momstang rebuild begins.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: momstang rebuild begins.

Post by ttocs »

Got the vinegar out and pressure washed the rest and the tank is ready(fuel pump arrived this morning amazingly since I ordered it thurs). As for the cover it still needs to be sanded and smoothed out but I think you can get the idea.
That is where I left it yesterday to finish curing. I need to flip it over and put a thin layer on the back along where I drilled all the holes to ensure it has bounded around it all and then I can start smoothing it out. I was dying to get going on it today but today my chrones has said I cannot go out and play. Its kind of a good news/bad news deal as I normally have 2 or more of these a week and this is the first one I have had in a few weeks. Its not a bad thing as the longer it cures before I start dicking with it is better but I also realized one other bad point. While thinking of what I need to do to it an idea came up of how hard it would be to get some CF sheets and cut/shape/apply them to integrate a diffuser into the cover and realized it would not be all THAT hard to do. Now I am just wondering it it would be worth the delay as it would look perty cool I think....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so the carbon fiber sheets are hopefully on there way and could be here by the weekend. After some thought about it the diffuser idea gave me the chance to correct the one thing that I have always hated about the side exhaust system which is how it lowers the body line in the middle of the car and the back then is higher. There was a cover available years ago to correct this and smooth it out but those are unobtanium now so the only real way to correct it is something custom. This pic shows the difference and the yellow line is what I am hoping to fill in so there is a smooth transition from the bumper to the side skirts.
and forgive the crude drawing skills but this is what I am aiming for. There was going to be an open gap between the gas tank cover and the bumper but I have some mesh(silver octagonal holes) that I am going to use to fill it in. Its shown in the shaded areas although after some though from the back view I am going to bring it down further to cover more of the tank.
and this is where I am at now can't wait to see this done.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well faaaak. The last 2 weeks did not go well. The cover is looking freaking amazing and I can't wait to get the CF sheets to make it a diffuser for ultimate bonus points. While I was waiting for the sheets last week my chrones started to act up. It was one of those slow falls where over 5 days each one was a little worse then the last until finally I was in the ER. So after 3 days there I go home. Took a couple of days to catch up on my sleep and then when I finally woke up this morning, things were not right. The day got worse and 3 days after I was discharged I am right back. It sucks as my insurance charges me about $1200 per visit and after figure up what 8 visits last year cost me $$$ wise let alone the fact I spend nearly a whole month in the hospital. And now this year is getting off to great start...... I think my big brake kit will end up a dream by the time I get all this shit paid off. I have a bunch of audio gear I am selling to help but being sick really sucks especially when you can't change it.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

your healthcare is the shits...1200 a visit? Oh Canada...
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is after insurance hell I would head north just for the skiing and BC bud!!!!! I requested that the patient payment person and got some info from her. IT sounds like I can apply for financial aid that could account for as much as %75 off.... Thankfully the little bit of $$$ I have stashed away in stocks that is basically in the "never touch" fund until the fif his the shan. She said that it shoulnd not matter with how much made. So that was some good news for a change but the bad news - the carbon fiber sheets showed up today AND I CAN'T GO PLAY WITH THEM!...

But it is getting better now. Thankfully the ER was good both times as well as all the staff. Hopefully I can be out tomorrow and after catching up on sleep I can go play.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well its been up/down lately but I have got some stuff done over the past week or so. I got the CF sheets. I was only able to find 2mm thick sheets and wanted something thicker so I got those and decided to just press them together with some resin to make a 4mm sheet. That thickness is probably thicker then I needed but it will give me some room to shape the ends do they are not so square. I discovered that this is some tough stuff as it melted this blade down as you can see.
so like I said, cut them out/pressed together and then ran them across my router so I have 5 fins that match now.
Learnings now while working with carbon fiber.

