Electric Supercharger

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Electric Supercharger

Post by ydnap »

Just ordered one.

3-6 hp gain on 12v but I have a tech sheet with 24 and 36 volt being fed to the motor and it's alot more impressive then lol..

Was $60. So anything for that much will be a welcome gain :) I'll get pics and stuff when I fit it :) and hopefully a video of it in action too :)
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Read about it, not certain if the hype is worth the hassle.

Keep us posted..........
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

VW337 wrote:Read about it, not certain if the hype is worth the hassle.

Keep us posted..........
I feel the same way.

I found this online:

http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/eturbo.asp
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Don't forget to install a Vortex generator while you're at it. Good for 15 horsepower and improves fuel efficiency!
http://www.spiralmax.com/sm_photo.htm

And make sure you install a Magnetic FuelSaver too, you'll save like $10 every tank!
http://www.tinet.org/~sje/mag_fuel.htm

Pandy you retard... :roll:
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

LOL

that's all I have to say about this...
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

stipud wrote: ........... you'll save like $10 every tank!

Where were you with this earlier when I paid $41.00 for my 11.3 gallons of gas today?
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

OK I should explain a few things.

1. my car is N/A. I have done all the minor work to get the cheap gains, namely -

AEM clone intake
Quad plat plugs and 9mm wires.
Throttle body cooling bypass (tiburon specific)

And am currently port polishing a throttle body I picked up from the dude I got my rims from. Well actually a friend of mine is doing that :)

I dont want a turbo. For a couple of reasons..I want to keep my internals stock and Tiburons are bastards to charge with a turbo.

2. I have been studying electric chargers for months, and you're right.. They provide VERY little gain when wired up conventionally.

3. A electric inline booster DOES exist that works very well, providing 7-15 hp with low end torque gain.

Here - http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

I have read reviews from car critics and they do as they say, they do however flex and are built pretty shit.. Note how the 12v one is $300 or more, the 'upgrade' one is $600 or so? Well thankfully I know what is going on with the 'upgrade one' and how these chargers are built and work.

Mine was $60, pictured here -

So what is that clump? basically it's a boat engine cooler that pumps water into the engine block of a boat to keep it cool. It shifts 250 CFM of air, cars feel boost around 440 (using the audi 1.8T as an example..) so it aint gonna do much on 12 volts.

The secret here, one that noone really looks into is that on 12v the spool time is plain gay. Electric 'chargers' are all the same, they use a heater blower motor in whatever assmebly theyre put into (be it a nice one like the above pic (pump) or a shrewd home made device.. but they all have a turbine fan, main fan and diffuser and pump air.

Those motors can hold ALOT of voltage, they have been tried and tested to take 48 volts easily. However finding the switches and relays needed to hold the ampage 4 batteries in series can produce is next to impossible. So one should roll with the 24 or 36 volt setup.

Doubling the voltage does a few very interesting things, namely -

Makes the motor spool ALOT quicker. Those motors can push 475 CFM max when on 24 volt.

At that voltage I can expect to see anywhere from 7-15 hp gain. Small I know, but for $100 all in? that's the cheapest way for me to gain that much HP where I stand now.

Other options are -

Cat back exhaust - $350 and up for a shit low end apexi and then a sure inspection failure.

1.8l tiburon cam - $150 and will gain me 5-7 hp and require in depth engine work.

So 7 extra horses for $100 and no major work is the cheapest way for me to get more power.

I'm being VERY realistic about this, and have done ALOT of homework. The 7hp gain isnt much but with more air and more pressure (Im not going to call it boost, more like an air ram) I am sure to gain low end torque, something the tib needs to get it off the line (very heavy little car).

All I have left to aquire is a 12v motorbike battery (breaking yard around the corner) and a switch to switch it from run to charge. I also got a volt meter that'll read up to 60v today from biglots, so Ill know when to switch it to charge. Nicest part is I can turn it off and on whenever I wish, so itll be good all round. :)

And here is how it wires up :) Cecil, do you have one of these DPDT switches kicking around? or know where I can get one from?

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

yip thats fucking brilliant :D seen it the other day lmao

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Boy that Alanis Morisette sure makes the point.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

congratulations pandy....you can put a "powered by craftsman" sticker on your car now.

on the real though.....you just got pw3d for $60.....you could have bought rsd componets for nbot much more
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

The eBay bilge pump style electric superchargers have been debunked over and over. No question they are useless and rather reduce performance due to creating more restriction in the intake.

The E-Ram only runs at full throttle and the rest of the time acts a restriction in the intake. I can't particularly vouch for it's performance while "on" at full throttle, though.

The guy who runs or does PR for E-Ram goes into pretty much any forum discussing his product and provides "proof" that it "works". I haven't read anything that has convinced me that these things provide any noticeable increase in power. All the information around them is hype up marketing shit. What I'd really love to see is a comprehensive independent test on various vehicles and engines.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:The eBay bilge pump style electric superchargers have been debunked over and over. No question they are useless and rather reduce performance due to creating more restriction in the intake..
This is something that has been said by hundreds of people all over the net, but noone has yet to actually prove that when it isnt spinning it actually restricts anything. Air will make the turbine fan spin, and even if it doesnt the air can quite easily move through the pump without the fan on.
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote: The E-Ram only runs at full throttle and the rest of the time acts a restriction in the intake. I can't particularly vouch for it's performance while "on" at full throttle, though...
All of these systems can be tuned to activate whenever you want them to. if you look back at the setup pic I posted you can see that its nothing but a push button that is pressed by the throttle plate moving around. So you can adjust that switch to kick in at any RPM range (even right away).
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:The guy who runs or does PR for E-Ram goes into pretty much any forum discussing his product and provides "proof" that it "works". I haven't read anything that has convinced me that these things provide any noticeable increase in power. All the information around them is hype up marketing shit. What I'd really love to see is a comprehensive independent test on various vehicles and engines.
I have read numerous test results on various engines. One of the sites actually had a vehicle selector where you could chose your vehicle (if it was tested) and see what to expect.

