Ignition problems (GM passlock)

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
joyride

Ignition problems (GM passlock)

Post by joyride »

Well, I started on taking my car apart to make it IASCA compatable. I began with the power cable and mounted the breaker. I simply removed the + on the battery for an hour while I heat shrunk the terminals. I knew I wasnt going to be using the stereo so I left it disconnected and just put the main vehicle power on.

Everything looked normal, the alarm startyed going off as it aways does when you reconnect power to it. I hopped back in the car, tun the key and nothing. I dont even get a click like it is trying to turn over. Everything else works fine, lights, radio, dash. It just doesnt attempt to turn over.

After doing some research, I think that it may be GM's passkey security system. Apparently the first thing the tech guys blame is an aftermarket security system. Any of you guys ever see this problem before? By the way, its a 2001 impala (the year with all the defects)
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

solution = buy a VW :lol:

when instaling the alarm I think the instalers instal a bypass modual with the alarm, try removing power and reconecting it.

Also wait for vw337 to chime in as he would have more insight on this.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

First what type of alarm is it? If you disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it then goes off, it is likely an older unit which may need some reprogramming after a loss of power as most newer units will remember system status upon a power failure.

This leads me to believe that the starter kill is possibly wired as normally open very common for older clifford and should not need programming, however when other units are wired this way you have to program them other wise they will not provide an output so that you can start the vehicle.

To test this drop the lower panel on your dash look for a 1inch black cube tied into your main ignition harness. You should see two larger wires connected to pins 30 and 87 or 30 and 87a. If you connect these two wires with a jumper the vehicle should start, if not then it is a Passlock issue.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
joyride

Post by joyride »

Today I walked out, about to go unwire the alarm and I figured I would give it a teast. Sure enough, it fired up. Everything seems to be going normal again, so Im just going to pray it doesnt happen anytime soon. I am going to take it in and have it looked over.
Wink

Post by Wink »

i love VW's when they get a messed up part..take it out and the car still woks..love the germans...lol.
Boxing Is My Life So Dont Try To Take My Life [img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/1Winky/Boxing_match.gif[/img]