new exaust

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

new exaust

Post by Mackenzie »

I finally got my new car as of yesterday. Its an 2002 crownvictoria, and im looking to add a new exaust system to it. I dont want it to sound to to agressive, but nice. I dont want to spend a ton of money on it, as I have other things i want to accomplish. Here is a crown vic, and the mercury that I think sound nice. Links?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTh3LKIONg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2OhIuGtpqU
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

mack I think the first vid was a 40 series flow master it can have some interior drone.. not wicked bad but still there.

look at the link and it give some info.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

BTW I have the 70 series on my truck and it still sounds great after 5 years its a good grunt sound without being unbrearible on the interior drone.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

40 series sounds nice.

I ve heard it and the 70 series as well. I like the 40 series a little better.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

If i just got the mufler, would I still gain any hp, or just the tone. I need to contact my dealer before I do anything, because i dont want to void the warranty, although i dont think the exaust or mufler will, but i want to be sure.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

dealer can not void your warranty unless they determine and prove that the modification messed up the car.

Just the muffler will add some HP and maybe alittle bit of milage.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

But will adding just the muffler be anywhere as good as the exaust system? I dont plan on supercharging it or anything due to it voiding the warranty, but I was thinking of possibly getting a chip/ having someone dial in more power. Any thoughts on that?
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

a full true dual exhaust system on a v8 is nice and free flowing but I doubt it would really help a whole hell of a lot
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

I hate flowmasters and the inherent drone... IMO they only sound good at WOT.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

Mackenzie wrote:But will adding just the muffler be anywhere as good as the exaust system? I dont plan on supercharging it or anything due to it voiding the warranty, but I was thinking of possibly getting a chip/ having someone dial in more power. Any thoughts on that?
Mack if yo chip it most MFG say it viods youre eng portion of the Warranty.

a dual exaust will mostly be over looked by a daeler unless they are just pricks.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Okay, so possibly just the new exaust, and maybe some performance spark plugs and wires will help some? I was also thinking maybe an intake aswell. Aslong as it does not void the warranty.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

see these are all questions you have to ask your dealer, I know it sucks when you want to stay within the warrenty when moding as the task becomes much harder.
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

Working as a mechanic in a Ford dealer I can tell you this. It is absolutly the decision of the shop manager at your dealership whether or not to void your warrenty because of performance add ons.

Exhaust is OK as long as the cats are in place. No cats, no warranty.

Plugs and wires ok, no warranty probs there. Intake just depends. If you put on a high perf intake and then have vacuum probs, or anything related to the intake, it won't be warranty. If your just talking about a cold air intake tube and high flow filter, again as long as you don't screw up the mass air sensor when you put it on, warranty is no prob.

If you chip it, just make sure you unchip it before you have any warranty work done. :wink:

Since it's an 02, I question what warranty you have on it. Factory is 3 yrs 36,000 miles, So you should be out or nearly out on time. If it is an aftermarket warranty then if your dealer likes you he can lie to the warranty company about mods anyway.

Hope I've helped some.
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

fordtough1 wrote:Working as a mechanic in a Ford dealer I can tell you this. It is absolutly the decision of the shop manager at your dealership whether or not to void your warrenty because of performance add ons.
heh.

“(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.”

the FTC begs to differ.

oh, and they win.
I'm afraid of widths.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

i bought my car from a chrysler dodge, and jeep dealer. the warranty is valid. I have a 2 year, or 36 thousand mile warranty. covers engine, tranny, and electrical. I dont drive much at all, so it will last the 2 full years. Anyways, yea I will have to speak with the dealer. Today i went to a local muffler shop, and they quoted me 200 plus tax for delta 40s, plus the install on my dual exaust crownvic. good price?
Last edited by Mackenzie on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

rlockwood please mod your car..take it in to the dealer when they say you mods caused the problem, use the above and see how far it get you.

not being a dick its just thats been argued over and over and the dealer wins evry time.
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

Mastiff wrote:rlockwood please mod your car..take it in to the dealer when they say you mods caused the problem, use the above and see how far it get you.

not being a dick its just thats been argued over and over and the dealer wins evry time.
It really depends on the dealer/auto maker as well. I have looked getting into an Evo and the only mods dealer allow is drop in K&N and catback exhaust. Even a non OEM clutch void the driveline warrenty. Most dealers will look the other way if they do installation though :roll: Crown Vics aren't exactly an Evo in terms of their target audience though.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

If it is a warranty from another dealer that is great. All I was saying is that a factory warranty can be cancelled because of owner abuse, neglect, or stupidity. On Ford warranty all it take is a call to the distict service engineer. He comes and looks, and if he thinks whatever mods you have done caused the damage, no warranty.

Ive seen it happen. Mostly on diesel pickups with big exhaust and chips and so forth that have been pulling houses and blown their motors. Or dumbasses who blow their tranny or rearend to hell on a mustang and leave all the NOS stuff hooked up so we can see it. :wink:
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I will be giving my dealer a call today to see what i can and cant do.