Some nasty stuff so #1.) wear a resperator. #2.) Wear black #3.) Wear long sleeves(black preferable or it will be) #4.) DO IT OUTSIDE FOR EASIER CLEANING. I made the mistake of doing the first fin inside. When you grind CF or run it across a router it basically makes carbon dust. I am sure an afternoon of this with no resperator would have made me look like a coal miner with black lung.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

started my day off with a nice email. I think the last time I was in the hospital I was bored and dreaming of an oil cooler and some other stuff when I came across a form for sponsorship from mishimito. I had the time so I filled it out and well

"ood afternoon! Thank you for thinking of Mishimoto! We look forward to growing a partnership with you. After reviewing your proposal we are excited to offer you an Associate Sponsorship position from Mishimoto. :) "

I only wish I had found this before I got their radiator last year but I am glad I held off on the oil cooler. Now if I can only get baer brakes to do a sponsoship.....
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

That's pretty cool about Mishimoto. The CF diffuser fins look nice.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Gosh I have been away from the car for too long. Damn dr switched a script and told me to stop all the others I had been doing. So I do it and 4 days later I am puking uncontrollably. I get out and try it again and day 3 is going the exact same way day 3 on the new drug went before I went back to the ER so I stopped that crap but that little hick-up took about 6 weeks out of my life......

I finally took advantage of the Mishimoto deal and made an order.
I just picked up the fan shroud after dropping it off at powder to be coated with gloss black and a clear. This will match the rest of the tanks I have going there and should look smooth as shit as far as I am concerned. I could lick this stuff I like it so much.
I pulled off the manf/serial # badge and the foam tape that seal it to the radiator came on a roll with it so I just applied it after powder. Then I installed the oil cooler kit and was super impressed with the quality on it. You could tell it was a quality piece just from the way it was packed down to the fact all the fasteners were nylon/locking. They used banjo bolts on the output of the thermostatic oil sandwich plate and the AN fittings included and also high quality including their branding on them and the steel braided cable has me afraid I will have to upgrade the rest of my AN hoses to match....

The sandwich plate also had a sensor port on it that allowed my oil pressure gauge to mount to it directly, and I moved my oil temp sensor down into the pan where it will have a better reading of the actual oil temp. You can see the sensor on the lower left.

I had always hated the plumbing monstrosity that I had been told was needed to run the two gauges I wanted too. It also allowed me to put the stock oil pressure gauge back in which does nothing more then tell the stock oil pressure gauge has 6 pounds of pressure on it. Its stupid but with out the the stock gauge was dead and its always bugged me but all around a much cleaner set up with the gauges. This is what it was before....
The cooler has its own mounting bracket that mounts easily up front.
I started putting the motor back together finally and slapped the super charger on it today. I was about to put the PG alt but realized I have to move something to do that first so its going on tomorrow. Had a funny moment while I was trying to remember what plugged in where finding a sensor I didn't remember being there before. It took me a few seconds to remember drilling/tapping the hole in my lower intake to move my air intake temp sensor to the old fox body location so that it will measure the temps after the meth nozzle so the computer knows to add timing or not. I have had my hands on the car since it was new in 94 so no wonder I forgot the project that drilling/tapping that hole became.... I am hoping to get the radiator and all the freshly powdered tanks/shroud on tomorrow as well as to finish the last itty bitty spot I need to prime before painting it all(fingers crossed I can do it before I puke again).
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so after the motor I am excited to get the alternator on and see how bad ass it looks right? So first I go to fit it and its not fitting and after inspection its hitting the harness that plugs into the coolant temp sensor. I remember now that it was close enough that I unplugged the harness and thought I would figure out how to move the sensor or modify the mount later.... Well its later. It was mounted to a pipe that goes the length of the motor to the back that goes to the heater core and I thought if I could bend the pipe just a couple of degrees the sensor should clear it. So I packed the pipe with sand to help keep the shape so it would not collapse and then heated it till it was cherry red and then leaned on it a little to bend it. So then after that I got to put it back in and it is STILL not fitting... WTF!? It fit before and after another inspection now its hitting the valve covers behind it. And its not like just barely hitting I mean its like OMFG its in the way.... After some time I realized I mocked the alt up with my old stamped steel valve covers and then later decided to change to some nicer cast aluminum style, that I then had an AN port welded too it for an oil seperator and had powder coated. These are thicker and a different design that allowed for a little more space. I have seen others that had to modify the valve covers for the alt because the brackets on the front are different on 94/95 and the alt is closer. So wtf one step forward, two steps back. I have another piece I will need some aluminum welding done on so I will get that finished and take the two in to get done.
So how dedicated am I to using this big ass alt? Dedicated enough now to modify/make a mounting bracket to hold it, a bigger hood for it to fit under, modified part of the cooling system and hacked the hell out of my valve covers. Better be a hell of an alt..... :shock:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

such a ton work work.. this is a seriously cool build
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

thanks for the compliment. I was thinking the other day that the list of stuff to do keeps getting smaller but then sometimes I am not sure about that. Vortech had a plastic pipe that went between the throttle body and the supercharger but it was restrictive as it was smaller then the opening at the intake by almost 10mm. This pipe is in between the two and should allow for more flow and now I just need to have the bungs for the bypass valve and the snow meth kit welded onto it at the same time I have the valve cover welded.

