And here´s the reason for my collection clearout

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
joerg
SOFA-KING

And here´s the reason for my collection clearout

Post by joerg »

Just in case anybody wondered why i sold most of my gear and kept just enough for one oldschool install:
p_1379147_21295725117.jpg
p_1379147_21295725117.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 12359 times
A nice 2002 BMW 330d touring with only 140000km on the clock. 8)
Got it for 5000grand under list price because the guy that sold it is moving to Canada 8)
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: And here´s the reason for my collection clearout

Post by stipud »

Duuude he should have flown it over to Canada for me... I want a 5spd diesel wagon so bad... :drool:

So jealous.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

too bad, how did he end up stuck in canada?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

ttocs wrote:too bad, how did he end up stuck in canada?

Shit happens :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

hey joerg check this out you can get some really good headers off of ebay for cheap these are the least expensive ones and i believe these ones fit your car. their stainless steel and tig welded and the dudes on the bimmer forums all like them http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E46- ... ccessories ive got some on order for my car. :)
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Thanks for the heads op but my car beeing a dayli driver investing that would be a waste of money.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

yea my car is going to be my daily but im doing it for mileage and performance things like free flowing exhaust better ignition pulleys and a k&n all add performance and fuel economy. but when you get into larger ports bigger valves high lift cams and big fuel injectors then the fuel starts getting sucked down the tailpipes. just a thought but yea i dont even know if you have to pass a emissions test or not. and i think on your car the cats are where the headers go but man they are a major flow restriction. :)
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

is there a brand on that header? I have heard too man horror stories of cheap headers and all the headaches they cause.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

ttocs wrote:is there a brand on that header? I have heard too man horror stories of cheap headers and all the headaches they cause.
actually these are copied from an 800 dollar set of headers but no they dont have a name brand but all the people the buy them say they like them and the quality is quite high for the price. if you can get better than tig welded stainless headers for around the same price i would like to know about it. :)
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

One dollar? WTF? This makes no sense whatsoever.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

oldschoolfan wrote:One dollar? WTF? This makes no sense whatsoever.
i feel ya on that man here's some that are $50+$50 shipping same style header http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhaust- ... ccessories
Last edited by The Golden One on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

The Golden One wrote:
oldschoolfan wrote:One dollar? WTF? This makes no sense whatsoever.
i feel ya on that man here's some are that $50+$50 shipping same style header http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhaust- ... ccessories
Now this I can believe. It is still disgusting that you can have third world labor make things for us this cheap, but believable.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

problem with cheap copied headers is they use cheap steel and always seem to end up more problems down the road. Anyone I know that has bought a cheap/copied header ends up buying something with a name on it 1-2 yrs later after hours of trying to get the exhaust leak to stop. I have heard people recomend using 2 gaskets when you do this just to help them seal up later down the road.

Unfortunatly in both car audio and car performance, you have to pay to play. If you buy cheap, you buy twice. Maybe knock-off bimmer parts are different?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

ttocs wrote:problem with cheap copied headers is they use cheap steel and always seem to end up more problems down the road. Anyone I know that has bought a cheap/copied header ends up buying something with a name on it 1-2 yrs later after hours of trying to get the exhaust leak to stop. I have heard people recomend using 2 gaskets when you do this just to help them seal up later down the road.

Unfortunatly in both car audio and car performance, you have to pay to play. If you buy cheap, you buy twice. Maybe knock-off bimmer parts are different?
Well for $1 each, you could buy 800 of them... :lol:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

and then spend the next 10 yrs swapping them out each year. What is your time worth?
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

they say the headers are t304 stainless who knows they could be lying here's a vid of a bimmer from my cars era with ebay header's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1de3X9 ... re=related :)
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

There has to be more to the $1. header story. There is no way you could make any money even if your labor was free. Ok, $50. dollar shipping, maybe they are making a few bucks on that. The headers would have to be stolen and whoever is selling them is happy making a couple bucks off the shipping just to dump them. Even with mild steel and not stainless you could not sustain a business with these prices.

Maybe this is a real clever marketing ploy to put their competition out of business. Once the competition closes their doors these dollar store headers will be priced as they should have been and they will recoup their money? Very risky but maybe?

