GAVE my loud pedal a loud button! Quick sound clip of it now

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

GAVE my loud pedal a loud button! Quick sound clip of it now

Post by ttocs »

That's right its not a typo. I have had an idea in my head for a while now that I am looking forward to finally putting to use. For years now I have wondered if it would be possible to put an electronic cut-out on my exhaust to bridge the input/exit of the side exhaust muffler so that when the cut-out is open it will shoot the unrestricted/unmuffled exhaust out the same tip. This week I put the car up on my ramps and looked under it and realized it would be easier then I expected.

All I need to do is to put the Y-pipe into the spot where the extension between my X-pipe and muffler and then shoot the new pipe out to the right. While the side exhaust looks cool and does clear up some of the restrictions that the factory exhaust has it is still one of the more restrictive exhausts just because of the muffler having the entrance/exit on the same side. Obviously opening the cut out will make it a lot louder but I am curious to see how much hp it will add, and if there will be any tq lost. Ordered the kit on tues and its supposed to be here today. Already talked to the shop that will do it and was going to make the appointment yesterday but the guy I have been talking too was out. Should be fun, of course there will be a video for it to show it(hoping the shop will let me shoot some footage of them doing the welding.
Last edited by ttocs on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
zztunnell

Re: going to give my loud pedal a loud button!

Post by zztunnell »

With that muffler set up. Its almost too easy.

Are you going to put an adjustable switch on the gas pedal linkage? That would be cool as shit! You could hook it to the cutout and a sneaky pete NOS system.

WOT=FUN!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure what you mean there with a nos system on my cut out but yea when I looked under there I was amazed with how easy the install will be. I will be able to open it a little or all the way. I already have a switch bank in my ash tray I will be using to control it all.

While they are down there welding with it on the lift they will also be welding in my sub frame connectors. With all the paint scraping being done I am going to get an undercoating of lizard skin ceramic coating done to help with heat and noise. Anyone had any exp with that product?
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

I was talking about how most smaller NOS systems use a switch to cut on at WOT.

I thought it would be cool to have both the cutouts and the NOS activate at WOT.

Of course an manually operated switch would allow you to open cutouts at idle and put around town rattlind the windows and setting off alarms 8).
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh oh oh I gotcha. That might be a pretty cool idea especially since I am going to be doing it a little differently. I have that switch bank in the ash tray that I put in with a number of open spots still that I am going to use rather then the switch they include. Their switch is like a window switch so up/down is open/close. I was afraid that with my system I have the ability to do both at once(open/close) which really should not hurt anything but to protect it I am using a DEI 529T sunroof module to do it. The up side to this is that it also gives me the option to open/close them with my alarm so it will be fun at shows to open them up and then remote start the car. The WOT switch is a pretty cool idea and I could hook it up to the one-touch trigger so that it opens it up until I close it. Just might have to use that....

Here you can see the switch bank in the ash tray as well as the new leather console cover and brake boot made to match the seats.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

gonna be fun!

LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

These will be independently opened? Or run to a single switch?

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

They are opened with a single switch but make sure whenever u install the Badlanz that they are not mounted right after the headers collectors hose. The motors transmissions can´t stand the heat very well and they will fail.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Seems like something that should be able to handle some heat :hmm:
Given its placement on the car and all. I hope there is warranty!

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

The premium brand named QTP (Quick time performance) can be installed right after the collectors hose. But they are more expensive than the Badlanz.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

These are a premium low-profile all metel gear set with a 5 yr warranty. They are going all the way down after the X-pipe and will be bridging the entrance/exit of the exhaust to use the same tip. They will be working with one switch, in fact I will be using a dei 529T sunroof alarm module to control them to ensure they do not burn out. The other advantage to this is that I can hook it up to my alarm easier to open them, then remote start the car. Finally the most funnest part will be that I can install a wide open throttle switch to it as well so that if/when I get on it, it will open them up on its own. Shop is super busy trying to finish some cars and will call me Monday/tues to let me know when they can get me in.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

WOT throttle switch! :thumbs:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

After some talk with the shop doing the sub-frame connectors and the undercoating they said that they thought that it would probably be better to do the cut-outs at an exhaust shop that they recommended. I understood and was going to take it to that shop after the sub-frame connectors and undercoating put on(as well as a new aluminum drive shaft) for the cut outs and dropped it off yesterday morning to get it started. I was half afraid in the afternoon when the phone rang and it was the shop but that quickly changed to joy when it was my guy at the shop telling me that now that they had the one connector welded in and looking at it, he said that he could do the cut-outs. I dropped them off 45 mins later and can't wait to get it back now. Just last week as I was driving along enjoying the nice weather I saw a Harley come up from a good 1/2 mile back till he caught up. For some reason he caught up and then just wanted to ride next to my window.... I sped up, he sped up. I slowed down, he slowed down and the whole time all I could think is that I hope this happens NEXT WEEK! I really can't wait for the day I get a noisy/proud Harley owner next to me to look over and make a face as if to ask,"Why is your car so loud?!". Hopefully I can get it on camera...

