Back to school............

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Back to school............

Post by Rold Gold »

So as of late I've been listening to what everybody around me has been saying over the years and am looking into going back to school. Specifically, the FORD ASSET program. Being a grease monkey seems to be my calling as I'm the guy all my friends call when their car runs crappy or won't start or squeeks or anything else abnormal......

Anybody here ever take such a coarse? It's not that I don't know what I'm doing, it's that I don't have a piece of paper that says I'm qualified....... :roll: And the only postion I could get in a dealership is changing oil and wiper blades without it......

Any input is greatly appriciated...........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Back to school............

Post by stipud »

My only hesitation with mechanics is to think about your body. My best friend is trying to change jobs now because he got hernias and all kinds of other health issues within only a few years of working at a car dealership. He's trying to get into the engineering side of it now so there's less physical labor.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I've thought about that too Tom.........................ALOT.
It's all about what you do.... I was thinking more on the electrical side of things as Ford's have these gremlins after afew years..... But none the less..........It'll take a toll on me from time to time.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

That's funny, I was thinking of wrenching as a less physical back up job.
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

Those papers come in really handy when it's time to apply for a job. You may want to consider working in the office as a service writer. Most of the ones I've worked with know a little more than squat about mechanics, but their BS game is top notch. At least with a mech background, you'll actually know what you're saying/getting accross and can rake in the commission. I remember some of them made more than I did and I was getting $25/hr flag rate. Lastly, I started in HVAC before I tried mechanic work and I love the electrical. Electrical work charges more and to me seems easier than an engine rebuild. I've met a few guys that do solely electrical diagnosis on a contract basis, their job is cake and the mechs still have to repair after their diagnosis...

If you are doing some work at home, PM me, I may have something you need...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

You have PM..................

I'm leaning on the electrical as a specialty but total is the main goal..........
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

oldschoolfan wrote:That's funny, I was thinking of wrenching as a less physical back up job.
I guess that would depend on what you're doing now... :shock:

Electrical diagnosis is pretty fun, but it can kill your back/neck if you're working under the dash all the time.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

**UPDATE**

So I've now been unemployed for 3 weeks and had to go to the local government office to keep the check coming whilest looking for a new opportunity..... Talked to a guy about gov funded re-training programs and how I should qualify to get my ASE certs while still having income for free...... :shock: :mrgreen: After getting that taken care of, I have a better chance of working in a nice garage while I can enjoy it. And entry into the ASSET will be a breeze......
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

as much as I loved installing my body could take it towards the end. You are always leaning over or tying yourself into a knot trying to get to the correct wires and it kills you after a while. Good luck in your search, everyone seems to need it these days....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.