It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




 Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 am 

Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 78
Yup, my dads 84 Chevy K5 Blazer that he is going to pass down to me has had a broken gauge cluster since around '99, what happens is the speedometer needle bounces up and down constantly instead of functioning properly, anybody know why? my dad said something about wiring but i need another persons opinion.



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 am 

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:52 am
Posts: 601
Location: Cambridge Ont., Canada
I would replace the speedometer cable.

LL



_________________
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 678
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA/INDIANA
Does it have cruise control ? If it does it will have a servo on the driver side fender that the cable goes to from the transmission then another cable to the speedo that might have a bad gear in it. But check the cables first. It sounds to me like it's the speedo itself as that was a problem with the older cable driven speedo's.



_________________
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:07 pm 

Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 78
wooferdog wrote:
Does it have cruise control ? If it does it will have a servo on the driver side fender that the cable goes to from the transmission then another cable to the speedo that might have a bad gear in it. But check the cables first. It sounds to me like it's the speedo itself as that was a problem with the older cable driven speedo's.


I only got to drive it a few times and i never use cruise control but more than not it should be there



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 678
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA/INDIANA
You can take the cable off that goes to the speedo and connect it to a drill motor. Start it on a slow speed,drill will have to run in reverse and have someone watch it as you speed the drill up and see what it does. If the speedo is still jumping that will tell you the speedo is bad and rule out the other parts.



_________________
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:21 am 

Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 78
wooferdog wrote:
You can take the cable off that goes to the speedo and connect it to a drill motor. Start it on a slow speed,drill will have to run in reverse and have someone watch it as you speed the drill up and see what it does. If the speedo is still jumping that will tell you the speedo is bad and rule out the other parts.


being that its been like this for 13 years you think i might as well go and buy a new gauge



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BROKEN GAUGE CLUSTER
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am 

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:52 am
Posts: 601
Location: Cambridge Ont., Canada
Tony_jr_LGND wrote:
being that its been like this for 13 years you think i might as well go and buy a new gauge



Thats all fine but if it turns out you're gauge is good and the cable or gear is bad, you will be no further ahead. Better off to diagnose and zero in on the actual cause of the problem.

LL



_________________
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: