got the pedals in today :)

And one more of my pride and joy :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

glad we don't have front license plates here in michigan....
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

custom

adjective
1. made according to the specifications of an individual [syn: custom-made] [ant: ready-made]
Made to order.
2.Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Gotta say... those rims improved the look tenfold.

Get your new brake lights in yet?

Now just paint the vents white :lol:
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Screw you hippy !! once you go black you cant go back..or something.

The vents are now bondo'd.. all the spare holes are smoothed.. I decided not to bondo over the rivets incase it cracks (it probably would, noone ever bondos over bodykit rivets..) but theyll be painted and blend very well (I kinda like the look of the rivets too, give it a track kind of look..)

I want to put the tails in SO bad my cock is erect.. but I darent open my trunk around here (not after losing a window at the old place) so if one of my buddies is around this evening I will bop over and put them in :)

Saturday Im back at the paint booth and all the minor repairs (which are all done and in white now) are going to be reflaked.. I will also do the mirrors (black) handles (black) and finish the vents.. Then it's just a matter of buffing the paint next weekend and wiring up the red neon behind the mouth and fitting the tinted fogs with the red strobes in.

Then the car needs cleaning out. I reakon I have a shed full of shit in the backseat and passenger seat :D

It was very hard trying to punt the black parts without the rims on. As soon as I started the car I knew what rims I was aiming at.. ALWAYS black with the polished lip.. I would go all black but if you rash them it's a fuck to fix.. VERY easy to polish out scuffs on a billet edge.. Once all the black accent parts are on in force it will finally make sense..

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

I gotta agree with Stipud

love the rims, paint the vents
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

hmmage.. ok you know what Im going to ask my crew what they think. If they say paint (the majority) then Ill paint :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

With every turn of the wrench and the screw the more custom this has become.

It's funny really, before the parts started to be fitted none of the work I had done could really be seen. My hands are hard and cracked and the skin is peeling off and I have been wrecked tired for weeks because I have been putting in 10am - 5pm, shower then work my job from 6-12.

But just check this out. As if the rims wasnt enough for one day these tails just look plain fucking evil.

I was worried I would become a cop magnet, but with the lights on at night they would never know they looked like that.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Lookin good dude 8)

(Now just paint the vents white :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: )
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Thanks Tom :)

I've yet to meet with the OTEC guys so Im still not sure which way the vents will go..

OK so I was up bright and early again, went out for brekky @ BK and then got onto another finishing detail.. The back end plate part.

I envisioned this in black with a red neon (6") with either an AEM or Injen plate frame (black one with white text.. to match the car.. yes the finishing details really are that specific) however, seeing as how Im running a clone AEM intake (same fucking thing for $40) and the fact that I have no Injen stuff coupled with the fact that Injen and AEM wanted $20 for a sodding piece of plastic at NOPI meant that I looked elsewhere.

Now I have many nicknames (cunt, limey, handsome rob among others) but my latest is 'Gecko'. The little girl Megan I go and spend time with points at the TV during the Geico commercials and says "GEKKO !" and then points to me.. I spose I do kinda sound like him lol.

So I saw this at Big Lots and at first it looked a bit dumb, but then when I made the connection it was a cheap way to go to finish up the back, and Im sure Megan will get a kick out of it :)

So then it was time to mask up the area to be painted, out came the scalpel and tape..
I also cleaned the plate with chemicals to remove any dirt or overspray

You will also notice that these pics are alot more radiant and bright than any before.. I looked at the camera settings today and realised the white balance was on 'flourescant' which made sense.. The last time this camera was used before I got it was at a car show in Phila 2 years back and the guy who gave it to me had it set to that for the lighting lmao.

So now you can actually see the shifting flakes in pics :D :D :D

Some green..

Bright orange.

Orange into green.

Neutral and shiny :)

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.