Then I get to take the intake back off and swap the valve cover and then I can put it all back on. One step forward, and I am happy with only two back.... most days...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Bfowler wrote:such a ton work work.. this is a seriously cool build
I couldn't agree more!! Keep at it scott.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

thanks guys I appreciate it all. Today was a small but happy step as I made sure the adjustments to the temp sensor and the valve covers will work. Its hard to see I know as its getting really busy in there and I still have the spark plug wires to go as well. The temp sensor is the brass piece on the bottom that now clears and if you look back behind the alt you can see the green tape I used to mark where I cut the valve covers.
I also got the bungs for the bypass valve and the meth nozzle fit so that they can also be welded with the valve covers.
THAT was a PIA! Because of the bend in the pipe I ended up chasing it around a little bit before it finally lined up. Also got the ends I will be using to dress up the hoses rather then just using regular hose clamps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I am trying to get everything in the engine bay finished up and all the little details are killing me. I had to run wiring for the air intake sensor that I moved so it would be downstream from the meth nozzle, still need to connect that later. This one was a bit of a shock to me as while I was cleaning things up I came across the senders harness sticking out of the lower intake and being that its in a new location it took me a few secs to remember what it was and why there was no wires going to it. I also decided I needed to do a rough fit of the diffuser to see that it was still lining up with the bumper before I mounted the two fins on the end of it. Really happy with how this is turning out.
There has been an aftermarket body piece for the side exhaust kit that I have been looking for since I got the side exhaust 10 hrs ago called the ultimate aero cover. It was basically just a cover that went of the bottom of the back bumper and over the gas tank. It helped the side view of the car flow a little better because the side skirts lower the body line of the car a few inches so the pipes can come out. Also by removing the exhaust pipes in the back it made for a little bit of a strange look as it looked lower through the middle and then the back almost looked raised. The covers were made by california designs concepts and are rarer then hens teeth the ONLY one I ever saw come up was damaged and sold for $700 shortly after the add was put up. This pieces will finally fill that gap in back that has been bugging me for years now.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

So in the end after having this alt repowdered and a custom badge made for it. I had to cut a new bracket out of 1/4" stainless to hold it because the stock bracket was too small(and powdered). I had to modify the cooling pipe so the sensor would clear it. I had to cut a hunk out of the valve covers and then have it welded back in place. And then of course a different/offboard voltage regulator but now I have made it fit...... Next step is to take the fan off and polish the front up with the newer polishing wheels I got as well as the intake pipe I also had the bypass valve and meth kit nozzle welded too needs a run on the wheels as well but this was happy day to finally see the thing mounted were it will end up.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The list gets shorter, and yet is still too damn long. Since I was finally able to mount the alt I scraped the powder off of the areas that it will be grounded, gave the fan a good polishing and then finally torqued it down after running the coolant hose that goes under it. Not really sure why since the 2nd lug on the top is for a ground that is 0 awg going to the chassis but I am sure every little bit helps. I stabbed the distributor, slapped on the upper intake and wiggled on the new pipe I had cut and welded after also giving it a good polish. I am having problems finding hose big enough for the bypass valve so its just hanging there for now but I also need to make a mount to hold it.
I also got out my PG 200 amp circuit breaker I have been saving for this. The top with the writing all looked pretty good but the bases color had faded to a light green that was ugly so I have some paint drying on it now. while I am trying to hide most of the cables/crap the power wires will come down the top of the motor. The circuit breaker is going to mount to the top of the throttle body about where the power cable ends in that pic after I make a mount for it. I also realized I didn't have enough of the 0 awg rings for this so I ordered them.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