I was bored this weekend, it was raining and I wanted to try out the new camera slider I made and motorized. Threw this together just to see how it all looks and will later on balance the nice/slow stuff with some nice loud/fast action(with nearly open headers).
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:I really can't wait for the day I get a noisy/proud Harley owner next to me to look over and make a face as if to ask,"Why is your car so loud?!". Hopefully I can get it on camera...
Please don't stoop to their level. As someone who lives near a busy road I can attest that the solution to Screamin' Eagle, "Loud Pipes Save Lives", "Hey look at me, I desire more attention than a 16 year old teenager with daddy issues." is NOT to combat their ignorance and inconsideration with louder exhaust.

I hope this url works, I couldn't check it.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/2 ... some-heads
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I am not disrespectful enough that I would do it anywhere near a house. I don't even like to take it in/out of my neighborhood now late at night at it sits to keep from bothering the neighbors. As at its current level even when I keep the rpms down its a low rumble when it goes by and I am not that asshole that will be doing this and laughing about it. Now the particular situation I mentioned above would have been the perfect time. We were out surrounded by corn fields and it was obvious the way he was pacing my speed as I sped up/slowed down that he wanted me to enjoy his exhaust as much as I imagine he does. Why wouldn't he want to hear mine???

In all honesty its mainly for shows and small occasions where the situation is right. Obviously a nearly open header mustang(still going through the cats but otherwise open) would not last 5 mins driving around. I hope to have it all together and working by this weekend as there is the perfect chance to use it to enjoy the reaction. My club was asked to help/host a car show at a local oreily's auto parts store for the 2nd year now this coming weekend. They donate the food that they cook and give away as well as trophy's/dash plaques for the entries and we do our judging a little differently where rather then walk around and look at the cars, we do drive-through judging where they can show us the working features of the car, chat a little, as well as let the judges and any crowd that gathers to watch/listen.

So picture this: A dark mustang with side exhaust pulls into the judging lane with a really wicked rake. Wicked to the point that you would wonder,"why it is it up so high?". Right about that time I air out the air-bags and drop it down, also while opening the cut-outs. Right when everyone is impressed with the air-ride
VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMOMOMOMOMMOMOOMOMOMOM!!!!!! - "WTF was that?"

I will not be open to win anything since my club hosts it but I am still going to ask to go through so I can record the reaction for my own enjoyment.
ttocs

Re: GAVE my loud pedal a loud button! Quick sound clip of it

Post by ttocs »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV68IN3X ... e=youtu.be

[youtube]http://youtu.be/GV68IN3XbY8[/youtube]

Should have used the external mic as the gopro in the case doesn't really catch it. It makes it louder but not as loud as I was afraid it could be since it is after the cats. Gives it a meaner growl though as you can hear the motor/valves more and can't wait too take it out in the country to enjoy.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

I really like how the shop did the conversion! And it sounds great too!

PS: Had to buy a set for my Charger because of the video!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

really now? Did you go with badlanz as well? You car will sound even meaner yet with it. I am really happy with how it changes the sound of mine. Didn't do a huge difference in volume till you are on it a bit but otherwise its a nice sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5V72X7b ... e=youtu.be

[youtube]http://youtu.be/w5V72X7bktM[/youtube]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Been dying to put together another video to show these all in action but the idea of the WOT switch turned out to be a little trickier then I thought. I didn't want to over drive the motors by having them try to open when they were already open and a couple of other minor issues that could cause problems. I reached out for help on another site and was surprised that someone stepped up by designing and building an elegant little solution to it all.
This system allowed the original switch to be used as normal as well as an additional input for a 2nd switch and finally the wot input. I wired the 2nd switch input into the switchplate I installed in my ashtray.
When that switch is pushed the led I installed in my gauges shroud will light up to tell me it has been activated. When it does the module will power the valves open for 3 secs and then leave them open till it is pushed again, then it will power the valves closed.(leds are the silver dots directly above the center section of the wheel between the gauges.
Finally the switch I mounted in a switch-plate I made that goes under the seat out of the way. While I had the seats out I also tore the adj power lumbar out of the old stock seats I had not been able to give away. ame out really nice. I will try to get a pic of the WOT switch tomorrow as its dark now but when it is activated the module will power the valves open for 3 secs, leave them open for 15 secs and then power them closed for 3 secs. Will get a video of it all in action together shortly.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Cool deal.Glad to see you got it sorted out.