I just don't get it. But there is more to the story for sure.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yea I go by the rule if it is too good to be true, then I know I will get fucked by it..... I have learned my lesson about auto performance parts already. Good/cheap/fast, pick 2.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

FWIW, T-304 stainless does not look like those headers unless someone polished the fuck out of them. I would be real careful, it looks to me like these guys will write whatever to make a sale, their description says they are "heliarc soldered", heliarc is just the old school name for Tig welding (GTAW), and that would mean that they are welded, not soldered. Then, you have further down where they say that they are mig and tig welded. Mig (GMAW) is a different process all together, and is not and never has been know as heliarc... Neither process could ever be construed as soldering-- lol. My guess is they are cheap ass carbon steal headers that have been chromed-- since you can get a set of carbon steal headers for a V8 from your local auto parts store for about $50-$60 (at least you could last time I shopped), then it doesn't surprise me that you could import some chinese chromed knock offs and fuck a bunch of people. After all, like Scott says, it may take a year or two for you to realize they are crap and not what was described, but by then it is to late.

Looking at some of their other auctions, they also offer a short throw shifter that is nickle plated 6061 T6 billet steel with a blue finish-- LMAO, lots of smart sounding shit there that makes no sense too... 6061 T6 is an aluminum alloy, and the pictures clearly show a part that is anodized blue...

I wouldn't trust them just because it seems they have no idea what they are trying to sell. If they don't know what their materials they are importing are, then how can you trust that the actual item is going to be the right item?

Anyhow, sweet ride Joerg, too bad the PG collection had to be sacrificed for it, but in the time I have known you, I have gotten the feeling that you like to collect them just for the sake of collecting them-- what is this, the third round of rare or LE stuff you have hoarded and then rolled? Good Luck with the new ride mang! Have fun, and get an install in it before you decide to collect something else!!!

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

these headers are actually better than i thought they would be i asked my dad how much he though they are worth and he said $300 that's the same amount i came up with after i looked at them in person. :o and yes they are stainless because i put a magnet on them and it didn't stick, the flanges themself are regular steel but even very expensive headers use it on the flange. the flange is mig welded and the pipes and collector are tig welded i would say these headers are of the same quality as the bbk headers i had on a 5.0 mustang so i have no complant's so far. :)
Attachments
Img00015.jpg
Img00015.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 12204 times
Img00003.jpg
Img00003.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 12209 times
Img00000.jpg
Img00000.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 12209 times
Last edited by The Golden One on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

My only complaint about these cheapie weebay headers is removing the original pair of manifolds. They aren't equal length, but surely better than the OEM manifolds with my clogged cats. The install is horrible, but looks so easy...
Hello earthling...
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

00goobs wrote:My only complaint about these cheapie weebay headers is removing the original pair of manifolds. They aren't equal length, but surely better than the OEM manifolds with my clogged cats. The install is horrible, but looks so easy...
Hello earthling...
yea ive got all the bolts out of my manifold's except for one that hooks to the exaust pipe and it is hard to access but that's to be expected in doing something like this. :shaking:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I put a set of BBK's on my stang 2 yrs ago and have not had to think about them since. Hope these work out for you.

I was lookin through my new copy of summit racing that arrived today and was suprised to see how well I made out on my Magnaflow catted true-x pipe. I got in in phoenix on criagslist for a $100, never realized it was a $400+ pipe. It wasn't on a lowered car so there was not even a scratch on it, he only had it on for 6 months.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

got all that cast iron junk on the ground(break time) ima make a sorta x pipe and cut the cats no emissions in the county. :) ill give you an example of how cats suck, i cut the ones on my 944 and it caught 3rd gear after that when before it just caught 2nd maybe i can get the same with this bmtroubleyou. :)
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

For a dollar plus $50 for shipping I would try them if I had a bmw. I paid over $300 for flowtech headers on my truck and they were absolute garbage these can't be worse. I can swap both headers in less than 1 hour so It would be worth it try for me, I finally went to a set of ceramic sanderson's on my truck.

Joerg your BMW looks awesome good deal on it too.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.