a few more steps. I cut/polished the plate that my aftermarket intake temp sensor mounted to. Its hard to see behind the throttle body bracket that I am so happy I finally found. I had been searching for it for 3 days and had actually started to look at what a replacement would cost me(raped on ebay for $50 or the junk yard). I decided to check one more place before I gave up and it was not there and just out of desperation I checked the place I thought I put it and had checked 2 other times only to finally find it there... I swear we have small elves that like to play tricks on me and hide stuff. I also made the mount for the circuit breaker so it is nice and solid front/center. I am just waiting on the rest of my audio jewelry(the rest of the nice ring terminals like the one shown) and they should be here tomorrow.
I was glad I had saved all my wire scraps as this one will be perfect!
Last edited by ttocs on Thu May 26, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I got a lot of little stuff back on it. They are small steps but they are getting torqued down hopefully to stay. I installed the meth pump and ran the power cables and hoses for it to get it running. I am really happy that I did manage to tuck the nozzle up under the pipe to where it is pretty much invisable. I was waiting all day for the mail lady for those rings as I have been dying too see the big ass alt connected with two big ass PG connectors going to two more big ass 0 awg pg power wire to another big ass phoenix gold connector that is on a phoenix gold 200 amp breaker. I have more gold in the first 8" of my power source then most have in an entire system.... DO YOU PG BRO?!?@?
I was looking forward to installing it after cooking dinner tonight and it should have been easy to to with only two nuts holding it down until I have more gold in he first foot of my power source then most have in their entire car I finally had them in my grubby little hands and picked the power wire scrap I was going to use between the breaker and the alt. As soon as I got them I started to put the ends on that terminate that power wire. I choose the power wire from my scap box as its just he perfect size and had the phoenix gold logo on it. So I made the 8 inch wire, peeled the red phoenix gold indicators and applied them so they are front/center when you see it.

So then dinner comes/goes. Shortly after I got sick and ended up puking for 6 hours before I called it quits and went back into the ER. I swear it knows when I am making progress and my secret hope to go up and see the indy 500 this year. Seems like any time I hope to have plans it screws me up.... On top of that I had almost saved enough cash saved up for a nice baer brake set up but instead I get to pay medical bills now.........
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well a 10% off holiday sale at baer brakes means I have a low checking account and I will have no excuses as to why it will not stop fast enough from now on. I Can't lie that one hurt a bit but it will be bad ass..... After a LOT of thought I decided to pull the trigger and get as good a set as I could after selling anything I am not currently using. I am going with the 14" slotted 6 piston pro series up front

and the SS4+ 4 piston 13" rear

all controlled by their master cylinder they call the Remaster.
I could not decide on a color to go with so after a lot of thought I decided I wanted them polished. Only part that sucked there is that the polished option would have been another $450 so I asked if I could get them raw/unfinished so I could polish them myself since I have all the stuff to do it and thankfully they were happy to help. So I saved some cash there and the holiday sale ah shit who am I kidding I didn't save shit :doh: and am still excited :clap:

In case you forgot the wheels they will be behind the 19" should be big enough to clear the 14". I think the polished lip on the wheels along with the polished calipers will look killer. Still not sure what color to make the letters although something maybe just a little darker then the grey on the wheels sounds good. Maybe a nice graphite metallic or something...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Those brakes are bad assssss. Should have called this a frame off restoration. ....o wait mustangs don't have frames :lol: Going to be sweet when you are finished :clap:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the brakes canNOT get here fast enough....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

hey check this out. Its JUST big enough to fit a motor in there!!!
I forgot how tight it got in there. Today as I was trying to reach down to get something from below for the first time the rad and crap at the top was in the way. Its so nice to see the motor looking like it should and even better yet the way I was imagining. I could not be happier with the black/polished look other then the time it will take to keep it looking like that. I ordered a $60 2 part california purple polish today and found myself waxing parts under the hood I have never done before...

They told me that it was 2 weeks lead time on production for the brakes and don't think I have been counting down till friday when that is reached...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Looks great!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

SUPER EXCITING NEWS..... This means something.

space was at a premium.
but after 3 coats.
I know of two runs I will be correcting today. One was when I just got too close to the gun on the mirrors, the other I ran out of hose and when the gun stopped, the run began. I know of two bugs that got on it and then a spot where some water might have got kicked up on it. It all should be easily correctable with some wet sanding and probably a light dust of color before I start the clear tonight. But its green gain :clap: oh and brakes will be here monday to start polishing them.