painted my dist cover

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

painted my dist cover

Post by ttocs »

I got bored and decided that the stock distributor cover could use a little touching up. It was just a black plastic piece that snaps right on the top. I sanded down the little bit of writting that was on the top, put down a coat of primer and then high-temp aluminum paint. AFter that I followed up with two coats of dupli-color metalcast smoked to darken it up, then two coats of metalcast green. I made the pony logo and checkerboard on my decal cutter with some highly reflective chrome vinyl and then finished with a coat of clear to help hold it on. Not sure how long it will last with the temps it is exposed to(the decal not the paint) but even if it fails I do not have much $$ into it.

Whatcha think?

I like it although I hate the way that it doesn't match anything else under the hood(hense the close up). That will work nicely though as I had been struggling with what to do with two pieces that I recently made, a dist coil cover(which sits right next to this piece) as well as a fuse holder/grounding point. That will help to save a few bucks since I will not need to plate those pieces now as I will give them this treatment instead.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

FAHVE OH!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh one final question. the period or "point" in the "5.0" is traditionally red. Should I replace the point with two red rectangular leds that would of course be on a switch just for shows and such? I think it would be a neat cherry on top.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nah I wouldn't go over the top with it. Looks nice and clean as is.

Maybe if they shone through a piece of frosted plexi so they weren't so blingy? Still seems like a lot of effort for not much. I would rather see the whole 5.0 light up in that case.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would not put a super bright led, more like one you might notice after you saw the cover. AT teh moment the cover sticks out like white socks in a black suit but once I put some more of the checkboard pattern here/there it should make for a nice design integration. I just put the 2nd coat of primer on the stock fusebox to give it the same treatment. I originally got the paint to do my breaks, ordered 2 cans and now I like it so much I might need more. The paint is actually a green candy paint so it looks really deep while still being pretty close to the stock color.