You're right about the pumps tho, @ 12v they do VERY little. And the problem is that noone ever sets them up as they should be, with 2-3x the voltage to get them spinning fast enough to generate any noticable results.

I was thinking about taking a speed controller from a tamiya RC car and using that with a connection to the throttle plate, that way the fan will get faster the more I accel.. Either way the only real way to see what is going to happen with this thing is to try it out. $60 I can manage, the tinker time alone is worth it for that.. I have spent alot more on other stuff that within 20 mins has ended up in the closet never to see light again..

4cyl 2 litre is pretty much the biggest engine worth doing this to, I can see why on a v6 it would be a bit stupid..

As I said, Im not expecting miracles.. Oddly enough 99% of people who say they dont work have never actually set one up, and, have never given one 24-36 volts. If you can find me someone who has documented this with the specs Im planning on I would like to see it.. It's mainly a case of people shooting down ideas that they havent tried.

Case in point I will go back to that thing Stip was talking about.. Vortex was it? the silly air spinner that sits in your intake?

A friend of mine has a old truck. He has told me it has more top end now than it did before.

On these charger ideas, the improved gas milage thing is totally a crock of shit, with more air itll use more gas for a bigger bang.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

VW337 wrote:
stipud wrote: ........... you'll save like $10 every tank!

Where were you with this earlier when I paid $41.00 for my 11.3 gallons of gas today?
wtf ! you runing 100 oct with a race file ?
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

They actually do make really electric superchargers that make real amount of boost. The cost $2000-3000.

As long you aren't expecting a miracle in term of gain, you should be alright. I wouldn't open my hood for anyone thought, cause I would laugh my ass off if I saw anyone running one :lol:
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

BTW In the vidoe, the bottle of N20 just spraying into the intake is such a bad idea...
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

dgoodhue wrote:They actually do make really electric superchargers that make real amount of boost. The cost $2000-3000.

As long you aren't expecting a miracle in term of gain, you should be alright. I wouldn't open my hood for anyone thought, cause I would laugh my ass off if I saw anyone running one :lol:
I'm imagining it would sound pretty cool as it goes. The motor will be silent seeing as it's a bearing driven so I should get a nice whistley whoosh lol..

TBH the tib is pretty much done as far as everything goes. I still have the trunk to tidy up (cover panels for the wiring and a storage box) but once the body is done and the rims are on and all the black accents are on there itll be pretty much complete, then I want to enjoy it :)

This will just give me something to play with, and hey as I have said if I gain 7 horses and it makes a cool noise? all the better :D

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

lol I got it.. Just got it home and connected it to a 19.2v drill battery and its insane.. Makes a really cool whizzing noise and you have to hold it from spinning all over the place.

With 24v this thing should really whoosh :D

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

So after having lots of fun with this thing last night (sending carrier bags flying all around the living room and inflating my cheeks lol) I started to look into how it all goes together (total strip down time).

First thing I noticed was the main body seal doesnt have a gasket. No probs, I can make one from rubber sheeting easy enough.

Then I noticed the motor WAS gasketed, I would imagine to keep any moisture out, so that one is ok.

The self tapping screws that hold the body together are going and being replaced with nuts and bolts for a better seal, and there were 3 breather holes in the main body.. I would imagine this is incase in it's proper usage it gets blocked at the opening. Well I didnt need them so I took some black tack, wrapped it around self tapping screws and blocked the holes air tight.. I noticed this when I put my hand over the opening (apart from the nice red whelt you got from the suction) that it was 'breathing'...

Anyways, the last (and most important part) that I saw was that it has no impellor to draw the air in rapidly. This was a problem because I know that all real turbo chargers and superchargers use an impellor.. All it is is a fan that draws air down into the blower, but provides ALOT more CFM.

I realised that the impellor should be between 1 1/2" and 2" to get air into the 2 3/4 tube it needed to sit in so I got out my pc parts box and found the perfect fan.. 2" pc fan.

Took it apart, and noted that the fan itself sat on a metal pole.. The blower fan had a piece in the middle so all I needed was some kind of plastic adapter pole and I could mount it.

Searching around I found a sharpie, and what would you know? the lid slotted perfectly over the bottom of the blower fan's central pole, and, had a small central mark in the top to drill a hole in..

Got out the scalpel, removed the clip from the lid, sanded it smooth and drilled a hole for the impellor.. All I need to do now is epoxy it together.

But with the impellor working and those 3 holes sealed up you can hardly hold this thing down now, it spins all around the floor when you give it 19.2v lmao.

Modders heaven since 1911

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

:idiot:
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

My mother had a saying.. made alot of sense..

"Just because you wouldnt it doesnt mean that somebody else shouldnt"

Ill hook up my webcam soon, maybe when you see what kind of air this thing can shift you will see that I may gain a few horses.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

So your hand welts when you cover up the intake of the fan with it?

Cover up the intake of your car with your hand and see what happens... something tells me your car is sucking in far more air than that thing blows, especially at any kind of revs.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I get a feeling of deja vu and a stalling engine.. Im sure I have done that before lol.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
T.A.S.

Post by T.A.S. »

this is a joke right ..please tell me it not real and its just a gag.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

T.A.S. wrote:this is a joke right ..please tell me it not real and its just a gag.
we all thought that at first too..... :cry: